Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off I want say thanks to MWT's (for being here for all of us to get together :2thumbsup: ), to Upland Wings (for allowing the kids to hunt on their property :2thumbsup: ), to Larry the Guide (for everything he did for the boys which you will read about in the post :2thumbsup: ), to justbob (for getting this all set up :2thumbsup: ), and off course can't forget Da Reb (for the goodies for the kiddo's and the adulto's and everything else you do :2thumbsup: ).

Also I want to say for the guy's that were supposed to hunt on sunday, that I don't believe it would of been worth it and the temps alone would of made me think twice about going out today with the kids BRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!! I've talked to Reb and if your interested we can either hookem up for a hunt down here on the Da Como, BS, or at the Honey Hole. Da Reb does have those goodies that he will get to you one way or another.

Well our trip started out leaving the house about 5:30 to head up to Da Reb's to pick up a few items. After leaving there, headed over to BPS to pick up a few items for the weekend and stopped at Wendy's for some dinner. Get up to the Tackle Box around 10:30pm (yes a 5 hour trip, that shoulda been done in 3 1/2 minus the stops). Call Bob to let him know that we made it and get all unloaded. Bob let's us know that Hodawg and his boy's will there about 5:30 or so and that guide will be there about 5am, so we set the alarm for 4:45am and hit the sack. Get up and like clock work, Larry the Guide shows up at 5am and shortly there after Hodawg and his boy's Justin and Tyler show up. After some brief greetings and discussions on the game plan we pack it up head to site. After about a 10 minute drive on blacktop and then about another 10 minute drive on dirt thru the woods we were where Larry told us we would be. Larry stated earlier that due to some chores at work he would have to leave shortly after he got us orientated to the area. After short walk from the trucks we get to the water. After busting a hole in the ice and setting out the dekes the boy's sat and watched, and sat and watched. We sat and watched for about 3 hours and nothing but tweety birds and few crow's. Larry get's a phone call and after a few minutes he say's let go check out the other ponds on the area. After driving around for awhile and seeing nothing on the water's (which is a very duck looking area and could see how it could hold ducks if it weren't froze up) decided to pack it up and call it a morning.

Hodawgs boy's Tyler and Justin with Whit.

Da crew.

Well before breaking the news to the boy's, Hodawg and I were talking w/ Larry and asked about someplace to get some skeet and atleast let the boy's get some shooting in. Larry said he could do one better than that and if they'll catch some pheasant and chuckar, or chickens as he called em, they could go to the lodge and them hunt behind his dawgs Jody and Sally. So we tell the boy's about it and they were all pumped about doing that, more so than duck hunting I do believe. So we pack it up and head to the Tackle Box to change out, of course we weren't set up for a upland hunt so all the boy's had were bluejeans and tennis shoes. After that we head over to the Iron Mine that Larry manages/runs and the boy's got to do some chicken chasin', (which was probably one of the funniest things I seen in awhile, watching the four kids and Larry chase the chuckar and pheasant around). Larry let them chase down 8 chickens including one beautiful rooster pheasant that was supposed to be the prize bird but got away from the boy's early in the hunt and never could find.

Almost got it.

1 down 7 to go.

Almost got em'

Got em cornered.

Da prize bird.

After about 15 to 20 minutes of chasing down their 8 chickens we head to the lodge at Upland Wings which I have to say is a pretty awsome setup they have there :2thumbsup::rock:. Larry pick up his 2 dawgs Jody and Sally and met us over at the lodge. Larry hooked the boy's up with some bird shot and hunter orange vest for all the boy's and gave us a tour of the place. We head up the hill where Larry set all the birds out. Then the hunt began.

All loaded up and ready to go

Sally on point and Jody honoring.

Da crew getting lined up.

2 of the boy's creepin' in while Jody was on point while Larry was trying to get the bird up.

Jamie doing what he did best, eat pop tarts ;).

Jamie with the chuckar that Whit retrieved and Jody pointed.

Da crew (Justin, Alex, Whit, Jamie, and Tyler) and the plug for Upland Wings ;).

Well, that's the trip in a rather large nut shell and after heading back to the Tackle Box to pack up we all headed to the Du Kum Inn Restaurant in Sullivan for a enjoyable late lunch/early dinner with Larry. Larry is a top notch guy that definately made this hunt well worth it and if it wasn't for him the boy's probably wouldn't of gotten off a shot as well as getting to get their first taste of hunting upland birds. Now that's all I've heard since yesterday on when we can that again ;).

·
Registered
9,727 Posts
tell you that right there deserves a big thank you fromm all of us way to do it for the kids upland bird makes me want to get my kids in on that next year:woot::woot:

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Glad you fellas had a safe trip!! Did the boys toes get cold in tennis shoes?

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
This is Justin. Thanks again to John, Alex, and Jamie for all the help. I had a really awesome time. Thanks to justbob, rebel, and Larry for the opportunity.(and of course, Whitney, Sally, and Jodie) I had a graet time, even though no ducks were seen. I had a great time hunting behind the dogs, and hope to do it again someday.....
Thanks again to everyone involved in giving me this opportunity. It is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Originally posted by Bowhunter417
Glad you fellas had a safe trip!! Did the boys toes get cold in tennis shoes?
Surprisingly they didn't, or atleast they didn't complain about em being cold. It could of been all the walking around that kept em warm as about half way thru they were sheding clothes ;).

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Justin, it was a good to meet and hunt with you guys as well and as I told your dad if you guys ever want to come down here and hunt some weekend just let me know.

·
17,685 Posts
:kewlpics::kewlpics::kewlpics:

:cheers::cheers::cheers:

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Originally posted by hodawg
Alright, thanks again. If we ever do come down, tell Jamie we'll supply the pop-tarts.......
:rof2::rof2::rof2:

He'd be one happy kid fo sho :pop:

Thanks again for the cookies and that nogbread was pretty good :2thumbsup:

·
Registered
17,011 Posts
congrats boys,

if you want the boys on ducks we will have to hook them up with chukkle, he evidently has put guys on ducks everyday that bdm or i don't go with him. garuanteed duck massacre.:rof2:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts