Muzzleloading Shotgun Results

Discussion in 'Muzzleloaders' started by Landlover, Apr 3, 2006.

1. Landlover

Landlover Active Member

Jan 10, 2006
    Springfield, MO
    Well I went to the range today and shot the new muzzleloading shotgun barrel on my CVA Optima. I was really impressed with the way the barrel looked and shot. It was $129 and had a very nice set of Williams fiber optic sights.

The load I ended up liking the best was 100 grains of loose 777, 2 CVA fiber wads, 2 oz. of #6 lead shot, and 1 fiber wad over the shot. It shot very well at 20, 30, and 40. I am going to try to attach my 40 yard target, but since it is my first venture in posting a picture here, I might need help.

2. Lefty

Lefty New Member

Jun 29, 2004
    MO
    Looks like a great shooting gun!
    That's a dead turkey for sure!
    :cheers::cheers:

And you did good on the pic posting... A bit too big, but I'm sure one of the mods will help ya out with that!

3. Landlover

Landlover Active Member

Jan 10, 2006
    Springfield, MO
    I don't know how to resize it, but I am sure someone will tell me. The one thing about it being sooo big is, you won't have to zoom in!

4. FiremanBrad

FiremanBrad New Member

Congrats on the new gun Landlover...Looks like a dead bird to me!!! Does it have screw in chokes? The farthest I've killed with my ML shotgun is 33 yards, and it poleaxed him....Also get great patterns out to 40 with 80 gr. of Pyrodex and 2 oz of #6 lead shot.

5. coyotehunter

coyotehunter PURE KILLER

Jan 19, 2005
    mexico,mo.
    looks like a dead turk to me.might haveto think about getting me one of those barrels.

6. Landlover

Landlover Active Member

Jan 10, 2006
    Springfield, MO
    Fireman

Yes it has screw in chokes and I used the one that it came with (x-full turkey). The choke system is compatible with the Invector screw in chokes. I have a buddy that claims mler's won't penetrate very well. Is there any truth to this?

7. shortmag

shortmag New Member

Feb 22, 2006
    that's one dead bird! I shoot the knight TK 2000. I have found it performs the best with a mixture of 1oz #6 lead and 1oz #4 lead. Did you try mixing different size shot? Just a suggestion the way that's shooting it will kill the bird just like that. I too use 777 100 gr and a shot cup. Good shooting.

8. Landlover

Landlover Active Member

Jan 10, 2006
    Springfield, MO
    shortmag

Do you use a shot cup with a screw in choke? I was under the impression I would have to screw the choke tube off to load it that way. To answer your quesion, no I didn't try any different combinations. I had several different shot sizes on hand, but didn't use them because the 6's patterned so well. I plan on trying some different loads this summer, but I was pretty limited with time that day. I had two boys (5 & 7) that wanted to fly kites and somehow the load development took a back seat. We had a great time flying kites and I was very happy with the way the gun performed.

9. oneshot 1

oneshot 1 Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2003
    Ozarks
    CVA should have some taperd Cups,so you won't have to remove the Choke.I have some Cups for my White but I don't like them.

In my White I use a thin Felt Wad over my Over Powder Card.My CVA hates Felt Wads.

oneshot
    :D The Big Grin likes Feathers.

10. FiremanBrad

FiremanBrad New Member

I'm thinkin your buddy doesn't turkey hunt with one....I've probably killed a dozen or so birds with mine, never had one run off with my breast meat!!! Most have been 20 yds or less, and like I said farthest was 33 yds...I couldn't have killed him any deader with a 3 1/2" mag!!! I would have to believe copper plated shot would probably penetrate better than the plain lead shot I use, maybe that is what your buddy is thinking. But, the lead shot works just fine for me...See if he'll let ya shoot some at him for a test....lol

I use Xfulls in mine too

11. Landlover

Landlover Active Member

Jan 10, 2006
    Springfield, MO
    Actually he has hunted with a muzzleloading shotgun. He shoots a TC New Englander w/screw in full choke, I believe. He stated that he shot a tin can at 30 yds. and all it did was dent the can. He did this after he shot at and didn't harvest a bird @ 25 yds. He was with me when we patterned my gun and said that his gun didn't even come close to patterning like mine. Another difference we have is he shoots black powder instead of 777 and he uses equal parts of powder and shot. I figured out that about 70 grains of #6's in the black powder scale= 1 oz. of shot. I do plan on a penetration test vs. a 3 1/2 mag load, using a phone book @ 30 yds. Do you guys have any ideas of what I could use to resemble the penetration needed to kill a turkey?

12. FiremanBrad

FiremanBrad New Member

An egg!!!!! It's about the right size, and thickness too.

I'd say he should try more shot...I know the old rules are equal parts, but I like to throw more lead down range...

13. Landlover

Landlover Active Member

Jan 10, 2006
    Springfield, MO
    He is going to try more shot and 777 this weekend in his. He had stopped shooting his shotgun after he did his little penetration test. He told me I should try equal parts because an old guy that shot muzzleloading shotguns all of the time told him that. However, I didn't think that would be enough shot. I am not going to be able to go to pattern his, but I will let you know how it does.

14. FiremanBrad

FiremanBrad New Member

Equal parts is the old rule of thumb, for sure...I think historically, that was the recommended load...I load mine a bit heavy....lol

15. runner

runner New Member

Sep 24, 2004
    Using the one to one loads, you keep the speed up for good penetration, but the pattern suffers. If you use a lot more shot than powder, you loose about 200 fps in velocity. It is a balancing act. You test starting at an equal load and slowly increase the shot until you get a good reliable pattern. Once you find the pattern ratio, you can pretty much transfer that from light loads to heavy loads and keep your pattern. My gun patterns well at a 3-4 load. 90 grains of 2f under 120 of number sixes. I rolled my bird at a touch over 40 yards last year for turkey. 60-80 does squirrels just fine. It is easy to just jump to a heavy shot load to help the pattern, but the loss of speed at the already lower BP speeds to start with has a much bigger impact than it does in modern shells. You want the lightest shot load you can use that gives you a good pattern to keep the speed up.

16. Brake

Brake Active Member

Jan 28, 2005
    Livingston Co MO
    looks like a dead turk