Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner

Muzzleloader sight in

3K views 25 replies 11 participants last post by  GMB54-120 
#1 ·
Sighted in my new optima today I have it slightly high at 50 yards then at 100 I’m center . What do you guys zero your smoke poles ?

#13 ·
75% plus shoot at 1 known distance then guess with the rest cause that's what the box, the book or the internet says rather than actually shooting
It aint called kentucky windage for nothin!!!!

#6 ·
Okay thanks.
I feel pretty good about this weapon . Love the breech plug on the cva optima .
Shoulda sprung for the Accura. I've got the Leupold Ultimate Slam ML scope with Firedot reticle. It has a circle around the crosshairs and when sighted in at 100yds, where the circle intersects the vertical crosshair at the top is 50yds, at the bottom is 150yds, and then it has two more marks below that for 200 and 250. It can be tuned out to 300yds if your feeling frisky. I shoot a .45 with 150gr of powder, so it's a little flatter than the 50cal the scope is designed around. I've headshot deer at 150yds with this combo.

Reactions: truehunter
#17 ·
Not knocking you for posting it, but that's not exactly something I can put much faith in. Anyone who recommends a Simmons Aetec has no idea what they're talking about. I got a virtually new one on an AR10 I traded for, and it literally fell apart before I ever had a chance to use it. Called up Bushnell and they couldn't even track the serial number and offered nothing to make it right. Sure, there's no need for a $2K scope on a hunting rifle, but it's pretty well established that budget scopes are not for a serious hunter or anyone who wants something to last.

#21 ·
All depends on the load im shooting but around 100 yards is a good bet most of the time. What i dont do is guessimate using BDCs and such if i haven't actually practiced shooting that far.

If i plan on shooting further i take one of my rifles sighted in for that range or very close to it. Actual bullet path never being more than around 3-6in above or below point of aim. So if im sighted in a 150 im good to just point and shoot at any distance out to 150. No BDC or other guessimates needed.

Its one of the main reasons i prefer a 45cal. Its not that hard to get them to shoot a bit flatter than a 50cal. Same weight bullet but smaller caliber is normally gunna fly a bit better.

#22 · (Edited)
Your Optima V2 is fine. An Accura offers very little over the Optima V2 when you consider the cost difference and range you will likely need. 26" barrel vs a 27"...big deal. Ive seen Optima V2s shoot some great groups. Moving upto the new Accura LR series in 45cal though opens up lots of possibilities. Its a 45cal 1-22 twist and well suited to longer higher BC 40cals you can get. It will shoot some of the fancy 45cal bullets that a 50cal 1-28 can not. Its just $500+ bucks and has a LONG 30" tube which is sort of a pain in my book.

Optima V2 is a nice little gun that dont weigh a ton or cost a fortune. Save your extra cash for a better scope.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.