Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m looking to purchase a muzzleloader for Colorado elk next year. I know it has to be 50 cal or larger with open sights and no sabots to my knowledge. Just looking for some opinions, thanks for any advice

·
Registered
359 Posts
Bought my first muzzleloader last year. Got a CVA Optima V2 and really happy with it. I have a scope on mine but you can get it with sights I think. Shooting 270gr Powerbelt platinums with 2 triple 7 pellets behind it. Everyone will have their own opinions when it comes to bullets and powder but as a noobie I found this combo to be good for me. I have shot it A LOT and know the load and bullet well because of that. I recommend you get something soon and learn the performance/drop to your bullet and powder combo.
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Asphalt Bumper Automotive exterior

Finger Thumb Nail Tints and shades Metal

·
Máistir an pointe hocht.
71,001 Posts
I love TC Encores, but the triumph is pretty good too. 100gr of bh209 w 240 gr hornady xtp sabot wirks well in both. 👍🏻👍🏻

·
Máistir an pointe hocht.
71,001 Posts
Btw. Kind of hard yo f-up with most of the modern inlines imho. Find what you like and us in your price point. Most of them shoot gr8

·
Registered
504 Posts
Love my Optima. I use a 44 cal Hornady HP XTP saboted for deer. You're likely right to use the 50 cal bullet for elk.

·
#pointsmatter
2,743 Posts
When we went last year we all had muzzleloaders. That's about the extent of our collective knowledge lol. I wanted to use federals new muzzleloader bullet but a couple tips fell off out of the package and everyone else had powerboats so decided it would be a lot easier if we all had the same setup. Less stuff to pack. I also got some Buckhorn but couldn't find primers for it so we all ended up using 777. I got a truglo ghost ring for one of my muzzleloaders and had regular sights on the other. I liked the ring it was like a peep sight on a bow. Anyway shoot a bunch with want ever you get and get a concise setup for cleaning so your not trying to pack a bunch of crap your not going to use on the mountain.

·
Registered
6,422 Posts
The sabot and the scope thing is a silly rule . Heck not many years ago it had to be iron sights , I killed my first few elk with patched round ball sidelock.
i have a TC triumph that shoots Powerbelts hollow points the ones without the tips good enough to kill elk at a hundred 295 grain.
It groups sabots at 200 with the scope.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Just read this morning where a man shot a bow hunter in colorado with a ml. Would a scope have helped him identify him as a man not an elk? Doubtful because some people get tunnel vision too bad to be overcome but it's possible .

·
13,871 Posts
I remember when colorado was loose powder and no scopes, ran into some guys from Indiana who where ML hunting in Colorado at the time said loose powder was all you coulld use there also

that waas when the colorado traditional club and Colorado archers ran CDW.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Just read this morning where a man shot a bow hunter in colorado with a ml. Would a scope have helped him identify him as a man not an elk? Doubtful because some people get tunnel vision too bad to be overcome but it's possible .
Wow that is crazy. Hope he lived through it.

·
Máistir an pointe hocht.
71,001 Posts
The sabot and the scope thing is a silly rule .
I guess the powerbelt people paid them to put that rule in? Is that right, a powerbelt would be legal, but a Sabot would not..... Talk about your head scratcher regs if that is the case.

If they wanted to keep it to traditional ML's, they should have just done that, instead of trying to make inlines less lethal.

I honestly scratch my heads when I see regs like that.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I think I’m going to take the scope off my omega and use it
whats your guys opinion on a rear peep and a globe crosshairs on the front
thanks

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
50cal minimum for elk and 54cal if using PRB
Full bore projectiles only such as conicals, Powerbelts and the new Hornady BoreDriver
NO SCOPES
NO PELLETS

So unless you are super lucky that rules out some options with T/C inlines. They often dont shoot conicals very well. The QLA is often poorly machined.

If you want to keep it simple and affordable i would look at a Optima V2 or Optima V2 LR. The LR will allow you a longer sight radius since you cant use a scope. The Optima LR has a 28" barrel and weighs less than the Accura. Get a Williams peep if you dont like standard open sights. It should be able to mount in the 2 rear scope base holes. OR you can get a peep than mounts to a weaver type base or rail.

As far as projectiles i would look at Fury Custom Bullets. You got to buy 50packs but cost per bullet is less than PowerBelts and they are a bonded jacket bullet. Buy a sample sizing pack first. Start with the smallest and see which one loads best. They do offer a "one size fits all" type that cost a bit more but its still cheaper than most PBs. It will however probably need a pretty stout load to expand properly.

Dennis the owner is a SUPER good guy to deal with too.

Now if you are gunna shoot hefty loads you will probably want BH209 for powder. That means you will need a BH209 plug. You can get the Western or CVA plug but for about the same price you can buy a Lehigh CVA BH209 plug. There is also a plug made by ASG that uses large rifle primers. If you got a press and can seat rifle primers in a 45-70 case head its a far superior primer system. It also costs WAY more.

This is the ticket to handle any load you can legally shoot in a CVA with a QRBP. You get way more ignition energy to the powder and no blown or sticky 209 primers. Its on sale atm too

The next best option is the Lehigh CVA BH209 plug. Its about as cheap as the CVA BH209 plug. If you use either of these i would recommend Euro primers like Noble/NSI. If you are near Grafs in St Charles he stocks them. The NSI 209-688 is a really good primer because its long, fat and a "mag" primer.

Buy a extra pack of vent liners at the same time. When the flash hole gets to .036 pitch them. Install a new vent instead of replacing the breech plug. I use the same vent in my Knight plugs.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
If you are gunna use that Omega i would make damn sure it will shoot full bores ok. It will probably shoot Powerbelts ok but they are stupid expensive for what you get. I would use the 338gr PB Platinum if going after elk.

There is also the new Hornady Bore Driver but its also expensive

The skirt on bullets like these helps overcome QLA machining issues. The other way around it besides cutting off the QLA and recrown is using the MMP sub base with another bullet like a Fury Star Tip. You use the sub base like a wool wad over the powder and under the bullet. Guys i know that have issues shooting conicals in T/Cs had great luck using this combo.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts