1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
38,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
5,389 Posts
Holy crap. Say, isn't ML season coming up? How many of you will be flinching the next you shoot your ML?

·
Registered
32,436 Posts
Does it say what caused the failure? I got as far as the hand pic and closed it. I am fine seeing animals and such that way, but when it comes to people, I'm out. :eek:

·
Registered
69,798 Posts
......................................But his Nikon Omega held up OK!!

I would guess a double load of powder (being inattentive when loading) or maybe two bullets?

·
VECtor Custom Calls
41,463 Posts
:2thumbsup: No smokeless powder for me, thank you.

You can see this one, can't you? Lets see......get out my powder measure........100 grains........that ought to do it!

Parker

·
Registered
38,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
[rquote=1495660&tid=104409&author=Mailman]......................................But his Nikon Omega held up OK!!

I would guess a double load of powder (being inattentive when loading) or maybe two bullets?[/rquote]

That was the speculation on the other site, MM....I believe I'd have to agree, where that barrel split!!!:wave:

·
VECtor Custom Calls
41,463 Posts
:thinking: :shrug: I dunno Mailman. I looked at those pictures again. I think that's hotter than a double charge, and I'd think a double bullet would make it a little ways down the barrel?

I suppose we'll never know. :cheers:

Parker

·
Registered
69,798 Posts
[rquote=1495664&tid=104409&author=Parker] No smokeless powder for me, thank you.[/rquote]

I'd be willing to bet that 99.9% of the accidents like this is "Shooter Error" and not the weapons fault. Just like any other accident that happens in other sports.

·
VECtor Custom Calls
41,463 Posts
[rquote=1495667&tid=104409&author=FiremanBrad][rquote=1495660&tid=104409&author=Mailman]......................................But his Nikon Omega held up OK!!

I would guess a double load of powder (being inattentive when loading) or maybe two bullets?[/rquote]

That was the speculation on the other site, MM....I believe I'd have to agree, where that barrel split!!!:wave:[/rquote]

:stirpot: And it just HAPPENS to be a Savage that allows for smokeless powder?

Parker

·
Registered
69,798 Posts
[rquote=1495669&tid=104409&author=Parker]:thinking: :shrug: I dunno Mailman. I looked at those pictures again. I think that's hotter than a double charge, and I'd think a double bullet would make it a little ways down the barrel?

Parker[/rquote]

How about if he used regular reloaders powder instead of black powder? That might do it....right?

·
VECtor Custom Calls
41,463 Posts
[rquote=1495671&tid=104409&author=Mailman][rquote=1495664&tid=104409&author=Parker] No smokeless powder for me, thank you.[/rquote]

I'd be willing to bet that 99.9% of the accidents like this is "Shooter Error" and not the weapons fault. Just like any other accident that happens in other sports.[/rquote]

:cheers: Yes sir! I agree! I'd just rather use the stuff that doesn't allow me to mess up that badly.

Parker

·
Máistir an pointe hocht.
70,976 Posts
Aren't some of those Savage ML's designed for smokeless powder? May be not that rifle, but some of those Savage rifles were designed for smokeless.... Maybe he just used too much, or didn't get the projectile flush to the charge?:shrug:

·
VECtor Custom Calls
41,463 Posts
[rquote=1495674&tid=104409&author=Mailman][rquote=1495669&tid=104409&author=Parker]:thinking: :shrug: I dunno Mailman. I looked at those pictures again. I think that's hotter than a double charge, and I'd think a double bullet would make it a little ways down the barrel?

Parker[/rquote]

How about if he used regular reloaders powder instead of black powder? That might do it....right?[/rquote]

YES! That's what I was saying by smokeless powder. :cheers:

Parker

·
Máistir an pointe hocht.
70,976 Posts
Here is a link to Savage's website, and their smokeless ML.

Savage ML

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
Educate me,I ain't gonna learn if I don't ask.Why would 2 bullets do that?I assume if they were seated on top of each other,it would be like 1 big bullet.All I can guess is the weight creates too much back pressure??

·
Registered
13,882 Posts
:eek: OUCH!

·
Registered
38,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
[rquote=1495689&tid=104409&author=Cook]Educate me,I ain't gonna learn if I don't ask.Why would 2 bullets do that?I assume if they were seated on top of each other,it would be like 1 big bullet.All I can guess is the weight creates too much back pressure??[/rquote]

Yup, too much back pressure.....Would be my guess that the 2nd load wasn't down tight against the first load? :wave:

·
VECtor Custom Calls
41,463 Posts
[rquote=1495689&tid=104409&author=Cook]Educate me,I ain't gonna learn if I don't ask.Why would 2 bullets do that?I assume if they were seated on top of each other,it would be like 1 big bullet.All I can guess is the weight creates too much back pressure??[/rquote]

A barrel obstruction would cause your gases to build up in the barrel, and look for an escape. If its not out the muzzle of the barrel, its either going to be backwards into the action, or out the sides of the barrel.

I really don't think a second bullet with a normal charge would be a barrel obstruction that would cause this much damage, unless there was a gap between the two bullets, that allowed the first bullet to start down the barrel.

Without a gap, its just one large bullet, that's still made to slide down the barrel, but it would kick like a mule.

It really looks like a HUGE powder charge to me, and that thought is furthered by the idea that it is a Savage ML made to shoot modern smokeless powders, unlike most m-loaders. There's warnings all over the packaging on those guns about not using the same amount of modern powder as you use blackpowder (or pyrodex, 777, etc), but.......you know how some folks are about reading directions.......

Parker

1 - 20 of 57 Posts