Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:banana:
I am ready to start learning this art of Muzzle Loading. Who would like to help me out with some hands on? I will drive to where-ever you are, within reason of course. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks MWT!
:pop:

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Nicholas--what kind of rifle did you end up buying? Are you going to shoot pelets or loose powder?

I wouldn't call myself a pro but I've been shooting them for a few years. If you want to get together and throw some lead downrange I'd be happy to bestow what little I know upon you.

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Optima Pro 50 Cal, and I think I will go with the pellets. Let us get this shoot going. Being available pretty much 24/7 I am able to go anytime really, unless the wife says otherwise.....

·
Registered
8,772 Posts
Nicholas, well either Pyro pellets or T7 pellets. The T7s are more expensive. The Hornady 250 SST bullets shoot very well for most guys and gals that use them. Hornady also makes them for Thompson and it is called a Shockwave. Start out with two pellets and see what kind of accuracy you have. If you watch any of the Outdoor channels you'll see them load up with three pellets of Pyro and the 250 SST. Three pellet loads have a fairly good thump to the shooter as well. Nikon makes a scope just for this load called the 250 BDC. It is a multi reticle scope just for this load out to 250 yards. I also suggest you use a spit patch and a couple of dry ones between each shot ro those sabots get to be a bear to load. Buy lots of patches.;) Also think about getting a nice T-handle range rod while you're at it.

Jack

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
I'm pretty much limited to weekends with the occasional week day off (the next is the 14th). How does this weekend sound? I think it is going to cool off a degree or two.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Man, I'd love to join you as well! Maybe we need to organize the "First Annual MWT Beginner's Muzzleloader Class". I'd be in and I'd even chip in for the beer (for afterwards) and food! Any takers???

·
Registered
5,362 Posts
Men, set a date and I will try like heck to be there! I am busy coaching baseball the next 2 weekends but may be able to sneak a shoot in. Just let me know. I am itching to get ready to get ready!!!!:sniper:

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This sounds good to me, anybody want to meet at BPS tonight for the 7-11 buyers? I am a judge Saturday for a school tournament, feel free to stop by and watch by the way, 3pm at Champion Martial Arts, Cottleville, off of N & Mid Rivers. But Sunday, oh yes, lets do it dances, if you are still up to it! I was at Busch this afternoon and they have this new trap voice activated puller that pisses you off. If you say great shot buddy, it pulls, if you say I forgot my safety, it pulls, can not tell you how sensitive that thing is! Anyway, let's do it! If not, then some other time!

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just in case anyone goes tonight, I will be the guy wearing a blue team champion martial arts hat, green shorts, gray t-shirt, and pink underwear, or are they blue?

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
blah blah blah, one more thing, I will have my new 3 month 3 day old boy with me!!!!!

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Pink undies eh Nicholas! Any poka dots on thos?

Lets plan on a shoot this Sunday...

1st thing in the morning is best. We can go to either Busch or Reifsnieders as reccomended by Hatch (althought I've never been there so I would need directions). If any others can't make it I'm sure this won't be the last outting this year--I'm always up for slinging some lead.

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
What is Reifsnieders, and where? BPS took some of my money again tonight!

"I am a judge Saturday for a school tournament, anybody feel free to stop by and watch by the way, 3pm at Champion Martial Arts, Cottleville, off of N & Mid Rivers."

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just got back, and I think Reifsnieders would be the place to go for I have not been there!

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So today I went shooting for my first time with mz, note to self; do not breath when you pull the trigger and the wind is in your face!
:eek:

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
Triple7 smoke? Yep, it'll suck the lungs out of me too. BP and Pyrodex can smell like rotten eggs but that smoke still doesn't have the same effect - at least not on me.

How did the shooting go otherwise?

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Nicholas did great! He had his new MLer pretty much dialed in with five shots. Which of course left some time for him to tutor me a bit in the art of pistol firing (thanks, Nicholas. can't wait for the nextlesson).... There is no doubt--this man is an EXPERT with the pistol.

Thanks to Hatch for recomending this (new to us) range. It worked out great so we are sure to return. I hope next time you or others in the area can join in the fun.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.