Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 236 Posts

· Registered
961 Posts
It’s going to happen. Fortunately lots of private to hunt. Sad thing is the agencies don’t have enough people to even control state land. Now National Forest added on that. Overwhelming. Miles of land with no road access will be hard to get traps in. Best of luck to them. Although like their efforts on state parks the population will continue to grow with more and more trap shy pigs. Will be a huge boom in numbers. None of the guys I know even hunt anymore except for 2. They hunt only private so this won’t affect really anyone.

· Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's going to happen. Fortunately lots of private to hunt. Sad thing is the agencies don't have enough people to even control state land. Now National Forest added on that. Overwhelming. Miles of land with no road access will be hard to get traps in. Best of luck to them. Although like their efforts on state parks the population will continue to grow with more and more trap shy pigs. Will be a huge boom in numbers. None of the guys I know even hunt anymore except for 2. They hunt only private so this won't affect really anyone.
It will affect several of the guys I know that mostly hunt MTNF, we all know the hog population will explode without the hog doggers but the hard part is the waiting till MDC, USDA and the others realize they cant and wont catch the big woods hogs.

· Registered
961 Posts
I’m not sure about your part of the state. I mean around here there’s not many hunters anymore. Probably why they are exploding everywhere around here. I have private to run. Mainly because of the failure of traps on the properties.

· Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm not sure about your part of the state. I mean around here there's not many hunters anymore. Probably why they are exploding everywhere around here. I have private to run. Mainly because of the failure of traps on the properties.
Most of the big timber tracts around here is either MDC or MTNF so its going to be hard for the locals to find private big enough to have to give the dogs enough time to bay before crossing lines.
Most of the private they have acquired to hunt on is stuff the MDC has tried to trap and done nothing but cause bigger problems for the land owner, so they turn the real experts loose . ;)

· Registered
961 Posts
Lol that’s exactly how I got access. It’s a rough decision for hunters. I hope something happens. I mean if a fella is out coyote hunting with dogs and they bay a pig. A person would have to hobble it and get the dogs off and release the pig. No harm done. You know how them dogs love to trash on pigs lol

· Under appreciated
93,232 Posts
I'm not sure about your part of the state. I mean around here there's not many hunters anymore. Probably why they are exploding everywhere around here. I have private to run. Mainly because of the failure of traps on the properties.
If you hunt on private ground, why not quit complaining on these threads... shut up and hunt where you already have permission and let them manage federal ground the way they want.

· Registered
961 Posts
I don’t feel like I complained. I meant fortunately I don’t have to rely on National Forest. I might have complained the fact there is lacking manpower. Can you point out what you meant and also where you have any authority to tell anyone what to do. Let them manage it however they want? I don’t see where I’m attempting to do anything to stop them from that. I hunt within my legal right. What’s the issue RAT?

· Under appreciated
93,232 Posts
I don't feel like I complained. I meant fortunately I don't have to rely on National Forest. I might have complained the fact there is lacking manpower. Can you point out what you meant and also where you have any authority to tell anyone what to do. Let them manage it however they want? I don't see where I'm attempting to do anything to stop them from that. I hunt within my legal right. What's the issue RAT?
Complaining might be the wrong word and I suppose it is fine to feel as strong about it as you do.
I just don't get putting down their plan if it wont affect you anyway.

· Registered
2,921 Posts
I don't believe the combined government agencies will, or can, commit enough money and manpower to effect the desired result. Heck, LBJ was so successful with his "WAR ON DRUGS" , reefer dispensaries will soon be available in every county.
SSS

· Registered
961 Posts
Putting down their plan. Do yourself a favor rat and visit state ground with no hunting for over two years then visit a state park with no hunting ever and come back and tell us how well there plan is working. I believe I just said there’s not enough manpower and hogs get trap shy very very easy. Hopefully it works.

· Under appreciated
93,232 Posts
Putting down their plan. Do yourself a favor rat and visit state ground with no hunting for over two years then visit a state park with no hunting ever and come back and tell us how well there plan is working. I believe I just said there's not enough manpower and hogs get trap shy very very easy. Hopefully it works.
So what's your answer?

· Registered
961 Posts
Well I don’t think anyone has an answer. No state with even half our population has eradicated them. Or came close. I will say since the ban on hunting and local hunters calling it quits they are effecting way more landowners who are not getting the help they was promised. Take that for what it is. Definitely a big boom in population here. Can’t speak for everywhere. I imagine the same scenario.

1 - 20 of 236 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.