mrb, Got an idea for a new forum

Discussion in 'Whitetails General' started by pinwheel, May 30, 2009.

1. pinwheel

pinwheel Jenny's Lackey

Jun 17, 2006
    middle of nowhere
    Chairman & I were talking sometime back about this & I forgot to mention it.

As we all know, there are a lot of private GTG's among MWT members & more & more all the time. What is the possibility of setting up some private forums where members could discuss details without having to put it on the public forum? This spring, as you know, we had the shed hunt at our place & again this summer, I would like to have a gtg of somesort. I don't mind any member that wants to come being invited, I'm just not comfortable putting a map or directions to our farm on the open forum for anyone that wants to see.

I handled the shed hunt via u2u, but that got to be a real pain & it was not easy to share the details among the people coming.

Rick said he was able to add names to private forums like the pub club & political forums & if it was possible to setup something like I've described, he said he'd be glad to help update the different forums.

2. Vector

Vector VECtor Custom Calls

Feb 11, 2003
    N/C MO
    :stirpot: Oh.....more private little clubs, huh? :stirpot:

:rof2: :rock: Sounds like a good idea to me.

Parker

3. pinwheel

pinwheel Jenny's Lackey

Jun 17, 2006
    middle of nowhere
    [rquote=1280514&tid=89593&author=Parker]:stirpot: Oh.....more private little clubs, huh? :stirpot:

:rof2: :rock: Sounds like a good idea to me.

Parker[/rquote]

Yep, another way we be accused of being cliquish. :rof2:

What got the conversation started between Rick & I was the shooting palooza. I had volunteered to let him hold it at our place, but am unwilling to open that kind of GTG to anyone & everyone that wanted to attend. If I'm opening myself up to the liability, I want some say in who comes, if ya know what I mean. That coupled with the guys bringing high priced guns & having a choice in who they want shooting their guns, or even who knows what they own.

I don't believe the private forum would be necessary for every GTG, but there are certainly instances where it would be helpful to plan without outside comentary.

4. Rebel2

Rebel2 Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2003
    Ozark, MO
    I personally think it would be a pita..

got to create the forums
    add the people
    who gets to decide who gets a forum (obviously i know the answer) but what i mean, before we know it there could be 500 private forums.. members there there and yonder
    i understand not giving directions via open forums.. that should be left to u2u's but why not have open discussions on the main board, seems too cliqueish to me to have all the private forums for certain people to talk about gtg's :cheers:

5. Rebel2

Rebel2 Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2003
    Ozark, MO
    [rquote=1280531&tid=89593&author=pinwheel]I don't believe the private forum would be necessary for every GTG, but there are certainly instances where it would be helpful to plan without outside comentary.[/rquote]

Which makes my point, who decides who gets to have their own private forum for their gtg

why cant missionhunter create his own private forunm to discuss trees... when you can for shooting stuff randrew :cheers:

6. pinwheel

pinwheel Jenny's Lackey

Jun 17, 2006
    middle of nowhere
    [rquote=1280532&tid=89593&author=Rebel]I personally think it would be a pita..

got to create the forums
    add the people
    who gets to decide who gets a forum (obviously i know the answer) but what i mean, before we know it there could be 500 private forums.. members there there and yonder
    i understand not giving directions via open forums.. that should be left to u2u's but why not have open discussions on the main board, seems too cliqueish to me to have all the private forums for certain people to talk about gtg's :cheers:[/rquote]

Not everyone that's willing to host members on their private property want to open it up to all the members of MWT.

There's going to be cliques no matter. That comes from members metting face to face & sharing common interests & experiences.

If mrb is willing to take on the work, how would this differ from a private room in the chat room? They exclude people that are logged on in the main chat room.

7. pinwheel

pinwheel Jenny's Lackey

Jun 17, 2006
    middle of nowhere
    [rquote=1280535&tid=89593&author=Rebel][rquote=1280531&tid=89593&author=pinwheel]I don't believe the private forum would be necessary for every GTG, but there are certainly instances where it would be helpful to plan without outside comentary.[/rquote]

Which makes my point, who decides who gets to have their own private forum for their gtg

why cant missionhunter create his own private forunm to discuss trees... when you can for shooting stuff randrew :cheers:[/rquote]

The decision would be up to the admins who have have access to the controls. From my understanding based on the conversation Rick & I had, adding names to the forums after they've been created isn't that big a deal.

8. Rebel2

Rebel2 Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2003
    Ozark, MO
    [rquote=1280536&tid=89593&author=pinwheel][rquote=1280532&tid=89593&author=Rebel]I personally think it would be a pita..

got to create the forums
    add the people
    i understand not giving directions via open forums.. that should be left to u2u's but why not have open discussions on the main board, seems too cliqueish to me to have all the private forums for certain people to talk about gtg's :cheers:[/rquote]

Not everyone that's willing to host members on their private property want to open it up to all the members of MWT.

There's going to be cliques no matter. That comes from members metting face to face & sharing common interests & experiences.

If mrb is willing to take on the work, how would this differ from a private room in the chat room? They exclude people that are logged on in the main chat room.[/rquote]

The difference is we could have 5 thousand private forums as whos to say your gtg is any better then anyone elses..

jus seems to be more work then its worth..

imo

9. Rebel2

Rebel2 Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2003
    Ozark, MO
    [rquote=1280539&tid=89593&author=pinwheel][rquote=1280535&tid=89593&author=Rebel][rquote=1280531&tid=89593&author=pinwheel]I don't believe the private forum would be necessary for every GTG, but there are certainly instances where it would be helpful to plan without outside comentary.[/rquote]

why cant missionhunter create his own private forunm to discuss trees... when you can for shooting stuff randrew :cheers:[/rquote]

The decision would be up to the admins who have have access to the controls. From my understanding based on the conversation Rick & I had, adding names to the forums after they've been created isn't that big a deal.

[/rquote]

So why is your gtg any better then someone elses that doesnt get a special forum?

or does everyone get a forum at their request?

10. Whitemarsh

Whitemarsh New Member

Jan 1, 2006
    Greene Co.
    Sounds like a good idea to me too. It would be a lot easier than using u2us or email like we have done in the past. If Chairman is willing to do the moderating and monitoring, I say go for it.

11. pinwheel

pinwheel Jenny's Lackey

Jun 17, 2006
    middle of nowhere
    [rquote=1280540&tid=89593&author=Rebel][rquote=1280536&tid=89593&author=pinwheel][rquote=1280532&tid=89593&author=Rebel]I personally think it would be a pita..

got to create the forums
    add the people

If mrb is willing to take on the work, how would this differ from a private room in the chat room? They exclude people that are logged on in the main chat room.[/rquote]

The difference is we could have 5 thousand private forums as whos to say your gtg is any better then anyone elses..

imo[/rquote]

You could be correct, but you're also assuming facts not in evidence. Until the boss chimes in saying it's more work than it's worth, then you're point is still an assumption.

If there were lets say 5-6 private forums setup, then it would just be a matter of changing the heading on the forum for the next group that need a space for private discussion about details. Once the date of the gtg had passed, then the groups posting could be deleted or moved to make room for the next gtg.

So, reb, are you willing to open your honey hole up to all comers when you plan a hunt during duck season?

12. Rebel2

Rebel2 Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2003
    Ozark, MO
    [rquote=1280549&tid=89593&author=pinwheel][rquote=1280540&tid=89593&author=Rebel][rquote=1280536&tid=89593&author=pinwheel][rquote=1280532&tid=89593&author=Rebel]I personally think it would be a pita..

got to create the forums
    add the people

imo[/rquote]

You could be correct, but you're also assuming facts not in evidence. Until the boss chimes in saying it's more work than it's worth, then you're point is still an assumption.

If there were lets say 5-6 private forums setup, then it would just be a matter of changing the heading on the forum for the next group that need a space for private discussion about details. Once the date of the gtg had passed, then the groups posting could be deleted or moved to make room for the next gtg.

So, reb, are you willing to open your honey hole up to all comers when you plan a hunt during duck season?[/rquote]

I know how to create forums, but thank you ;) Not that its "difficult", its time consuming... creating the forum, then changing the name periodically... which if the name changes periodically, would be hard to keep track of it.. then the adding of people, the removing of people...

And to your question, anyone and everyone that is a member of mwt is more then welcome to come to da rebs hh.

if i wouldnt allow a "member" of our board to come to my place, maybe they shouldnt be a member if they arent trusted enough..

:shrug:

13. Rebel2

Rebel2 Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2003
    Ozark, MO
    so when you gonna come duck watchin randy :D

14. Chairman

Chairman Senior Member

Dec 2, 2002
    Henry County
    [rquote=1280531&tid=89593&author=pinwheel]

I don't believe the private forum would be necessary for every GTG, but there are certainly instances where it would be helpful to plan without outside comentary.[/rquote]

Exactly...

When the idea of the shootinpalooza was first being tossed around, it was only meant to include a few certain members, that have similar interests and firearms...very expensive firearms.

We had been tossing the idea around, and when certain types of firearms were being discussed in other threads, the subject kept coming up...and sometimes derailing the original thread's topic.

So, in my infinite wisdom (yes - sarcastic), to alleviate the problem, I started a "MWT Shootin'Palooza" thread so we could discuss it without hijacking other threads.

It wasn't meant to be "clique-ish" - we just needed a place where we could make plans, so everyone would be on the same page. Randy's spot-on about how much of a PIA it would be trying to do it by sending U2U's.

BUT...(here's the infinite wisdom part) I wasn't thinking too clearly (obviously), and when a ton of members wanted in on it...well, I have a hard time saying "No".

So...I figured that since the thread obviously peaked some interest, why not have a MWT shoot for anyone that wanted to attend. No big deal...

But now, the original members that wanted to have a small G2G, are back to square one...and no closer to planning our shoot than when the idea first came up.

That's when I began thinking about having a "conference room" on the website, where you could invite certain members to discuss & plan social affairs.

Again - this isn't meant to be clique-ish. It's more of a convenience issue...that's all. :innocent:

15. Rebel2

Rebel2 Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2003
    Ozark, MO
    It may not be meant as cliqueish..

but what else would you call it when you only offer it to "certain" people...

:shrug:

16. Rebel2

Rebel2 Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2003
    Ozark, MO
    Guess my swmo gtg in july should be taken off the board and only the ones i want to attend be told about it..

:confused:

17. Rebel2

Rebel2 Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2003
    Ozark, MO
    Maybe i'm completely missing the 8-Ball on this one...

But i don't get how anyone, let alone admins, moderators and the likes who are part of this website, pick and choose who they "allow" to their mwt sanctioned gtg...

If you dont want a particular person to come to your gtg, then a. dont discuss it on mwt b. or maybe that person(s) shouldnt be a part of us any longer if they arent trusted for one reason or another..

Again, seems i am the minority on this, oh well..

:cheers:

18. Chairman

Chairman Senior Member

Dec 2, 2002
    Henry County
    [rquote=1280600&tid=89593&author=Rebel]Maybe i'm completely missing the 8-Ball on this one...

But i don't get how anyone, let alone admins, moderators and the likes who are part of this website, pick and choose who they "allow" to their mwt sanctioned gtg...[/rquote]

That's part of the issue, Reb...it was never meant to be a MWT "sanctioned" event. But it turned into one, after I posted a thread about a few of us getting together to do some shootin'.

My mistake...but at the same time, a lot of folks "assumed" that it was, too.

In order to remedy the situation, a "come-one come-all" event was created. So now there is a "sanctioned" event being planned, too.

The problem was with how I worded the original thread. :innocent:

So that's why I thought about creating a "conference room", where members could get together and plan a personal/private get together between friends...that's all.

And hopefully eliminate all the confusion & assumptions...

This idea is being derailed by assuming it was about "cliques", and "they're not good enough to be invited"...I guess I assumed y'all knew me better than that too, so I guess I'm just as guilty...

It was simply a suggestion to provide a service to the members...and I'm positive they are many members that would think it's a great idea, for exactly the reasons I already mentioned.

It wouldn't be that much work, and I would even volunteer my services.

19. Rebel2

Rebel2 Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2003
    Ozark, MO
    If you dont think members would think it a cliquish post it up on the main board and ask em...

20. Rebel2

Rebel2 Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2003
    Ozark, MO
    How is it NOT cliquish to be a part of a "club/org" and only have certain people invited to certain things with the club/org?

It's one thing to assemble on your own, but to use the "clubs/orgs" resources to assemble, then in my opinion its a sanctioned club/org activity..

Definition of "clique":

: a narrow exclusive circle or group of persons ; especially : one held together by common interests, views, or purposes

I completely understand your reasoning to want to do what you want to do, but my opinion is what ive said, like it or leave it, you won't sway the reb... :shrug:

((and ps, i aint a decision maker round these parts newho, so dont really matter what the reb rambles out of his trap :D ))