Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cruising around the farm yesterday trying to get some air and this question came to mind.
The white clovers are pretty much at a standstill due to all the heat. Foxtail is starting to shoot up pretty good, Im wondering if I should hold off on mowing to give the clover some shade, because if I think if I mow it , it will open the weed canopy and I think will increase the frying of the poor clover...comments??

·
Jenny's Lackey
47,539 Posts
I would like some similar feedback. I've got 3 acres that is starting to get some horseweeds & grasses. I was planning to mow very high next weekend. Mainly just to top the weeds off.

·
Registered
18,764 Posts
I think that's a personal choice. I'm assuming you are talking about mowing the other stuff and not the clover. My guess is either way out clovers are about done until some better weather comes along closer to fall. If your clover is dormant anyway, I don't know if having it shaded will matter too awful much. Sure can't hurt I guess, just not sure that it will help.
Only thing I can say for sure is I sure wouldn't mow your clover right now!

·
Jenny's Lackey
47,539 Posts
I had no plans of mowing the clover. It's just now starting to head out good & I want it to go to seed. Just don't want the other junk to get too thick. I didn't plan to mow the clover till late August.

·
Registered
6,027 Posts
i have to agree with hoyt unless it just rains alot the clover is going to fry untill fall thats just what clover does in the summer. it fryes till it looks dead but almost always comes back.

if you don't mow you let the weeds matture and go to seed don't think you want that.

·
Registered
7,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for the comments, Ill mow half my plots and wait till next month for other half when I start mowing my flowers.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.