Mowing Clover

Discussion in 'Deer Management, Habitat & Conservation' started by ILoveDeer, Jan 22, 2018.

1. ILoveDeer

ILoveDeer Member

Dec 10, 2017
    Was wondering how often you mow your clover plots, or if you do not mow it why?
    Mark

2. DougC

DougC Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2008
    Independence
    Have it baled if you can, otherwise mow it 2-3 times a year,

3. Wings Fan 19

Wings Fan 19 Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2008
    Kansas City, MO.
    I only mow as grass/weeds dictate. Other than that, I let deer mow it for me.

henry likes this.
  4. ILoveDeer

ILoveDeer Member

Dec 10, 2017
    Ok Thank you for the advice.
    Mark

5. WBF

WBF Wolf Brook Farms

Oct 25, 2013
    I've gotten away from mowing my Clover plots. The rag weed that takes hold of the majority of my plots the deer eat and it provides shade along with other towering type weeds during the hot/dry summer months. Might go in late August to the first of September and knock down the tops. But for the most part with this latest drought we've had and a big fail with our 2017 fall plots due to drought, I plan on frost seeding all of my failed plots come late Feb.

BBQMAN and beanpile like this.
  6. henry

henry Fan Boy aka Mr Twisty and

I do like wingsy . I just try not to do it during nesting and fawning season. I can live with the weeds until late July.

7. DougC

DougC Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2008
    Independence
    I mentioned baling because that gets the weed seeds out of the field, and doesn't leave residue behind to snuff out any of the clover like brush hogging can do. I've had one patch baled 3 times in a year, and there was still plenty for the deer and turkey.

When mowing, I'm not talking about down to the ground but rather a height of 8-12" to even the clover out and promote new growth. Also allows the clover a chance to spread out and shade out the weeds.

8. Sully

Sully Bait Plotter Extraordinar

Aug 28, 2007
    Truman lake , MO
    I believe that frequent mowing if clover helps tremendously ... Clover likes to be mowed , I believe it helps to establish thicker stand that smother out competing weeds and grasses along with keeping said weed to a minimum . As long as there's adequate moisture I MOW ( as a rule up through June but that is not hard fast rule )

DougC likes this.
  9. TOBRYAN

TOBRYAN Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2002
    Liberty, Mo
    We have bailed ours for 3 years, works well as long as timely rains show up.