Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any ideas on the best way to mount a scope on a winchester model 94 30-30. It has the top eject. I would like to get a scope on it and have my son start shooting it.

·
Registered
4,462 Posts
I wouldn't mount a scope on it at all. You would have to use a side mount ov some sort that would ruin the balance of the rifle.

A good quality peep sight would be my choice. You might also have to replace the front sight as well with this route.

Reactions: Skduckhunt

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
I've got the same gun and have a scope mounted. I'll have to post pics.

The gun ejects at an angle so its not as bad as you might think. The scope mount is elevated so that you can still use the iron sites if you wanted. This gives it enough room to eject the shell.

I'll post a pic tomorrow.

·
Confirmed Bachelor
10,482 Posts
Mobuckman...Is your scope mounted straight on top of the gun (i.e. in-line with the action)? You said you had an angle eject so that's why I asked the question. Seems the poster above has a true top-eject so the only way to mount a scope is to mount it to the side of the action or offset.

:cheers:

·
Lunch break commander
8,313 Posts
I hunted with a guy the other day who had a model 94 and he had a scope mounted with the high rise see through mounts. He said that the casings clear and eject but I never seen it in action.

·
Registered
4,462 Posts
The AE's are tapped for scope mounts on top of the reciever. The others are not. On a top eject the ejected case would strike the scope or base since it is ejecter straight up.

·
Registered
10 Posts
:thinking:

I do not know about you, but i dislike scopes on bolt action rifles. i am hunting with a Steven Savage 30-30, with open sights, and i managed to take a buck down in one shot from 110 yards. Of course i did not kill the deer right away but it dropped it in its tracks for me to get another kill shot. Although i do not know how accurate it is without scope, or with scope because ive been out shooting for fun, and one shot will be right on and the other we can even find entry point. but thats my point of view on that sittuation,

·
Registered
420 Posts
Originally posted by ursus
Any ideas on the best way to mount a scope on a winchester model 94 30-30. It has the top eject. I would like to get a scope on it and have my son start shooting it.
My son hunts with a Model 94 with peep sights. We've found it helps with target acquisition. Finding a deer in the woods through a scope can be hard and you're most likely not going to take very long shots with it anyway.

·
Registered
5,444 Posts
Originally posted by Genesis
:thinking:
I do not know about you, but i dislike scopes on bolt action rifles.
Well i too once never thought i needed a scope to shoot deer out to 100 yrds with, how ever there was one thing i never planned on and that was getting older. trust me it's a curse.:eek: don't know how old you are but until i hit hit early 40's i could shoot open sites with the best of them, then the stretchy arms thingy happened to me and even though my distance vision was still pretty good (i need no glasses other than to read) i couldn't focus on that rear site which made shooting open sites a tad dificult. i laso at that time did not know the benifits of a peep site in that application. now though at 50 my distance vision is still ok but no were like it use to be and if i get me a lever one day (35 rem) i will probably top it with either a straight 4x short compact scope or a 1.5-4 variable for a fast site picture, unless i go with a peep site set up. point is some of us need a little help on the vision end of things and it sure does make a day at the range fun when you start bringing in those tight pretty groups. but if you can shoot them with just your eyes more power to you :rock: wish i could, but i just accept my limitations now.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have a winchester 94 top ejection. I have the "Kwik" side mount with a nikon prostaff scope. It only offsets the scope about a half inch to the left. I actually think its very comfortable. I'm home on thanksgiving break right now, the gun is at my house at school. I'll post a pic sunday night. The mount was only $30 rings included. I can consistently put 3/4'' groups at 100 yards with sand bags. I wouldn't trade this gun for the world. It's short and light good for the woods. However, sighting in is a mess. Since the gun ejects out the top, you have to rotate the scope in the rings 90 degrees counterclockwise. Otherwise your cartridge would hit the elevation adjustment. Therefore your elevation now adjusts your windage, vise-versa.

·
blu bogart
22,058 Posts
Mobuckman it looks like you have a angle eject[AE]The gun ursas and I have are older win.94 with true top eject,you dont see that silver metal exposed like your pic.I dont think your mounts will work......I wish they would.Maybe?

·
blu bogart
22,058 Posts
What I dont understand or is confusing me is pic #1 I dont see the right "legs" for lack of a better term go over to the right side of the gun????pic#2 I see the legs are clearly on the right side?????:confused:

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for the replies. I might just scrap the scope idea and replace the sights that are on it. They are horrible. The front pin blocks out the area about the size of a paper plate at 50 yards.

·
blu bogart
22,058 Posts
I have a Williams peep sight on mine.....works good.Google Williams peep sights.I think I paid $32.00 for mine.....but I left the front blade sight on ......you may want to chang yours if your fighting it already.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts