Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally placed my Moultrie 30gal. feeder. Filled her up with 200 lbs. of corn, set to throw 2 lbs. at dawn and dusk. Should last about 50 days before refilling. I figure two fillings before the end of October and the removal of the feeder. I plan on dropping in for a feeder check here in about 2 weeks. Hopefully, we will have some nice corn fed deer roaming aound our hunting grounds.

Attachments

·
Registered
14,501 Posts
I heard that corn puts on unecessary fat and it's not as beneficial as other feed supplements. However, it will probably do what ya need it to do. Sure looks like a good feeder and setup.

Good Luck with it.

·
PURE KILLER
38,011 Posts
seem like all the feed companys would like you to buy their special feed.i wonder why that is?i'll stick to corn

·
5,631 Posts
Hey novicehunter, good lookin setup. Remember that if you plan to bow hunt on this place ALL of that corn has to be gone 10 days before you hunt it.

·
Registered
70,604 Posts
I have the identical feeder on my place. It has been there for 3 years now. First....All the grass will soon be trampled down and eventually will be bare ground. Second....There is never a kernel left around my feeder even in high grass. They will find it my smell. Third....The corn may not be the best feed for them but its main purpose in my opinion is to keep the does and their fawns hanging around your place for the corn. Where ever the does (old and young) are the bucks will be hanging around for courtship. Fourth....The feeder is like the ice cream store is to us. We really don't need it and it isn't the best nutrition for us but we really enjoy an ice cream cone. You will be totally suprised with the amount of bucks you will have traveling through your property. Prior to setting up my feeder I only got game camera pictures of 4 or 5 different bucks. Since I put in the feeder and feed straight corn this past fall and winter I counted a minumum of 15 different bucks. One morning I was sitting in a tree stand with my camera prior to season and an old doe with her twins came out of the woods right at day break. The doe sniffed around the feeder and walked off another 20 yards and started feeding on some clover. Her two little ones kept coming back to the feeder every 4 or 5 minutes. One half hour after sun up the feeder went off. The little buck actually ran full speed to the feeder and was being pelted by the corn as he was feeding on the kernels on the ground. Both the little doe and momma joined him within 20 seconds. They knew when the feeder was going to give them breakfast and were there again at dusk for their evening snack. The two best investments that I have made for my property is my game camera and the feeder..........I think it is time for my bowl of icecream now.....later.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The land that I hunt has about six guys on 300 acres. Four of us use the same stand and location each year. We have two yearly movers. One guys is always looking for a stand location that is easier to get to. He doesn't spend much time and energy hunting anymore because of health reasons. The last guy is the mover! He found a little spot near the stand I have had for the last 3 years. He realized that the deer cross a creek system just below where I hunt. Now, he is moving his stand across the creek from my stand, problem is that he has to pass directly by my stand to get to his new stand. So, I am going to move my stand, and I am taking the deer with me! I have installed this feeder to change the travel habits of the deer. There is one deer trail in the location of this feeder, but late october, I hope to have a ton of different deer paths running around my new stand location. I don't have the time to scout properly, so I am creating my own deer habitat.

·
Registered
6,357 Posts
dont get frustarated that it doesnt happen this year,it takes time to get deer out of their habbits,we started that 4 + years ago and sometimes they work the feeders one year and then next you would be thinking they didnt like corn anymore
Good luck

·
Registered
70,604 Posts
Word to the wise.... you might want to get a cover for your feeder. Either a factory one or like I did. Went to Home Depot and picked up a black plastic drain pan for a small hot water tank. Just put it on top and use 4 bungie cords to hold it down with by hooking it through holes drilled thru the lip on the cover and hooked under barrel. This will keep that lid of the barrel from rusting out.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I went and filled the feeder today. I bumped the feed cycle to 10 seconds from 6. I had used only about 100 lbs. of corn in 4 weeks, now we should use closer to 200 lbs in 4 weeks. One fill in Spetember, one fill in October, and the we let it run out for firearms season. The questions of the day, are the deer eating the corn? You decide....

JULY

[file]7589[/file]

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The weeds are thick getting back to this spot in the woods. I had to get out my machette and bushwack our way in. When I got to the opening where my feeder is, I was shocked. Most of the weeds in the area are matted down, and there are deer paths everywhere. Under the feeder there is a huge dead spot where they have been digging and scraping. There was even fur, yes fur stuck in the corner of the feeder motor box. The have really been checking it out. I wanted to explore the deer trails a little, but I also didn't want to disturb things either. We filled'er up, reset the feed rate, took a picture, and left. I stood on the ladder as I loaded up the feeder and looked around and was tickled pink with all the activity that has been happening in just 4 weeks. This is exciting!

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Spet. 14, Updated picture

I took this picture of the area under our feeder. I think I need to buy a game camera. May have to do that on this next paycheck. I tested the feeder system and noticed that the motor is not turning as hard or as fast as it used to. I think the battery is getting week. It got grounded out for a while after the deer nocked the cover off the motor and battery last time. Fixed that with a bungie cord and we also covered the feeder with a 33 gal. plastic trash can lid to prevent rust. Over all, the area looks pretty active. We need some rain soon! It's dry as a bone and the ground is hard, can't see any foot prints, just scapes etc.

[file]8415[/file]

·
Registered
18,763 Posts
awesome!

Too bad you don't have a cam set up on that. I'm curious to know how much of it is deer and how much of it is *****. I'm sure it's a ton of deer, and I bet you have the fattest ***** in the country to!!

Awesome stuff....bet you're excited for deer season!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.