most nerve wrecking hunt....ever

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting General' started by chuck88, Apr 17, 2006.

1. chuck88

chuck88 Active Member

Jun 29, 2005
    Fulton MO
    brandon, my oldest boy wanted to go turkey hunting again, so who was I to refuse. he wasnt feeling good this morning but it was pretty uneventful anyway. about 10 he said he wanted to go, so off we went. I would do a series of calls every 50-75 yards and listen. finaly we got a gobble,gobble,gobble about 200 yards away. Because I was hunting with my boy I decided to sit there and try to call. unfolded the little blind and got set. he gobbled about 4 more times at us and shut up. after 20 minutes of nothing I decided to move a little closer, we moved about 100 yards closer set up the blind and called, still nothing. another 20 minutes and I noticed Brandon starting to fidget and get bored. I decided that we would start our way back,, so I quietly folded up the blind and we got up. we walked about 10 yards and GOBBLE GOBBLE GOBBLE no more than 60 yards away. no time to unfold the blind so we took a seat by the closest tree. GOBBLE GOBBLE GOBBLE 30 yards out but still cant see. VROOM there is his fan 10 yards out, he clears the bush and I can see him perfect. but one stump was hiding him from brandon. I think he can hear my heartbeats pounding and I can hear Brandon breathing. he drops strut and starts head bobbing and walking away, I am whispering shoot, shoot, shoot, but nothing. after he walks away I ask why didnt you shoot? his answer "my gun barrel wouldn't hold still. if he was half as nervous as me I understand. that hunt was more exicting than I've been on. oh well season dont end till may 31st hopefully I can get him one.

2. JackJr

JackJr New Member

Nov 30, 2002
    Land Of BLAHS
    My gun barrel wouldn't hold still.:eek: I love it!!:banana: About the best thing I've heard from a kid's mouth while hunting. Chuck very nice story. I enjoyed it a bunch.:cheers::cheers::cheers: Tell your son old guys gun barrel's won't hold still sometimes too.:D

Jack

3. winger

winger New Member

Oct 24, 2003
    first time a gobbler ran in on my daughter and i she had to ask if i was alright because i was shaking so hard. definately understand the barrel not holding still. never get nervous when i am behind the trigger but when she was shooting i couldn't keep it together. good thing for blinds.

4. FiremanBrad

FiremanBrad New Member

Thats a great story chuck!!! I shake so much when I'm hunting with my daughter, it's crazy!!!

5. huntforfunnfood

huntforfunnfood New Member

Jun 30, 2003
    new bloomfield mo
    thats awsome got to love it i bet he don't for get that hunt any time soon

6. BIG OL AL

BIG OL AL New Member

Oct 1, 2003
    High Ridge MO
    Better luck next time! That was a great story!:cheers::cheers::cheers:

7. chuck88

chuck88 Active Member

Jun 29, 2005
    Fulton MO
    he is hooked now. we went last night and had some jakes hang up just out of range. now he keeps asking when do we get to go again:cheers: