morning or evening success?

Discussion in '2011 Whitetail General' started by 20 feet high, Nov 7, 2010.

1. 20 feet high

20 feet high CROSSBOW HATER!

Feb 19, 2009
    Was thinking while usually just sitting on stand and just read a post by yote saying he kills predominatly in the afternoons. My question is when do you kill most of your bucks? I would have thought mine would be 50/50, but as I was thinking about my top 10 bucks only 3 were morning and 7 from noon on.

Curious how everyone ration is?

2. DEAD (I)

DEAD (I) New Member

Oct 13, 2009
    11 POINT LEWIS CO. AFTERNOON THURSDAAY GUN SEASON- DAUGHTERS 10 AFTERNOON MONROE CO. YOUTH HUNT-SONS10 POINT 9ISH LEWIS CO. YOUTH HUNT-SONS BIG 8 AFTERNOON PIKE CO. AFTERNOON YOUTH HUNT-THIIS YEARS YOUTH SON AFTERNON 13 POINTER AUDRAIN CO. NOTICE I HAVE ONLY 1 MOUNTER

3. pinwheel

pinwheel Jenny's Lackey

Jun 17, 2006
    middle of nowhere
    I've seen some really good bucks in the morning, but have never killed a good one in the morning. Don't stop me from tryin though.:D

4. bigbass

bigbass Keep calm and Chive on!

Nov 17, 2009
    Wentzville
    I have killed and seen most of my better bucks between 11 and 2.

5. archer66

archer66 5 shots 1 kill

Jun 21, 2008
    1 morning.
    all the rest afternoon.

6. a_ridgway

a_ridgway New Member

May 3, 2010
    Most of my success has all came in the morning. I feel my chances are better in the mornings cause I hunt prodominately bedding area and that the deer are for the most part still up on their feet from the night before. I think the better question would be when you kill your deer and what area do you hunt I.e food or bedding

7. angus

angus Member

Oct 17, 2005
    Salem
    Id have to say more of mine have been morning kills. But I also have to say that recently most of the biggest bucks Ive seen have been in the evening.

8. a_ridgway

a_ridgway New Member

May 3, 2010
    For a lot of people its easier to sleep in or go out after work in the afternoons, and I think a lot of people gravitate to food sources and therefore shoot more in the fields. That's all just speculation though

9. seth_turner_04

seth_turner_04 Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2005
    Owensville, MO
    I've taken a buck with the bow the last three years during the prime time between end of October to gun season. Two have been killed in the morning around 8:30 and one was taken at 5:45pm. This time of year seems to be produce better in the morning for me.

10. ymurf

ymurf Active Member

Nov 4, 2006
    Steelville, Mo.
    I think 50/50 but I think I see more movement where I hunt in the mornings.

11. pinwheel

pinwheel Jenny's Lackey

Jun 17, 2006
    middle of nowhere
    [rquote=1884752&tid=131295&author=bow_junky]For a lot of people its easier to sleep in or go out after work in the afternoons, and I think a lot of people gravitate to food sources and therefore shoot more in the fields. That's all just speculation though[/rquote]

I would agree with this. This year, I'm setup quite a bit on bedding areas or trails leading to bedding areas & have seen the majority of my good deer in the mornings. Jenny has been hunting more on the food sources & has seen her best bucks in the evening. :cheers:

Between us, we've had nearly a dozen encounters with decent, to really good bucks.

12. goosekilla

goosekilla Senior Member

Dec 9, 2008
    west of STL
    most of mine have been killed before noon. i only have 2 from afternoons and 1 of those was last week

13. riverbottomhunter

riverbottomhunter Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2005
    Chariton Co.
    I bet I have got about 80% of mine in the afternoon/evening

14. mohunter32

mohunter32 Senior Member Lifetime Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2005
    Franklin Co, MO
    I've only shot 6 bucks in my life. Four were in the morning and two were in the afternoon. Wierd thing is, the four in the morning were all with a gun and the two in the afternoon were with a bow.

15. Wooddust

Wooddust Well-Known Member

Jul 26, 2003
    This year is nuts. On Saturday morning in 3 1/2 hours I saw exactly zero. Nada. Nuttin.

Same stand yesterday I had 8 deer by stand from daylight through the next hour, two were shooters but I could not even slow them down, one was a fawn, one a forky and the rest does running like mad away from the boys.

Have to load sprayer up this am so cannot hunt. Fescue killing job this week needs done or the client will have heart failure. Ill be in stand tonight and see what that brings.

Good luck today.

16. Mailman

Mailman Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Blue Springs Mo
    Most of my bucks are taken from 8 till 10 AM. Once in awhile I take one an hour or so before dark in deep timber. I figure those are on their way down into the bottoms where the grain fields are located and that is where the does hang out with their fawns. Most of the doe that I see in my timber are being pushed by a buck so I always watch the actions of the old does when they come walking through. If they stop and look back....get your weapon of choice ready.:2thumbsup:

17. marshallgrn

marshallgrn New Member

Apr 20, 2008
    in hiding
    Killed 6 deer over 130 and everyone of them have been after noon two was right before dark

18. MOhunter46

MOhunter46 New Member

Feb 22, 2009
    Sedalia,MO
    Ive killed 3 good bucks with my rifle and 3 good bucks with my bow. Ive killed all the rifle bucks in the afternoon and killed all the bow bucks in the morning so i guess its 50/50 for me.