Morels...

Discussion in 'Just Good Food' started by caf4, Apr 5, 2006.

1. caf4

caf4 Active Member

Feb 26, 2004
    St. Charles, MO
    ....no I haven't found any YET.

But...I am going hunting this Sunday with CFP.

I plan on going up there every weekend for the next 3 weeks by golly, should find some of them things.

Lucky for me....she does not like them so I will get to keep ALL of them. ;)

2. JarJar

JarJar New Member

Sep 27, 2005
    I was hoping for a picture full of them when I opened this, but I guess that I will have to wait and see whatcha get after this weekend.

I am heading out this weekend as well to do a few things....scout, set up blinds and OF COURSE hunt some morels!

Good luck to ya caf4!

3. caf4

caf4 Active Member

Feb 26, 2004
    St. Charles, MO
    Thanks Jarjar....I sure hope I am dipping some in Italian Breadcrumbs and browning them in butter by Sunday night....

OH MAN...I can smell 'em now.

4. Roscoe Dog

Roscoe Dog Active Member

Apr 15, 2003
    Maryland Heights,Mo
    Craig do you need any help? I have very good eyes now after lasik surgery.

5. hunter7x

hunter7x New Member

Oct 22, 2002
    Indiana
    I still think it's awful early. I get the itch also, but haven't ever found them this early.

6. Hannibal

Hannibal Senior Member

Dec 30, 2004
    Greene county
    to early up here, maybe a few greys

7. caf4

caf4 Active Member

Feb 26, 2004
    St. Charles, MO
    RD....heading that way Sunday morning....I can always use some help...interested?

You still on "good terms" with CFP?

8. caf4

caf4 Active Member

Feb 26, 2004
    St. Charles, MO
    hunter7x, we have had lots of rain and an extremely warm winter. There is lots of "greening" going on with the underbrush and I just have a feeling there may be a few out this weekend or next.

9. riverbottomhunter

riverbottomhunter Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2005
    Chariton Co.
    I plan on picking a mess of them myself next week. Won't be very good for my diet, but everyone has to make sacrifices.

10. MoBowman

MoBowman New Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Lee's Summit
  11. hunter7x

hunter7x New Member

Oct 22, 2002
    Indiana
    I go to the indiana morel board to see what's going on also.

And Caf4 I wasn't trying to discourage, I have just never found them this early dispite what the woods look like. I think its more of a time thing not a conditions thing. imo weather might have a role in how many you find, but I don't think it has a lot to do with when you'll find them.

12. coyotehunter

coyotehunter PURE KILLER

Jan 19, 2005
    mexico,mo.
    hey good luck,i ain't gonna go out till the neighbor finds some in his early spot.gonna save my legs,but boy am i ready for some:eek:

13. caf4

caf4 Active Member

Feb 26, 2004
    St. Charles, MO
    All I am really after is a litter of ticks and a covey of chiggers.... ;)

14. Mailman

Mailman Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Blue Springs Mo
    If that is all you want Caf4 I'll give you directions to my place.

15. 10pointer

10pointer Senior Member

Nov 10, 2003
    St.Charles CO
    yep i checked my honeyhole and nothing yet, and hopefully this years pickins are close to what they were last year and i only got out 2 mornings!

16. FiremanBrad

FiremanBrad New Member

Does anyone have a fat free, salt free recipe??? I was thinkin I'd try some in egg whites, rolled in cornmeal, and put em under the broiler for a little while and flip em halfway thru. Sucks not being able to fry em anymore...!!!

17. hunter7x

hunter7x New Member

Oct 22, 2002
    Indiana
    You guys are makin me hungry !

18. caf4

caf4 Active Member

Feb 26, 2004
    St. Charles, MO
    Look at the photo section of the link that MoBowman provided. Some IL morel pictures from places that are north of STL.

There just HAVE to be some out for me to find this weekend!!!! :D

19. mikeak

mikeak Member

They're up! My wife found 7 yellows this morning.Not the biggest but it'll be a taste,if she shares.
    Mike

20. caf4

caf4 Active Member

Feb 26, 2004
    St. Charles, MO
    Have any of you long time morel hunters noticed any correlation between where the big red false morels grow to where the real morels grow?

Also, I think I heard that the reds usually come up before the yellows. Any idea what the delta in days usually is?