More practice on antler broadheads

Discussion in 'Traditional Archery' started by Mailman, May 8, 2018.

1. Mailman

Mailman Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Blue Springs Mo
    Made a few more arrowheads from a shed antler yesterday. Finished them this morning.

From left to right here are their measurements and weights:

1 11/16 inches long and 1 1/4 inches wide weighing 61.4 grains

1 1/2 inches long and 3/4 inches wide weighing 43.4 grains

1 5/8 inches long and 1 1/4 inches wide weighing 52.4 grains

BTW.....I'm still trying to get that perfect flint arrowhead made. It WILL HAPPEN!

Deer antler points.jpg

2. sharps4590

sharps4590 Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2010
    Northern Ozarks
    Bill, can you get those sharp enough to cut?

3. Mailman

Feb 2, 2005
    Blue Springs Mo
    I'm not saying they are "sharp" compared to steel points but I sure wouldn't want one shot at me. History shows that they were used in hunting by our native Americans along with other pointy objects (gar scales, locust thorns).

I think it all boils down to poking a hole in your game and them bleeding out in time....tracking skills required. With the kinetic energy at 15 yards these will do the job just fine in my opinion.

4. sharps4590

Jan 7, 2010
    Northern Ozarks
    I can't imagine they won't work and work well. I was aware natives used them pre-white man, I was just curious if a fella could get any......some...kind of an "edge" on them. They sure look good.

WBF likes this.
  5. Mailman

Feb 2, 2005
    Blue Springs Mo
    All I know is the one on the left poked a hole in my finger while I was sharpening it.....and drew blood....easy peasy on the tracking job. :cool:

6. BustinBucks

BustinBucks Shotgun Instructor

Jul 31, 2006
    Eagleville, MO
  7. sharps4590

Jan 7, 2010
    Northern Ozarks
    Soooo....are you the only game animal you wounded non-fatally that you've recovered?........:D

8. Mailman

Feb 2, 2005
    Blue Springs Mo
    LOL :rofl:.......Probably the last one too. ;)

Doubt I ever use one for actual hunting. Thought it would be cool to replicate a tool my ancestors used at one time. Just like making a hickory bow. I could use a compound or heaven forbid the cursed crossbow to hunt with but where is the challenge in that?

sharps4590 likes this.