Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
14,501 Posts
Kudos to Keith!
If it's hunting season, are you gonna stay at home because someone says that the moon is affecting the deer movement Bowhunter4life? NO.....If you've got the time, and MDC says it's legal, get out there and hunt. I don't put too much importance in "moon phases", weather patterns and such, I just get out there, sit and enjoy. I PROMISE you that you're gonna see MORE deer if your in the timber during a poor "moon phase" than ya will sitting at home in you easy chair.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
I watched a series called (I think) Moon Beams. It was interesting and done by some pretty repitable guys. (Alshimer I think was one) Any way its all about moon phase and when to be out there. If I remember right, when the 1/4 moon is over head you can shoot a B&C with your eyes closed. If the 1/4 moon is not over head...stay home:bangin: .

I did find it interesting but as Hayzer and Gogop said..........hunt when ya can, EH!

·
Former Chicken Man
20,432 Posts
Here's a good analogy for you:
When Ellie and I decided to have a kid, she said we need to get one of those kits to find out when she's ovulating. I said we don't need to know, if we you-know-what every day! :dancin:

Point being - Whether it's hunting or conceiving, do it every chance you get and you don't have to worry about what day someone else says it's O.K. :wave:

GoGop = Kurt

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Well i think it makes logic sense and i heard it from and old timer. When the Moon is full, the deer will do all their moving at night, therfore they will be bedded down during the day. But if it is a New Moon, then they will bed down in the night and move in the day. I wouldn't scheadual my hunt to this, i would hunt when i can. But If this is of any help... Here it is.

·
Registered
70,769 Posts
This doesn't have a thing to do with the moon but an old timer (someone older that I am) told me to watch the cattle. If they are up and moving so are the deer.....if they are all laying down so are the deer. He said since they are both grazers they go by the same habits. I can't really say if I trust this assessment or not.

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
IM not saying i wont hunt, i hunt every chance i get, but it would help me out so i could understand the deer better. Thats all. plus if i think they will be bedded most of the day i would think they would get up every now and then just not go far so on those days maybe i would hunt a bedding area, just makes sense to me to learn as much as possible about deer behavior

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
I have people tell me that the moon has a lot to do with hunting which might be true. I don't put a lot of stock into it. I also don't put a lot of stock into scent control. Just an example, last year I sat in my stand for a couple of hours dying for a cigarette. It got so bad that I lit one. I hadn't seen a thing until I lit it, then all of the sudden they came from down wind of me. Every one of them had their nose in the air trying to find me. I was up about 25 or 30 feet and got a shot at a very nice doe. Which made my lunch of summer sausage today.
My point is that I don't try to figure them out, I find fresh deer sign and get up into a tree. Sooner or later one is bound to mess up and walk my way.

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
That's true, but I've had large deer within 3 yards of my tree and they never knew I was anywhere around.
People say not to relieve yourself anywhere around your tree, but after a while all urine turns to ammonia. One smells just like any other.

A better understanding of deer will increase your odds of getting that trophy deer.
Where I hunt, I've got the deer figured out. I know where they feed, where they bed down and where they feel safe. All of these places are very close to each other and it makes it tough to get in there and setup. I have bumped countless deer while trying to setup and usually within 20 minutes they settle back down.

·
Registered
8,318 Posts
The only thing I think has any truth is that after a full moon lit night the deer will be less mobile during the day because they are feeding out in the fields or where-ever during the time when they feel the safest (its also lighter than usaul out, so the deer can see better aswell)... which is at night when Lefty and the other camo-cladded warriors aren't trying to put one in the freezer!

·
Former Chicken Man
20,432 Posts
Originally posted by Lefty
The only thing I think has any truth is that after a full moon lit night the deer will be less mobile during the day because they are feeding out in the fields or where-ever during the time when they feel the safest (its also lighter than usaul out, so the deer can see better aswell)... which is at night when Lefty and the other camo-cladded warriors aren't trying to put one in the freezer!
Others will say that deer feed less when it's so bright at night, because they're more visible to predators.

I don't know if either version is true, but as I said it doesn't matter to me.

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
Just my opinion, but I believe the truth about deer is this; deer are where they are, deer do what they do and deer move because 1 of 5 reasons;
1. they are hungry.
2. they are thirsty.
3. they are tired.
4. they feel threatened by man or predator.
5. they have the urge to reproduce.

There again, it's just my opinion.

·
Registered
8,318 Posts
Originally posted by Cherokee
Just my opinion, but I believe the truth about deer is this; deer are where they are, deer do what they do and deer move because 1 of 5 reasons;
1. they are hungry.
2. they are thirsty.
3. they are tired.
4. they feel threatened by man or predator.
5. they have the urge to reproduce.

There again, it's just my opinion.
Seems about dead on to me!!
:cheers::cheers:

·
PURE KILLER
38,014 Posts
i hate hunting during a full moon,but i still do,but i hunt between ten and two at that time and if i am planning on a out of state hunt i will never do it during a full one.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.