Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Registered
19,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This scouting trip was fantastic! We found some elk and a few units to dive into come September. Tuesday morning it was 37 degrees and that was in no way depressing.

Water Water resources Plant Natural environment Tree

Plant Sky Natural landscape Larch Terrestrial plant

The term, "Big sky country" does not do this place justice.

Sky Cloud Plant Plant community Natural landscape

I could get used to a cabin out there....

Plant Plant community Natural landscape Road surface Wood

Water Sky Nature Natural landscape Grass

Mule deer were everywhere

Sky Dog Plant Cloud Carnivore

Cloud Sky Plant Natural landscape Fawn

· Máistir an pointe hocht.
75,132 Posts
Love me some Montana, headed back in 2020. :D

What area is that?

· Registered
19,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Gotcha, how does your tag work? Is it open to multiple units? Good luck out there, are you bow hunter, ML of firearms?
It's a general deer and elk tag, so I'm good to archery/rifle hunt general permit units for both species/both seasons.

It can get a little complicated past that point as some draw units still allow general permit holders to shoot spike/cows, but not for bulls. Then there are some units where you can shoot a brow tined bull/cow, but not a spike for instance.

The amount of hunting that can be done with that permit is incredible though, there are so many places to jump around to hunt mule deer in a given unit and elk in another from September through November.

Heck, I may even bring back a whitetail of all things....

· Registered
32,997 Posts
Montana was beautiful when we went, even though everything was covered in snow.

· King of Callaway
43,382 Posts
Been too long since I was out there, seen plenty of Muleys even had to stop a few times because so many were crossing the road. Also it was beautiful hunting lopes on the plains with the Rockies in the background. Also did well on ducks while we were there.

Good Luck out there this fall, can't wait to hear the story.

Reactions: letemgrow

· Super Moderator
28,586 Posts
It's a general deer and elk tag, so I'm good to archery/rifle hunt general permit units for both species/both seasons.

It can get a little complicated past that point as some draw units still allow general permit holders to shoot spike/cows, but not for bulls. Then there are some units where you can shoot a brow tined bull/cow, but not a spike for instance.

The amount of hunting that can be done with that permit is incredible though, there are so many places to jump around to hunt mule deer in a given unit and elk in another from September through November.

Heck, I may even bring back a whitetail of all things....
Good deal, thanks for explaining the process! Best of luck, should be an amazing time, hopefully you kill a great anima (would be the cherry on top)!!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.