Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My buddy goes to church with this guy. he sure has some big deer!

[file]83868[/file]http://xtremewhitetail.com/gallery/stormat2final_8.html

·
Registered
14,320 Posts
That is a freak show. Killing that deer would not be hunting.IMO pen raised is just wrong.

·
PURE KILLER
38,022 Posts
dang:cheers:wonder what kind of minerals he is using

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Not minerals, all you have to do is let them grow another year and they all look like that.[rquote=1507327&tid=105107&author=coyotehunter]dang:cheers:wonder what kind of minerals he is using[/rquote]

·
Horny D
5,645 Posts
[rquote=1507262&tid=105107&author=DADAKOTA]Killing that deer would not be hunting. [/rquote]

[file]83898[/file]

:rof2:

I think you're preaching to the choir on that one, man!:cheers:

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
[rquote=1507201&tid=105107&author=BowMadness]Ever wonder what deer like that feel like hauling all that junk around on top their heads? :confused::confused::confused:[/rquote]on the website theirs a buck whose hea leans to the left.

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
[rquote=1507262&tid=105107&author=DADAKOTA]That is a freak show. Killing that deer would not be hunting.IMO pen raised is just wrong.[/rquote]i agree he does offer hunts, and i would never hunt high fence but he sells the semen of them big bucks and its a heck of a way to make a living!!

·
Horny D
5,645 Posts
So is that how they determine good genetics in whitetails, by feeding them a controlled diet of suped-up nutrients and minerals (I'm assuming these deer eat a lot better than wild deer), and then seeing which ones grow the biggest sets? It would be interesting to see a set of pics of different bucks from different parents, yet all the same age, and all raised in the same controlled environment. I would like to see something like that just to get an idea of how much genetics play a part in antler growth.

Also, what do the buyers of the semen do, raise deer of their own? Or do they capture wild deer on their property and AI them with it?

[Edited on 12/12/2009 by Detrhoyt]

·
Confirmed Bachelor
10,482 Posts
A mix of both wild and game farms get the semen straws. It's a lot more prevalent in TX with the high fence operations. The exception in TX is the King Ranch. The King Ranch is low-fenced but so large, the herds can be managed relatively well.

There was a buck a few years ago down in TX called "Stickers". Word was it sold for about $1mil. It was a breeder buck. A straw would get them about $5K. And I think they could get that investment back in the first couple of years.

I imagine if you did some research of the breeding operations in TX there would be plenty of study results posted.

Pretty similar to all the genetic work to improve livestock.

Disclaimer: MizzouAg, if I am wrong on any of this, don't flame me to hard. :D

·
Banned
81,616 Posts
Would anybody besides me think the owner of that deer is fudging the age by a year or two to help sell fawns????

:cheers::cheers:

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.