Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
21,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was a swing and a miss.
Zero gobbles within 1 1/2 miles of my farm. I had just scouted Sat. morning and had a large group just across my place going crazy gobbling, then hens started going nuts on roost, so huge difference.
Sat up on field edge next to good roosting timber and made a few series of calls, finally got some hens to answer but nothing showed. Walked up on the bunch about an hour later. I was in a low spot and spotted several fanned out birds and others about 100 yards out, right next to my fence line. Sat down and tried calling them to me. Had a 2 yr. old try to sneak in on me, he circled me and showed up 8 yards behind me, with my gun pointing the opposite direction. He got behind a tree and I started to get my gun up, but he popped his head out before it was up. He started running like a wounded pheasant with his head low weaving through the knee high buck brush. I aimed and fired where his head should be at about 15 yards. Swing and a miss.

· Máistir an pointe hocht.
75,132 Posts
Beats working..... :D

And, you still get to hunt this week. :tup:

· Registered
21,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How do you know he was a 2 year old?
Mainly by his actions and smallish beard (guessing 7-8 inches) and frame. When I'm talking about sneaking I'm talking head down going through brush on the way too me and behind me while the main group of strutters and hens were less than one hundred yards away. I could hear the drumming and occasionally the spitting, and gobbling going on while he was in "sneak" mode.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.