Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so as i posted yesterday i made it to the range with both my 7's (.280 rem & 7mm R.M.) both are Ruger Mark II's, the 7mm is topped with a 2.5-10x40 4200 Elite (Bushnell), the .280 is topped with a 3-9x40 Nikon Monarch. there was considerable differance in field of view, resolution and edge to edge clarity, all of this going towards the Elite. mind you the Monarch was no sloutch but there was a clear differance. now i must point out that this Monarch is 6 yrs old, i got it in a trade. also when all cranked up there is a bit of a black ring or donut at the outside edge of the image, where the elite was crisp edge to edge. i recall reading some reports from folks complaining about that black circle and i'm under the impression that they may have cleaned that up in newer models. i'm going to send it in to the factory for a look. the power ring is very stiff to use, to the point it is an unwelcomed function. i've heard good things about the Monarch line and good things about Nikon's warantee/customer service so we'll see how they handle this. the other reason for sending it in was when i sighted the rifle in earlier, the clicks were way off. so i'm wondering if there isn't some stuff inside shook up a tad and after it get's a going through maybe it's optical performance will get a boost.i'll let you all know how Nikon treats the whole thing.

·
Registered
69,522 Posts
I have an older Bushnell Buckmaster that has decent clarity but the cross hairs are a bit big for target or long range shooting. I believe it is the Nikoplex. Just fine for deer out to 200 yards.

As for comparing scopes that I haven't shot before I usually browse through Cabelas lists on scopes for sale and read all of the reviews from owners of the particular scope. The Nikonl Monarch in question received a 4.4 out of 5 on their rating chart. The Bushnell Elite received 5 out of 5. That right there speaks volumes IMO. I'm curious to see if Nikon can clear up that black ring problem you are having.

·
Honey Badger Phat Sack
10,486 Posts
I bet Nikon has addressed that, I have a lower end Nikon 3X9 that is a year old and it is as clear as can be. Probably clearer than a one or maybe two of my high dollar scopes. The zoom ring is harder to turn than a Leupold but I'm sure the Monarch is better.

I've checked out an Elite and they seem to be nice scopes, I wouldn't hesitate to buy one.

·
Registered
69,522 Posts
This has got me to thinking about getting a new scope....may just drop in at the Bushnell Outlet store in Lees Summit on monday to see what they have in the Elite line of scopes. You can save a bunch of $ by stopping there and having a look see.

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
when i sighted that rifle in a few weeks back i went ti adjust for 3" of verticle adjustment and turned the turent 12 clicks (1/4 MOA clicks) and i got 6" of elevation change. i called Nikon later that same week and explained that to them and they said it sounds like something is wrong (duh). i was suppose to go out for the doe season yesterday so i waited to send that scope in as i wanted to cap a doe with the new rifle. well the hunt got cancled at the last minute so i went out yesterday one last time with the rifle/scope set up to see how the new ammo performs. now i'm taking it off and sending it in this week. i have heard that nikon has worked on the "Black Ring" donut thing on the newer models (last year or two i believe). i would love it if Nikpn would just replace this one with a newer model but i bet that don't happen.

·
Registered
648 Posts
I bet they will just send you a new one. I sent in the same exact Nikon you have a couple weeks ago because it had a loose objective lense. A couple weeks later UPS brought me back a new 2.5x10x42 Monarch. It also had some flip up scope caps and other stuff with it. I haven't had a chance to mount it on anything yet though so I can't tell you how it compared to the old Monarch. I got the old Monarch for free when I bought a AR15 off someone. It was all wrapped in camo tape and they just threw it in with the rifle. He told me it was an old cheap Tasco. I was really happy when I pulled all that tape off. So basically I got a new Monarch for free.

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Originally posted by 2manyhobbies
I bet they will just send you a new one. I sent in the same exact Nikon you have a couple weeks ago because it had a loose objective lense. A couple weeks later UPS brought me back a new 2.5x10x42 Monarch. It also had some flip up scope caps and other stuff with it. I haven't had a chance to mount it on anything yet though so I can't tell you how it compared to the old Monarch. I got the old Monarch for free when I bought a AR15 off someone. It was all wrapped in camo tape and they just threw it in with the rifle. He told me it was an old cheap Tasco. I was really happy when I pulled all that tape off. So basically I got a new Monarch for free.
i can only hope i get as lucky. was your power selector ring really hard to turn as well on that thing? also did you experiance the black ring/donut look i refered to?

·
Registered
18,764 Posts
I love my Elite 4200 as well

·
Registered
648 Posts
JH the power selector ring was very hard to turn. The scope was never mounted so I can't say about the black ring. As soon as I found the loose objective lense I sent it to Nikon. The power selector ring on the new one is much easier to turn. Hope you have the same outcome as me. By the way you can get all the paperwork to send it back from Nikon if you didn't already know. They also don't really ever update the status of your work order on their website you have to call. It took about 3 weeks before the UPS guy showed up with my new scope. Good luck.

·
Banned
11,330 Posts
The Elite is the best scope I have ever used. I put on a Nikon Buckmaster on my first gun and it is TERRIBLE. I know the Monarch line is a lot better though. I just thought for 200 dollars the Buckmaster would have been a better scope. Not a big Nikon fan anymore.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Might be the cold weather making the adjustment hard to turn. I know mine turn real easy during summertime but stiffen up as the weather turns cold.

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i've had this scope inside my house for a few weeks now. while i don't have the thermostat cranked way up, it is at a level that is warm enough to not need winter clothes on and as a result i would think the scope would have loosened up enough by now if that was a problem. i'm pretty sure this one has a few issues. i will say though i will be surprised if Nikon doesn't make it right. from what i've seen so far with other folks, Nikon's customer service is pretty good when needed. until they prove otherwise to me i'm just gonna give them the benifit of the doubt. i'll be shipping it out tomorrow.

·
just a no body
14,533 Posts
I see the Leupolds VX-III's & VX-V's are on sale I got a Cabelas Club Card flyer for $100 off . I got $250 in Cabelas points .. which means I can get a $500+/- VX III - $100- $250 for a resonable cost .

I think for me its now or never

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
beanpile i don't even know why you are waiting :stickfight:
tell ya what if you can use those points and what not just toss em my way :rock:

·
just a no body
14,533 Posts
actually i'm thinking the VX-III 4.5 X 14x40 or the 3.5 X 10 X50 :thinking:

going on my 270 winchester

I have a older philipino Simmons 3x10X44 ( 44 mag ) now.. I'm sure either will be light years better than I what I got now

·
Registered
8,513 Posts
bean
what would ya take for the 44 mag
when ya change

·
just a no body
14,533 Posts
I dunno ..might just keep it as a spare ..its never failed me, I almost feel bad for taking it off . Its been on my Winny since day #1

1 - 20 of 50 Posts