Moles

Discussion in 'Social Club 2011' started by Marine95, May 20, 2009.

1. Marine95

Marine95 New Member

Feb 21, 2006
    Fenton
    Anyone have a good way to get rid of these things. They are starting to tear up my backyard?

2. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    Harpoon traps are the only surefire way to get it done.

Juicy fruit gum wont work, they dont eat gum.
    poison peanuts dont work, they are carnivores.
    Praying dont work cause God loves moles.
    Grub insecticides work mildly but they love to eat earthworms too.
    Deadfalls using water and coffee cans MAY work but who wants that much trouble?

A lawnchair and spade shovel (patience involved) is the only way I have found to work to any certainty.

3. PMan

PMan Retired

Dec 3, 2002
    22--------DONT try it with a 40-----:peepwall:

:rof2::rof2::rof2:

4. Heeler75

Heeler75 Confirmed Bachelor

Feb 10, 2008
    Over Yonder Way
    Agree with Rat. Traps are the only way. Dad gets moles every year and he's on them with those traps like flies on ..... well, you know. :D

5. leasburg

leasburg Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2007
    South County MO
    Okay heres what you do get a 12 pack and a lawn chair get a spade or a 22 and have fun :cheers:

6. UrbanHunter

UrbanHunter Well-Known Member

Somewhere a month or two ago there's a thread just like this one. I knocked them out with conventional mole poison in the little pointed paper can.
    I did start out with the high dollar ($28) grub shaped worms from the elevator. That killed about 75%. Cheap stuff from the hardware store finished them off.
    I'm mole liberated, and I still have earthworms.
    Yahoo!:cheers:

7. BioBuck

BioBuck Active Member

I worked for a wildlife nuisance trapping company back in the day and trapping moles was their number one money maker. We used scissor traps, and 95% of the time when they were set off, there was a dead mole in the trap. I bought a couple at a local farm/feed store and all of my neighbors and family members that have used the trap end up with dead moles and tunnel free yards. I haven't had a mole last more than 3 days in my yard.

I don't like the harpoon traps because the pan that sets the trap off is above ground and most have to be reset over and over again before they finally kill the critter. It was pretty common to have the harpoon traps set off during heavy rain storms or have a mole set it off and the tunnel was too deep for the spikes to reach and kill the mole when it was set off.

The scissor legs are arranged so that the mole tunnel goes between them. There is a pan located in the middle of the trap that sets off when the mole pushes against it...BAM...DEAD!

Here's a pic of the lethal device..

[file]57964[/file]

8. 90acres

90acres The good ole days

Mar 4, 2003
    Wardsville
    I'm going to find me some of those scissors thingys.

9. venatic

venatic ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I may have to look at getting some of those scissor traps too. A friend of ours has moles bad.

10. yankee

yankee Senior Member

i dig holes into the tunnels, pour in 1/2 a quart of gas, let the fumes spread through the tunnel, and drop in a lit match, repeat at next tunnel..

disclaimer: persons (person) doing this is responsible for there and others safety

11. coyotehunter

coyotehunter PURE KILLER

Jan 19, 2005
    mexico,mo.
    [rquote=1270430&tid=88935&author=BioBuck]I worked for a wildlife nuisance trapping company back in the day and trapping moles was their number one money maker. We used scissor traps, and 95% of the time when they were set off, there was a dead mole in the trap. I bought a couple at a local farm/feed store and all of my neighbors and family members that have used the trap end up with dead moles and tunnel free yards. I haven't had a mole last more than 3 days in my yard.

I don't like the harpoon traps because the pan that sets the trap off is above ground and most have to be reset over and over again before they finally kill the critter. It was pretty common to have the harpoon traps set off during heavy rain storms or have a mole set it off and the tunnel was too deep for the spikes to reach and kill the mole when it was set off.

The scissor legs are arranged so that the mole tunnel goes between them. There is a pan located in the middle of the trap that sets off when the mole pushes against it...BAM...DEAD!

[/rquote]never seen one of those before pretty darn neat,gonna have to look around for that:rock:

12. blevely

blevely White Board Man

Jul 15, 2004
    Here and There
    get a cat

I get 1 or 2 a year and the cat gets after them, leaves em on the porch for us too.

13. Roscoe Dog

Roscoe Dog Active Member

Apr 15, 2003
    Maryland Heights,Mo
    A couple of years ago my wife told me to come outback and when I did she showed me were the ground was moving in our strawberry patch so I got my sons fungo bat out and gave it a whack. Killed and buried at the same time.

14. hunter7x

hunter7x New Member

Oct 22, 2002
    Indiana
    garden hose and a .410 or a .50 which ever you think you need. cold beer binos and a sniper scope on the .17 could be fun too

15. SHORTSHOT

SHORTSHOT Active Member

Feb 24, 2009
    KANSAS CITY
    I NEED ONE OF THOSE SCISSOR TRAPS. GOT ONE MOLE THAT I THOUGHT WAS GOTTEN RID OF BUT APPARENTLY NOT. GONNA GIT THAT SUCKER NOW THOUGH. THANKS FOR THE INFO.:cheers:

16. Reflex

Reflex Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2007
    Sullivan, MO
    Tannerite!!! :peepwall:

17. JustBob

JustBob New Member

gas and match works great

18. Reflex

Reflex Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2007
    Sullivan, MO
    [rquote=1270562&tid=88935&author=JustBob]gas and match works great[/rquote]

See Tannerite!!! :rock:

19. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    [rquote=1270430&tid=88935&author=BioBuck]I worked for a wildlife nuisance trapping company back in the day and trapping moles was their number one money maker. We used scissor traps, and 95% of the time when they were set off, there was a dead mole in the trap. I bought a couple at a local farm/feed store and all of my neighbors and family members that have used the trap end up with dead moles and tunnel free yards. I haven't had a mole last more than 3 days in my yard.

[/rquote]
    I forgot about those scissor traps Joe.. .thanks.
    I havent used them but heard the same thing from folks that know like yerself. I have a couple moles in the back yard that arent causing me any concern yet but if they get to my front, I'm getting me some scissor traps!

The moles I have are actually doing a good job of aerating my hosta and burning bush beds.

I've killed my share by just watching a fresh run and waiting for movement... cutem in half with a spade shovel.
    The neighbors kinda wonder whats up though when they see some dolt in the yard staring at the ground for 10 or 15 minutes. LOL

20. HawgHead

HawgHead New Member

Mar 19, 2006
    New Madrid County, MO
    A cat named alley and a jack russell named ozzie