Modeerhunter 2015

Discussion in 'Member Hunting Journals' started by Modeerhunter, Oct 2, 2015.

1. henry

henry Fan Boy aka Mr Twisty and

The brown part is important unless your a Texan.

2. Modeerhunter

Modeerhunter New Member

Mar 7, 2007
    Gasconade County
    My uncle found a pretty good dead buck tonight on our property this evening. Possibly one of the mature bucks I have some trail cam pics of. It's stiff as a board, but not chewed up at all. Going to retrieve it in the morning. Already called the CA about getting a disposition tag for the antlers, waiting to hear back from him. Will post some pics tomorrow.

3. 20 feet high

20 feet high CROSSBOW HATER!

Feb 19, 2009
  4. Modeerhunter

Modeerhunter New Member

Mar 7, 2007
    Gasconade County
    I seriously doubt it. Maybe CCD. As in Can't cheat death. :D

5. WBF

WBF Wolf Brook Farms

Oct 25, 2013
    Obvious Wound? Hate to hear that. Any idea how long he'd been there?

6. Modeerhunter

Modeerhunter New Member

Mar 7, 2007
    Gasconade County
    Well, I talked to the CA this morning, then we went and retrieved him. No obvious wounds of any kind, but he's been there long enough to start stinking pretty good. I'm going to have to go back through my trail cam pics, but from what I can tell, I don't think I have any pics of this guy at all this season. He's a pretty good buck, with decent mass. I'd guess him close to 120", but I'll put a tape to him in the next day or two.

Attached Files:

7. 20 feet high

Feb 19, 2009
    Bummer MDH, WOD have been what ya want next year!

8. henry

henry Fan Boy aka Mr Twisty and

He came this close to making it thru the season. To bad.

9. WBF

WBF Wolf Brook Farms

Oct 25, 2013
    If you can stand it... i would entertain the idea of skinning him out just to make sure. Metal Detector works pretty good too.

10. Modeerhunter

Modeerhunter New Member

Mar 7, 2007
    Gasconade County
    Yeah, it is too bad. I'm pretty sure he's a 4.5 year old, and another year may have done his rack some good.

11. Modeerhunter

Modeerhunter New Member

Mar 7, 2007
    Gasconade County

Yeah, that's not going to happen, unless the conservation agent wants to skin him. He's pretty ripe as is, and it's going to be pretty warm the next couple of days. :D

12. Modeerhunter

Modeerhunter New Member

Mar 7, 2007
    Gasconade County
    Here are the two bucks our hunters killed during gun season, and the only 2 deer we have taken off the property so far this year. Both were 3 1/2 years old, and as far as I know, the biggest buck either has ever shot.

Attached Files:

13. WBF

WBF Wolf Brook Farms

Oct 25, 2013
    Reason I mention it is due a video the Grant Woods had on his site regarding a deer that was shot by a low caliber weapon. 22lr or similar. You could never tell by looking at the deer exterior. The small hole and the way the hair covered the entrance wound you would have never noticed it. Little to no blood blood was evident.

14. Modeerhunter

Modeerhunter New Member

Mar 7, 2007
    Gasconade County
    Certainly a possibility. He was found about 150 yards or so from a county road. It's also possible he got in a fight and lost. I know there was a real bruiser of a buck using that area of the property this year.

15. Modeerhunter

Modeerhunter New Member

Mar 7, 2007
    Gasconade County
    I scored that dead buck today, and he scored quite a bit more than I expected. Gross 135 3/8". Shame one of us couldn't have shot him, but nice to at least have the rack.

16. I-55 Bandit

I-55 Bandit New Member

Mar 29, 2011
    St. Louis
    bummer, I'm glad he didn't measure 120 or I'd have needed to get mine scored again

17. Modeerhunter

Modeerhunter New Member

Mar 7, 2007
    Gasconade County
    Yeah, once I totaled all of the numbers, I rechecked them just to be sure. I then brought the head inside and compared him to one I have on the wall that I scored at 137 4/8, and they are about the same except mine has a bigger spread.

18. 20 feet high

Feb 19, 2009
    agree, I thought he was one of the biggest 120' I have ever seen on here!

19. Modeerhunter

Modeerhunter New Member

Mar 7, 2007
    Gasconade County
    Well, since the weather wasn't all that good for bowhunting today, I went and did some fishing. Only caught 3, one catfish and a couple of bluegill, but it should be enough for a couple of fish sandwiches for dinner tonight. :D

20. Modeerhunter

Modeerhunter New Member

Mar 7, 2007
    Gasconade County
    I went out for a short hunt yesterday evening, and I saw absolutely nothing, not even a squirrel.

This morning I got out early, and set up on the edge of a bedding area that usually sees some use this time of year. Unfortunately, no deer were seen. I did see one squirrel, and four geese though. I can't say I'm surprised. I haven't gotten a single daytime deer picture in over 4 weeks. And that is with 5 cams out in the woods.

I did get this picture on my carcass cam the other day, thought it was pretty cool.

Attached Files: