Modeerhunter 2015

Discussion in 'Member Hunting Journals' started by Modeerhunter, Oct 2, 2015.

1. WBF

WBF Wolf Brook Farms

Oct 25, 2013
    We're close to 5in here. All the creeks are over the banks. May have to do some major adjustments getting to/from stand sites. Probably get out and do some sneaking with all the rain covered leaves and high winds forcasted for tomorrow.

2. Modeerhunter

Modeerhunter New Member

Mar 7, 2007
    Gasconade County
    Yesterday's hunting was a bust, with no deer seen. Hoping this cold front will help get them moving a bit.

3. WBF

WBF Wolf Brook Farms

Oct 25, 2013
    Yesterday was the slowest of the season here.

4. Modeerhunter

Modeerhunter New Member

Mar 7, 2007
    Gasconade County
    I saw a few deer today. This morning I only saw 1, and it saw me first. The only view I got was a white flag waving goodbye. This afternoon, I saw 2 bucks. The first was a 3 1/2 year old I have a bunch of pictures of. He walked right behind the stand and ended up at 5 yards. The next was a little spike that came by about 30 minutes later.

5. Modeerhunter

Modeerhunter New Member

Mar 7, 2007
    Gasconade County
    Nothing moving where I was at this morning. Sat until 10:30 and saw nothing but squirrels.

6. Modeerhunter

Modeerhunter New Member

Mar 7, 2007
    Gasconade County
    I had a great set up this morning on the downwind edge of a bedding area, and had pretty high hopes. While one buck did read the script and move through as if on cue, he was just a spikey. This afternoon was a bust, nothing moving but the squirrels.

7. coyotehunter

coyotehunter PURE KILLER

Jan 19, 2005
    mexico,mo.
    Better hustle getting down to the wire now:wave:

8. Muleskinner

Muleskinner Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2006
    Osage County
    Maybe you need a blind? ImageUploadedByMissouri Hunting1448330036.452844.jpg

9. Modeerhunter

Modeerhunter New Member

Mar 7, 2007
    Gasconade County
    I hunted Tuesday morning and saw no deer. I did see one gobbler, after he gobbled on the roost 7 or 8 times, he walked up the hill past me and gobbled a couple of more times.

10. henry

henry Fan Boy aka Mr Twisty and

The hunger games will start before long. That will bring them out and about. If we can get some extended cold that puts them in eating mode. It would be even sweeter with a little snow cover to make them concentrate instead of spread all over eating acorns.

11. WBF

WBF Wolf Brook Farms

Oct 25, 2013

It's coming after all this rain. Deercember! Is just around the corner!

12. Modeerhunter

Modeerhunter New Member

Mar 7, 2007
    Gasconade County
    I've got the standing corn, and the cold weather gear, bring on the snow.

13. WBF

WBF Wolf Brook Farms

Oct 25, 2013
    How many acres still have ears hanging from the stalks?:D

14. Modeerhunter

Modeerhunter New Member

Mar 7, 2007
    Gasconade County
    Not near as much now compared to two weeks ago. I may head down there this afternoon and try to shoot me a doe.

15. cshoff

cshoff New Member

Aug 25, 2009
    Gasconade County
    Me too. ;) We will be over around 1:30.

16. Big L

Big L Trapper Groupie

Aug 8, 2008
    Bonne Terre
    Good luck fellas!

17. Modeerhunter

Modeerhunter New Member

Mar 7, 2007
    Gasconade County
    No luck for me this evening. All I saw was a few squirrels and a bunch of doves. The critters have definitely hit the corn fields hard over the last couple of weeks, not much left at this point.

18. WBF

WBF Wolf Brook Farms

Oct 25, 2013
    I know you told me this but.... how many acres of corn do you put in? I've threatened to plant some but with the deer density we have and other competitors I doubt it will make it for a late season draw.

19. Modeerhunter

Modeerhunter New Member

Mar 7, 2007
    Gasconade County
    Last year, I only planted about an acre with corn, and still had some ears left as spring turkey season was starting. This year, I planted about 3 acres, and there won't be anything left before too long. Deer numbers haven't really changed much, and there were way more acorns this year, so not exactly sure why they hit it so hard and fast this season.

20. Modeerhunter

Modeerhunter New Member

Mar 7, 2007
    Gasconade County
    Went out for a couple of hours this evening. While sitting, I only saw a few squirrels. On the way back to the house, I saw one, but only the white flag part. Too dark by then to see the brown part of it.