Modeerhunter 2015

Discussion in 'Member Hunting Journals' started by Modeerhunter, Oct 2, 2015.

1. Modeerhunter

Modeerhunter New Member

Mar 7, 2007
    Gasconade County
    Today was my first hunt of the season, and it was a pleasant one. I watched some squirrels carry ears of corn out of the fields and drag them off into the woods for the first hour or so, then a bit later had a deer step out into one of my shooting lanes at 30 yards. Just before I started to turn and prepare to draw, I noticed something sticking out from behind it's ear. It was a little bitty spike, and then a second one. Not sure if either of them were 3" long, but still gets a pass. Here's the view from where I was sitting.

Attached Files:

2. Modeerhunter

Modeerhunter New Member

Mar 7, 2007
    Gasconade County
    I had another good sit this evening. I was hoping the cloud cover would have them up and moving a bit earlier, but that wasn't the case where I was sitting. About 6:40 I had a doe and a mini come into one of the strips I cut in a cornfield. The fed out of range for quite a while before starting to work my way, but by the time that made it into range, it was too dark to see my sight pins. I let them walk off before getting out of the stand and then came on back to the house.

3. Modeerhunter

Modeerhunter New Member

Mar 7, 2007
    Gasconade County
    No luck this evening, although I enjoyed the time in the stand. The wind was swirling a bit, but not sure if that had anything to do with the lack of deer sightings. Oh well, there's always next time.

4. Modeerhunter

Modeerhunter New Member

Mar 7, 2007
    Gasconade County
    Following all of the "hunt the woods" advice, I went to a stand in an area that is loaded with acorns this evening. And I saw no less than at least a dozen................ squirrels. Unfortunately, that didn't translate into any deer sightings. It was a nice evening though, and the wind was perfect, and I didn't spook any deer on the way in, or out. The predicted south/southwest wind they are calling for starting sometime tomorrow opens up some possibilities I haven't had yet this season, so some new views will be in order in the next couple of days.

5. henry

henry Fan Boy aka Mr Twisty and

Good luck. And enjoy. I don't like to hunt hard this time of year, but I enjoy sits that are geared towards recon as much as bloodshed. No pressure and just enjoy the sits.

6. Modeerhunter

Modeerhunter New Member

Mar 7, 2007
    Gasconade County
    I don't hunt real hard this time of season. As you can see. almost a month in, and I've only made 4 sits. I won't even think about a morning hunt for another week and a half or so.

7. henry

I have made 4 sits as well. Have seen several deer and had a great time. As I have aged I have noticed I get a lot more enjoyment out of watching and don't feel the pressure I used to , to shoot.

8. WBF

WBF Wolf Brook Farms

Oct 25, 2013
    How many acres is that corn field? Is it mainly a food plot or do you harvest the corn?

9. Modeerhunter

Modeerhunter New Member

Mar 7, 2007
    Gasconade County
    It's a food plot, will be left standing until it's time to plant next spring. Total of about 3 or so acres.

10. WBF

WBF Wolf Brook Farms

Oct 25, 2013
    I've been flirting with putting some corn in a 3-4 acre plot. But hesitant due to our deer density. Do you still have some ears present come late season ?

11. Modeerhunter

Modeerhunter New Member

Mar 7, 2007
    Gasconade County
    Yes. That corn is also mixed with soybeans, so it's a double punch. The beans didn't do great due to the browse pressure, but there are still a bunch of pods in there. Last year I planted less corn, and had less acorns, and still scattered some ears right before spring turkey season when I brush hogged it. I expect that next spring when I mow it, the turkeys will be in heaven. :D

12. WBF

WBF Wolf Brook Farms

Oct 25, 2013
    Do you plant the corn and beans at the same time through a grain drill? Do you plant the different seeds per row or just mix them in the bins?

13. Modeerhunter

Modeerhunter New Member

Mar 7, 2007
    Gasconade County
    I broadcast them at the same time. The beans will never be green come hunting season, but I really just use them as a good summer food source, and to add some nitrogen into the ground to feed the corn. If they make pods, that's all the better.

14. WBF

WBF Wolf Brook Farms

Oct 25, 2013
    Sent ya a pm!

15. Modeerhunter

Modeerhunter New Member

Mar 7, 2007
    Gasconade County
    Nothing doing this evening. Lots of squirrels out and about, but I saw no deer. I did devise a game plan for tomorrow while I was sitting there, and if the wind holds, it should be good.

16. Modeerhunter

Modeerhunter New Member

Mar 7, 2007
    Gasconade County
    I had my sit this evening cut a bit short. I did get to watch a hawk dive bomb squirrels for about 30 minutes, and it's hunt was as successful as mine. :D The wind switched on me with only a half an hour of light left, and forced me to leave early. One of the guys hunting here missed a 4.5 year old 8 pointer this evening. Thinks he hit a branch. Hoping that buck shows back up on cam soon so I can be sure of a clean miss. I may have to spend some time looking for any sign of a hit, or a miss over the next couple of days.

17. henry

Hopefully the arrah will turn up and tell you.

18. Modeerhunter

Modeerhunter New Member

Mar 7, 2007
    Gasconade County
    First morning sit of the season, and I saw no deer. Saw plenty of squirrels, and heard some turkeys. I must admit that I was a bit under dressed, and sitting on the ridge top with the wind blowing, I got a tad cold.

19. Modeerhunter

Modeerhunter New Member

Mar 7, 2007
    Gasconade County
    Yeah, I think we are going to do a little looking around for it at midday. I might check one of my cameras in the area to see if he showed himself after the encounter.

20. catdaddy

catdaddy blu bogart

Dec 30, 2007
    t'aint say'n
    might?......why else do yo have camara's out....iffin yo aint gonna check em?:D
    my bad.....just thought id interject some humor to this dismal thread.:boohoo::scared::rof2: