Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner

MO Timber Price Trends/Hickory?

5K views 48 replies 21 participants last post by  Mork 
#1 ·
Anyone have luck selling Hickory? I've never found it to be an option loggers want.

Yet, it consistently has a solid price? Who's buying these and where?

Font Rectangle Parallel Screenshot Pattern

See less See more
#4 ·
That's what I was thinking

#12 ·
I assume that price is for a certain number of board feet. How is that calculated?

#22 ·
Although hardwood lumber prices have decreased significantly, some commodity species such as poplar, red oak, and maple, have begun to rebound from the 6-7 month decline. Walnut certainly has. Timber owners are still holding onto prices from 18 months ago, causing supply issues. Green lumber prices are increasing as concentration yards need to get the lumber to keep drying. Also affecting log prices is a below average logging season and a high export of logs. China's opening and increased lumber purchasing has affected the overall availability of KD inventory and that will also apply pressure to the log supply domestically.

White oak is the only species that may continue to decline due to overproduction and a slow European market. Demand for all species remains high, but not as high as in 2021, which should be seen as an anomaly for almost every industry.

Hickory itself is mostly affected by the imports and world supply chain of hardwood flooring competitors flowing easier into the country. Hickory is used less than almost every domestic hardwood for mouldings, cabinets, wall panels etc.

#27 ·
Curious as to how long of a wait after you first start the process of first contacting forester for logging have you experienced to when the first tree is felled? Are most loggers doing the logging in the winter months or does the month matter? Thinking of having my 40 acres logged.

#30 ·
@Mailman What wood are you logging hard wood ? Some of my neighbors have done this and it makes a mess . Tops and rose bushes everywhere . I would never log mine unless really needed money.
Select walnuts are valuable but I’ll keep them too.
If it’s cedar hard to get anyone do it for free.
in regards to that yea it is unsightly but the deer love it. Tops make easy firewood cuttn. It gives them a place to hide and if it's when the leaves are green more munchables. It does seem to encourage the multiflora to sprout but with 40 I think it'd be easy enough to nip in the nud..rabbits like to hide in our multi flora. Logging them big trees can be detrimental to have the Big Birds roosting on your place if you have some. Just from my limited experience you have to find a logger that gets what your looking to accomplish and it helps just to be on site showing an interest and learning all while being quality control

#40 ·
Large acreage/contiguous log jobs are the absolute worst possible thing for the turkey population. Nobody will EVER convince me otherwise. Few, couple acre patches of brush, tops and slash scattered over a couple hundred acres of woods is fine or half the couple hundred acres very selectively cut is fine. Cut it all and you’ve ruined the turkey population for 30 years or mor on your property.

#41 ·
Mine was partially logged before I bought it. The logger ran roughshod when the previous owner wasn't watching/knew what they were doing. Oaks were all hollow so they ended up taking more than they were ever allowed. Can't tell you how many double trunked oaks they took one side from and a lot ended up dying as deadfall.

It did create a mess of multi-flora but turned mine into a doe haven. There are pregnant does everywhere when it greens up

#43 ·
I have a small timber sale out for bid right now. I have 292 white oaks marked for sale with an estimated 26,685 board feet of lumber on the Doyle scale. So far low bid was $12,000 and the high so far right at $18,000. These trees are part of an existing thinning effort and are in no way "high quality" trees, but rather a sale being conducted to enhance the remaining trees timber value further down the road. Timber values vary greatly depending on market, logger interest, ease of access, etc.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.