Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
38,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Plan to attend the 8th Annual MoJam...Mo. Ozark Selfbow Jamboree. If you are remotely interested in ANYTHING traditional in archery, this is the place to be!!! If you ever wanted to build a selbow (bow made from one piece of wood), ever wanted to learn to Knap flint, ya need to come to Marshall for this event. There will also be several vendors selling thier goods. The last several years, there have been people from 30+ states and several countries!!! You can learn to build your own, or just buy one. We will also have a range set up, so you can shoot your bow once you get it made. This is a really good time folks!!! Dates are July 21-23. Here's a link with all the details.....

http://www.earlsworld.com/bowyers.html

· Registered
70,784 Posts
I picked up a couple of old bows at an antique shop a few years back and am curious if they are safe to shoot. I have no idea of the poundage. They are not recurves but look to be one solid piece of wood except for the handle area. Could anyone there help me in getting these bows back in shooting condition?

· Registered
38,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If they are still shootable, you will find the right person to help ya out, Mailman...If all they need is a string, I can make that for ya...I work cheap!!!

· Registered
70,784 Posts
The thing is if I put on a string to short when I pull it back will it break? Or the other way...to long.....am I loosing poundage. There are no markings on the bows at all. They look to be hickory. One is 55 inches and the other is 61 inches. Here are a few pics of them. Probably best to just keep them for display purposes....right?

Attachments

· Registered
38,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Breakage would be a chance ya take, pulling them back...Display would be one way of not breaking them...lol. Your draw length would be alot shorter than mine, you try it first...hehehe.

Yes, too long, or too short of a string changes things. I would put a string on them that would give you a 4" brace height. If you get down this way for MOJAM, bring em along, let some guys look at them...hard to tell from the pics, but I'd string that longer one up and have some fun!!!

And by the way, those bows already had an arrah rest....the top of yo hand!!!!!!

· Registered
70,784 Posts
Yea...I knew about the rest on top of my hand but when you shoot plastic vanes they tend to hurt just a bit when they slide across the top of your knuckle. I put on an old string I found from my old recurve and I didn't have any wooden arrows with feathers to try, just my aluminum ones. It left a red whelp after about 6 arrows. I just may go to that jamboree just to find out how old these things are and what if anything I could hunt with them besides rabbits.

· Registered
38,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You'll be able to find arrows, from cheap ones up to hi dolla custom crested and splice fletched at MoJam...Plus all kinds of good advice on the bows. Your bowshop could also help you find out the draw weight for you...nock an arrow, draw to your anchor point, and have someone mark, or put a piece of tape on the arrow shaft, right at the front edge of the bow. Then pull it down on the bowscales, CAREFULLY, with the arrow nocked on the string, until you hit the mark..awkward, but it works! With the right arrow (heavy enuff spine, and just plain HEAVY), 45 plus pounds will get ya in the stand!!!!! As long as ya hit da rite spot, eh!!!!

· Registered
1,339 Posts
I don't know a thing about traditional archery, so I've decided that I'm going to learn something. My wife's cousin lives near Marshall, so I think we're all gonna go.

Can I shoot the 3D range with a compound bow or is it reserved only for traditional?

Do you know what the demonstrations are going to be and what time?
Thanks
-ACES

· Registered
38,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Originally posted by ACES
I don't know a thing about traditional archery, so I've decided that I'm going to learn something. My wife's cousin lives near Marshall, so I think we're all gonna go.

Can I shoot the 3D range with a compound bow or is it reserved only for traditional?

Do you know what the demonstrations are going to be and what time?
Thanks
-ACES
The 3D range is pretty much for the trad crowd that weekend...so the guys that make a bow can try it out!!!

Try the link that I posted above for demos and such...not sure they are all set in stone just yet. I believe there is one demo on gluing snakeskins to your bow limbs, for starters. Usually one on string making too. There is also a "hatchet bow" contest...making a bow with only a hatchet for tools, no draw knife, scraper, etc....pretty cool stuff!!! Also, if you want to learn to knap flint arrowheads, don't be afraid to set in and ask all the guys doin just that!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.