Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 146 Posts

·
CROSSBOW HATER!
48,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am just trying to get this right, prior to the unlimited antleress tags MO hunter we not harvesting nearly the amount does needed to control the population. Now we have been hunting the deer for multiple years with the unlimited antlerless and the unrelenting gun pressure, but the herd still needs to be reduced, it is not where the numbers need to be? Reason might suggest that the herd would be at a reasonable level now or soon and we could possibly consider scaling back the gun days as opposed to adding them.

There are many smart folks on here, so please help explain.

Thanks

·
Registered
8,513 Posts
i dont think you will see much in the way of change
with the way deer reproduce if they let up the kill for a few years it will be
as high or higher then it was
there is no way to ballence it out and keep every body happy

·
CROSSBOW HATER!
48,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
[rquote=1487732&tid=103933&author=FiremanBrad]Never gonna happen! :wave:[/rquote]

It could if enough of us speak up and the number would ACTUALLY warrant it...it could, but you are correct it won't.

·
CROSSBOW HATER!
48,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
[rquote=1487749&tid=103933&author=mohunter32]What population is the MDC striveing to reach?[/rquote]

that is the $24,000,000 question that as far as I know they NEVER answer.:shrug:

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Here in Tn. we can shoot up to 3 does a day in Unit L with a Sportsmans or Type 94 license without purchasing additional tags . Hunters still don't take enough does in these areas .
I would think that adding the doe season to the first week of rifle season would accomplish their goal without extending the doe season .

·
Banned
1,048 Posts
There is supposed to be a a harvest of approx 1/3 of the herd each year tokeepit stable. Right now we harvest about 250000to 300000 deer. With an estimated 1.3 million, we're really not to that point yet. Yes, some areas have seen a decrease, but others have seen increases. Next to impossible to micro manage the state. I believe it will take the efforts of the hunters, which is next to impossible, to help spread the kills. If you areas don't have the deer it used to, then I hope some of the hunters quit killing extra does just to donate or give away. On the other hand, if you have does out the ying yang, by all means, shoot the heck ouyt of them for a few years. I don't think there could ever be a perfect solution.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Why would you want to scale back the gun days? Out of 120 days that deer season is open, modern rifles are allowed for 20-21 days (half of that anterless only) and another 10 days are for muzzleloaders. By my count, that gives gun hunters roughly 1/4 of the available open season to hunt. Is 3/4 not enough time for archery only?[rquote=1487727&tid=103933&author=20 feet high]I am just trying to get this right, prior to the unlimited antleress tags MO hunter we not harvesting nearly the amount does needed to control the population. Now we have been hunting the deer for multiple years with the unlimited antlerless and the unrelenting gun pressure, but the herd still needs to be reduced, it is not where the numbers need to be? Reason might suggest that the herd would be at a reasonable level now or soon and we could possibly consider scaling back the gun days as opposed to adding them.

There are many smart folks on here, so please help explain.

Thanks [/rquote]

·
Registered
31,310 Posts
what is your hatred of gun season? your always adding something about the unrelenting gun pressure:blah::blah::blah:, people are selling land all over the place, buy some and have it your own bow only hunting place rather than pushing your "shorten gun season and lessen the amount of deer killed with guns so I can bow hunt more" agenda on everyone else who really doesnt care.:shrug:

·
Banned
1,048 Posts
[rquote=1487845&tid=103933&author=Jeremy]what is your hatred of gun season? your always adding something about the unrelenting gun pressure:blah::blah::blah:, people are selling land all over the place, buy some and have it your own bow only hunting place rather than pushing your "shorten gun season and lessen the amount of deer killed with guns so I can bow hunt more" agenda on everyone else who really doesnt care.:shrug:[/rquote]

I believe it is because outside of the southern states, MO has much more gun time that other states. We put out seasons back to back to back which causes non stop pressure. The bow season doesn't add much pressure. We could keep our rifle season, shorten doe to a 4 day weekend and keepa late season ML and stillhave desired results. People are gonna hunt when it's allowed. Our seasons are just set up where it makes hunting pretty difficult after the regular firearms.

·
Banned
1,048 Posts
Oh,and 20 feet has every right to hate the gun pressure. I do too:claphands:

·
Banned
81,616 Posts
The conservation departments only real responsibility to the deer herd is to keep it at a level high enough to maintain a breeding population. Everything else is just attempts to satisfy hunters. I would think the herd would have to be reduced enough to cause a pretty widespread outcry of disatisfied hunters before any major changes that would reduce hunting oppertunity would take place. The fact of the matter is that gun hunters out number bowhunters substantially and also make up the highest number of deer kills by far. As long as gun hunters produce the highest percentage of the needed harvests for manageing the deer herd I thiunk the seasons will stay close to what they are. I love bow hunting and prefer it to firearms season,,but have to admit that the way things are is only fair. I am tickled they moved the muzzleloader season back to december. But would rather see a 2 week long firearms season , rather than a second doe only season. I think hunter interest would be much higher if the possibility of killing a buck was there. I think alot of folks pack it up for the year and don't participate in the doe season. (.02)

:cheers::cheers:

·
Banned
1,048 Posts
[rquote=1487907&tid=103933&author=henry] The conservation departments only real responsibility to the deer herd is to keep it at a level high enough to maintain a breeding population. Everything else is just attempts to satisfy hunters. I would think the herd would have to be reduced enough to cause a pretty widespread outcry of disatisfied hunters before any major changes that would reduce hunting oppertunity would take place. The fact of the matter is that gun hunters out number bowhunters substantially and also make up the highest number of deer kills by far. As long as gun hunters produce the highest percentage of the needed harvests for manageing the deer herd I thiunk the seasons will stay close to what they are. I love bow hunting and prefer it to firearms season,,but have to admit that the way things are is only fair. I am tickled they moved the muzzleloader season back to december. But would rather see a 2 week long firearms season , rather than a second doe only season. I think hunter interest would be much higher if the possibility of killing a buck was there. I think alot of folks pack it up for the year and don't participate in the doe season. (.02)

:cheers::cheers:[/rquote]

I agree, the majority og the guys with the guns are not into as much as the bowhunters. Since they don't come back out anyway, why not ask the majorityto shoot does during a 4 day doe season., The guys who are gonna do it will anyway. Unless your in a low pressure area, you now bowhunting the second half is hard to say the least.

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
[rquote=1487898&tid=103933&author=Sidewinder]Oh,and 20 feet has every right to hate the gun pressure. I do too:claphands:[/rquote]

10-4. all the gun hunters that dont understand, look at IL. look at IA. then take back all the boxes of kleenexes you bought.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
I don't get the kleenex remark.
I agree that 20 has the right to hate anything he wants to, and speak loudly about it. However, on a public forum I'll reserve the right to speak my mind also. I was wondering what percentage of deer season would satisfy the bow-only guys, since 75%(as it is now) doesn't seem to be enough. I also bow hunt up until rifle season opens, and occasionally in late december/early january.[rquote=1487914&tid=103933&author=Lungbuster44][rquote=1487898&tid=103933&author=Sidewinder]Oh,and 20 feet has every right to hate the gun pressure. I do too:claphands:[/rquote]

10-4. all the gun hunters that dont understand, look at IL. look at IA. then take back all the boxes of kleenexes you bought. [/rquote]

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
[rquote=1487857&tid=103933&author=ryanlowe02]round # 6,456,392..... begin ......ding ding ding..........

:rof2:[/rquote]

You know who really loves all the bickering amongst hunters??? PETA and the rest of the anti's. If they can get the bow hunters hating the gun hunters and the duck hunters hating the deer hunters, ect. then banning hunting gets a whole H-E-double hockey sticks of a lot easier because all the hunters are busy fighting amongst themselves. :soapbox:

·
Banned
81,616 Posts
[rquote=1487913&tid=103933&author=Sidewinder] Unless your in a low pressure area, you now bowhunting the second half is hard to say the least.[/rquote]

If it gets cold enough long enough,,it is the best hunting of the year. These milder winters we have been having have been breaking my heart. If the temps hit the teens and single digits and stay there for awhile,,I can usually see good deer on some of the heaviest hunted public grounds around. If it stays warm during late season the hunting stinks,,,but I think it would even without the gun pressure because the deer are fatted up and aclimated for cold weather,,so warm temps normally means less deer movement.

:cheers::cheers:

·
Registered
3,004 Posts
Its hard to believe that some people would complain that there are too many opportunities for their fellow hunters to harvest deer. I think some of are grandfathers would be shocked, it wasn't that long ago that the sight of a deer was the talk of the town. We've come a long way!:cheers:

1 - 20 of 146 Posts