MN Bunny Crush

Discussion in 'Small Game' started by DoubleLiver, Jan 12, 2018.

1. DoubleLiver

DoubleLiver Gentry County, NE KS

Aug 20, 2015
    Dakota County, MN
    Sunday the 7th the temp was going to get to 28 in MN and at that temp in MN snow melts. So we went rabbit hunting. Had a good day.

Since I catch nice fish, but not giants, I have enclosed a picture showing how to make anything look giant.

2018-January (3).jpg 2018-January (6).jpg

Rainman, 20', tcwild and 7 others like this.
  2. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    Thats a fun day. Nice haul!

3. fishshooter

fishshooter Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Reform
    Holy Hoopers

That was a heck of a hunt and that rabbit must weigh 40 pounds :rofl::brownnose:

CRE10 likes this.
  4. callaojoe

callaojoe Máistir an pointe hocht.

Jan 21, 2004
    N/C Missouri
    Long arm'n a rabbit, that's just awesome! Nice haul! :tup:

DCSarchette likes this.
  5. Now I got a hankering for rabbit now.

6. Tarsal Gland

Tarsal Gland Active Member

Jan 17, 2010
    KC
    Nice did you guys have dogs?

7. henry

henry Fan Boy aka Mr Twisty and

If we ever rabbit hunt Minnesota we need to take fishy along to drag rabbits out for us.

8. Hawk

Hawk Well-Known Member Sponsor

Oct 15, 2009
    Love fried rabbit. How far do you have to go to get into the Jacks? Ive seen them in ND and WY, do they have them in MN?

WBF likes this.
  9. I use to have a lab that would run down rabbits and bring them back alive and squealing.

10. DoubleLiver

Aug 20, 2015
    Dakota County, MN
    We did not have a dog. That is not a jack (just a long arm photo). We push small sections of woods with two guys posting and two guys busting ass by jumping on brush piles, kicking junk piles, etc.

DCSarchette likes this.
  11. callaojoe

callaojoe Máistir an pointe hocht.

Jan 21, 2004
    N/C Missouri
    That's the way I grew up doing it, until we eventually got some dogs. :tup:

tcwild and DCSarchette like this.
  12. Mailman

Mailman Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Blue Springs Mo
    Reading this has me remembering my youth using my home made longbow and arrows jumping on my uncles brushpiles on his farm north of Holden Mo. Kilt a bunch back then. Wonder if the rabbit numbers are as good now as back then in Johnson County?

DCSarchette likes this.
  13. Gerald Garrou

Gerald Garrou Member

Dec 4, 2017
    Rabbit hunting was my favorite hunt of the year, when I was younger. Just like everything in Wi. Numbers are way down because all of the predators. Rabbit cacciatore with a red wine sauce was so good! Thanks for sharing.

14. fishshooter

fishshooter Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Reform
    That was a lot of brush busting, glad the blockers did there job. :clap:

15. Ridealong

Ridealong Active Member

Feb 20, 2010
    Smithville
    I just like them fried or grilled. But I always looked forward to going bunny hunting. I can still find some but not like I used to

16. DoubleLiver

Aug 20, 2015
    Dakota County, MN
    So we pushed about 10 different small groves. The first woods we got 5 rabbits. The rest of the day was 4 or 3 or 1 or 4 or 0 until we were at 23. Dog ass tired, cold, 4:30 but we said lets hit one more. All day the posters were getting most of the shooting. Last woods my buddy and I are driving. I dump one before getting into the woods, my buddy fires nine shots before getting into the woods. He is down to 7 shells before we enter the woods. I loaded him up and everyone had shooting. 15 in the last woods it was nuts.

DCSarchette and Bootheel Boy like this.
  17. beardsNspurs78

beardsNspurs78 Well-Known Member

May 24, 2008
    Philly, MO
    Thats how we still do it too. Hollering back and forth to each other.....trying to kick one out of a brush pile and still bein surprised when one runs out. Darn lot of fun.

DCSarchette likes this.
  18. Bootheel Boy

Bootheel Boy Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2012
    SEMO
    Haven’t been rabbit hunting in years since I got into bowhunting. Thanks for sharing the photos. Rabbit hunting brings back some great memories.

DCSarchette likes this.
  19. DCSarchette

DCSarchette Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2016
    Bland, Mo.
    Brings back great memories. I need to quit pressing my hip pockets in this chair and go do that. Thanks for the memories, and motivation

WBF likes this.
  20. oneshot 1

oneshot 1 Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2003
    Ozarks
    Here we just don't have the Rabbits but North of here I killed plenty. Had couple Dogs and Loved it.

Back when I was a Kid there was more Rabbits and Quail around here.

One time I sat along a ditch with bunch of Groundhog Holes. killed limit of rabbits with .22.

Nice haul of Rabbits, hope you don't do like a guy I took one time he just kept the Back Legs :mad2:

oneshot

:D The Big Grin could be a Rabbit Dog if it didn't involve Guns.