Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 168 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Missourians won\'t pay more to hunt and fish

http://www.kmov.com/topstories/stories/kmov-stlouis-news-081219-hunt-fish-permits.7c087b70.html

Missourians won't pay more to hunt and fish

07:45 PM CST on Friday, December 19, 2008

JEFFERSON CITY, Mo. (AP) -- Bombarded with sometimes angry comments from Missouri hunters, anglers and landowners, the state Conservation Commission voted Friday to pull a plan charging more for hunting and fishing permits and requiring more land to qualify for free permits.

The Conservation Department proposed the higher permit prices in September, which was about the time that the national economy's woes grew more pronounced. Director John Hoskins said Friday that the recession needed to be accounted for in deciding whether to push for the higher prices.

"In this unprecedented of times in the state and national economy, it is not the time to suggest an increase," he said.

The proposed permit fee increases would have affected both Missourians and nonresidents and would have varied for each type of license. But after Friday's vote, the price hikes will go only toward nonresidents, effective July 1.

For example, nonresidents are to pay $225 for a deer license -- an extra $50 -- while residents will still pay $17. Missourians will continue paying $12 for fishing licenses while nonresidents will see a $2 increase to $42.

The proposed free permit provisions for landowners would have started requiring those hunting on their own property to pay for deer and turkey hunting permits if they own less than 80 acres. Currently, those who own at least five acres of land and the people who lease the property while living on it are entitled to the free permits.

The higher permit fees were designed more to shore up future funding needs than address immediate concerns, Hoskins said, and the department doesn't expect to make any immediate changes because the proposed increases were scrapped.

The 80-acre proposal drew the ire of landowners and even some state lawmakers, who questioned its wisdom and rationale. Sen. Matt Bartle, in a weekly column posted Thursday, accused the Conservation Department of "overreaching" and urged the commission to reconsider.

"Allowing landowners to harvest a few of the deer that roam their property, without having to buy a permit, is only fitting considering the loss of crops and other damage they incur throughout the year," wrote Bartle, R-Lee's Summit.

Part of the reason for the higher fees was to help the department with its financial needs. Much of the Conservation Department's revenue comes from a dedicated 1/8-cent sales tax and from selling hunting and fishing permits. But Hoskins said neither has been covering the cost for inflation over the past several years.

At the same meeting where the commission rejected the permit changes, board members were given a financial report indicating that revenue this year from the dedicated sales tax is down nearly 5 percent from the same period last year. The department's spending, meanwhile, has increased by more than 5 percent.

The Conservation Department received nearly 17,000 comments from 10,132 people during a 30-day public comment period that ran from Nov. 17 through Dec. 16. Commission members said the outcry was one of the reasons they decided to back off.

"We value the input that the people make, and the people are certainly not shy," said commissioner Don Johnson, of St. Louis.

The Conservation Department intends to continue studying the most controversial elements and to work through possible alternatives with those who would be affected.

Besides rejecting the new permit fees, commissioners kept other elements, such as requiring holders of deer and turkey permits be at least 6 years old.

Conservation Department staff also recommended Friday that the same turkey hunting regulations be kept for the fall and spring seasons.

----

On the Net:

Conservation Department: http://www.mdc.mo.gov

(Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
"We value the input that the people make, and the people are certainly not shy,"
Well I guess so.

·
Banned
1,048 Posts
Even the prices of the possible increases were still low. I think it shows a lot of people are just cry babies. It is the sport we love. Paying a few bucks to help maintain it and other parts of the outdoors is no big deal. Some people just need to buck up and quit whining.

Just my $.02 worth.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
I think the big deal was the 80 acre proposal.

·
Registered
31,310 Posts
yeah, the "entitlement" problem..i have X, so i should be given Y for free:blah::blah::blah:

·
Banned
1,048 Posts
I live on 13.5 acres and would have affected me too. But oh well. Just owning land shouldn't give me any more entitlements than any one else. If that was the case, why 5 acres. I know several areas where people live on 2-3 acre lots and could kill deer on it. Why not lower it to an acre. If I have 70 acres, I think I could afford $20 - $50 dollars worth of tags over the year. Heck, I've spent over $130 this year. No big deal. I like to hunt and will continue to do so here in MO. If the prices or rules get ridiculuos, then we should start complaining.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I agree i don' t think they should of lowered it back to 5 acres. If people thought deer numbers / sightings were down now just imagine what its gonna be like with all them tags floating around.

·
Registered
31,310 Posts
personaly, i think they should eliminate them altogether, and do recipricol non resident tag prices. problems solved.

·
Banned
1,048 Posts
Were not talking NR prices. But reciprocal tag prices wouldn't help anyway. The bulk of our NRs are not Iowa, Illinois and KS. They are MI, AR, NC, WV and lots of other southern states where NR tags are cheap anyway. We are getting a huge influx over last few years due to our nieghbor here in the midwest being so high. We just need to do something to slow the NR growth in my opinion.

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
Seems like enough landowners disagree with Sidewinder and Jermey...they weren't whining, just spoke their mind like MDC asked for...

seems to me others are whinning now...

·
Banned
1,048 Posts
Calling MDC to argue of $5 to $20 a year is complete whining. I don't have a lot of money but I'll pay the tag prices to allow MDC to keep hunting great here for me in MO. That's just my whining for ya Dan.

People will always whine when a little more money might come out of there pockets. Doesn't mean they are right about whining, Thet're basing their whining on emotion rather logic.

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
When was the last time you saw the MDC cave in to what the public wanted???

The MDC has held themselves above everything else, it's time they get a dose of reality...

"Still, agency officials said the outcome resulted in some negatives. By leaving things as they are, it will result in reduced funding, Erickson said.

The year “2010 will be the third successive year when our two major sources of income — the sales tax and permit sales — will decline,†he said. “Like everyone else, we’ll have to tighten our belt.

“There undoubtedly will be some changes in programs. There will have to be.â€

Why shouldn't they tighten their belts like everyone else??? Why should they get free reign while forcing us to tighten our belts even more???

·
Banned
1,048 Posts
$5 more on a deer tag or raising landowner to 80 acres won't even make up for their added expenses over the last 2-3 year just in fuel cost. Times are bad but not bad enough for people to complain over minor increases that were implemented. If those amounts are gonna break ya, I got news for ya, better head to the homeless shelters now!

MDC is a very fiscally responsible organization and has always been. aour tag prices are still extremely low compared to other states for res and non res. because of their thrifty spending habits.

I guess 1 less extra value meal at Mickey Ds would kill some people!!!!

·
Banned
1,048 Posts
From what I gather from other threads DanF, you have a pretty deep resentment for the MDC and have some problems in the past where might come out on the wrong end.

·
Banned
1,048 Posts
Your right on the money JustBob.

No more time for petty $20 arguments. Time to fill one of my remaining landowner archery anterless tags on my 13.5 acres. Would still be going even if I had to pay the whopping $7 for a regular anterless tag!!!!!:dancin:

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Originally posted by Sidewinder

No more time for petty $20 arguments. Time to fill one of my remaining landowner archery anterless tags on my 13.5 acres. Would still be going even if I had to pay the whopping $7 for a regular anterless tag!!!!!:dancin:
Me too, except I don't own land & paid the $7, wish us luck:cheers:

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Originally posted by Mojorisin
Originally posted by Sidewinder

Me too, except I don't own land & paid the $7, wish us luck:cheers:
Maybe pics to follow..... I hope.

1 - 20 of 168 Posts