Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Missouri now ranks 4th from the bottom of 30 states on Wild Turkey Population trends.
Kentucky Game and Fish just put this out in September 2021.
Rectangle Slope Font Parallel Plot

·
Registered
872 Posts
Nebraska had that chart posted a couple months ago. Does show how bad the production is in Missouri compared to other states. Bad production definitely has led to lower population!

·
Registered
7,768 Posts
Looks like we have a good hatch this year.

Reactions: SMP Mortgage

·
Vendor
576 Posts
Nebraska had that chart posted a couple months ago. Does show how bad the production is in Missouri compared to other states. Bad production definitely has led to lower population!
Most of those pph ratios arent calculated in the same way so they arent really comparable. PA for example has seen the same decline as MO, yet they look much better here due to a different formula.

·
Registered
22,586 Posts
It’s deer season ladies! Besides, we were all educated the past two years that liberalizing the season is the very bestest more prudent and logical thing to do when populations are dismal and projected to worsen!! We have the best DNR in the world🤷‍♀️

·
Registered
69,704 Posts
Looks like we have a good hatch this year.
There is no evidence this has happened at my place....again. I just went through 12,000 pics from my game cameras and not one poult was seen in 3 months.

·
Under appreciated
89,279 Posts
We need a decoder when other states are relevant and when other states arent.
I guess when it supports a particular argument or not??

Reactions: SMPtrucking

·
Registered
7,768 Posts
There is no evidence this has happened at my place....again. I just went through 12,000 pics from my game cameras and not one poult was seen in 3 months.
Well you have terrible brood habitat.... so that makes sense.

Reactions: SMP Mortgage

·
Under appreciated
89,279 Posts
Well you have terrible brood habitat.... so that makes sense.
I would agree that not seeing turkeys or poults on the regular for years and years, that it is habitat driven.

What I am baffled by is when habitat doesnt change dramatically during the course of 3 or 4 years and turkey numbers drop by 2/3rd or so. Not saying its predators per se but it sure isnt only habitat, not to change that suddenly

Reactions: SMPtrucking

·
Registered
7,768 Posts
I would agree that not seeing turkeys or poults on the regular for years and years, that it is habitat driven.

What I am baffled by is when habitat doesnt change dramatically during the course of 3 or 4 years and turkey numbers drop by 2/3rd or so. Not saying its predators per se but it sure isnt only habitat, not to change that suddenly
I’m guessing weather. I wouldn’t completely rule out a change in predator prey dynamics or disease.
What I don’t know with habitat is if there is a breaking point with habitat. Maybe it’s getting a little worse every year, little by little, and it then reaches a point of no hope?

·
Vendor
576 Posts
We need a decoder when other states are relevant and when other states arent.
I guess when it supports a particular argument or not??
Thats a good point. The data presented here is relevant, just presented poorly. It would be better if it showed a 10 or 20 years history so that we could see that although Pennsylvania is now at 3 phr and that seems to be way above MO, that they used to be at 6. Missouri used to be at 2.5 and is now at 1.25. The trend and declines are almost identical.

·
Vendor
576 Posts

So basically, in marginal or subpar habitat excellent weather can make that area productive. Poor weather can make it a complete wash out. Excellent habitat insulates production from those wild swings from good to non existent and keeps the booms and busts leveled out.

·
Registered
19,185 Posts
Putting in a strip of turnips every fall hasn’t increased your turkey population? HaRrUmPh......!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts