Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
18,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
MISSOURI HUNTING OUTFITTER FACES FELONY WILDLIFE CHARGES

A Ste. Genevieve, Missouri hunting outfitter operating in Colorado has been charged with numerous wildlife violations.

The case began in 2003 when officers and investigators with the Wyoming Game and Fish Department notified the Colorado Division of Wildlife (CDOW) and the Missouri Department of Conservation (MDC) that alleged unlawful hunting and outfitting activities were being committed by Missouri residents operating in Colorado. CDOW and MDC investigators collaborated to begin a joint investigation into the allegations.

While the investigation is continuing, three Missouri men face felony charges in Colorado resulting from the three-year law enforcement collaboration:

Gregory J. Jaegers, 40, Renegade Guide Service, Ste. Genevieve, MO
Eight felony and 14 misdemeanor counts, including felony charges of illegal sale of wildlife and felony willful destruction of wildlife

Richard W. Schroeder, 45, Festus, MO
Two felony and six misdemeanor counts, including felony willful destruction of wildlife

Keith C. Schweiss, 47, Bloomsdale, MO
Two felony and 3 misdemeanor counts, including felony willful destruction of wildlife

"The further we examined the activities of these individuals, the larger the case became," said Dan Miller, lead investigator on the case for the CDOW.

In October 2005, a search warrant was served in eastern Missouri and interviews were conducted with several suspects. The investigative work uncovered years of alleged wildlife violations in Colorado. Hunters from Colorado, Missouri, Louisiana, and Texas were identified in connection with the suspected violations.

Subsequently, four hunting clients of Jaegers where charged with wildlife violations to which they plead guilty and paid fines and penalties in excess of $5,000.

"The investigation continues and CDOW expects that additional defendants will be charged before the investigation ends," said Miller.

On Mar. 9, the Missouri defendants were indicted by the 9th Judicial District Court in Garfield County, Colorado.

The suspects are scheduled to appear for advisement of rights and a bond hearing in Garfield County District Court on Wednesday, Mar. 22.

"This case shows what can happen when investigators work together, across state lines, to make sure that wildlife is protected," said Rob Firth, chief of law enforcement for the CDOW. "We appreciate Missouri's cooperation and look forward to continuing to work with them as this investigation moves forward."

·
19,584 Posts
Originally posted by hunter7x
MISSOURI HUNTING OUTFITTER FACES FELONY WILDLIFE CHARGES

A Ste. Genevieve, Missouri hunting outfitter operating in Colorado has been charged with numerous wildlife violations.
Thanks for giving Missouri hunters a black-eye, ya' jerk... :bangin:

·
Registered
3,647 Posts

Two felony and six misdemeanor counts, including felony willful destruction of wildlife
OH CRAP hunter7x. I know that dude, in fact, used to be really good friends wiff him. Haven't talked to him in ten years. I guess it would sound kinda repetitive if I said he was a really good guy and.......well, you know the rest.

Dammitt :bangin: Maybe DSG needs to watch who he hangs wiff a little more. :bangin:

Kinda makes you wonder; "what the HAIL are these people thinking?" :bangin:

·
PURE KILLER
38,024 Posts
wouldn't want to be in their shoes:whip:

·
Registered
18,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Originally posted by DShootnstGentemn

OH CRAP hunter7x. I know that dude, in fact, used to be really good friends wiff him. Haven't talked to him in ten years. I guess it would sound kinda repetitive if I said he was a really good guy and.......well, you know the rest.

Dammitt :bangin: Maybe DSG needs to watch who he hangs wiff a little more. :bangin:

Kinda makes you wonder; "what the HAIL are these people thinking?" :bangin:
Oh No Dejavu all over again ! lol

·
Registered
754 Posts
I know there are services that can help people book hunting and fishing trips in other places, but if I wanted to hunt in Colorado, I don't think I'd be talking with an outfitter service from St. Genevieve Missouri.

·
Registered
8,319 Posts
Originally posted by Mark Twain
I know there are services that can help people book hunting and fishing trips in other places, but if I wanted to hunt in Colorado, I don't think I'd be talking with an outfitter service from St. Genevieve Missouri.
I am thinking the same thing... :stickfight:

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
47,217 Posts
Here's more on that story.
Missouri trio racks up felony charges

Men accused of running an illegal hunting operation in county

Bobby Magill
Post Independent Staff
March 21, 2006

Gregory Jerome Jaegers, 40, of Genevieve, Mo., and two alleged accomplices face multiple felonies after being charged with running an illegal hunting operation in Garfield County.

Jaegers faces 22 felony and misdemeanor counts for allegedly operating an outfitter service without a license, illegally selling wildlife and illegally killing wildlife without a license.

Richard W. Schroeder, 45, of Festus, Mo., and Keith C. Schweiss, 47, of Bloomsdale, Mo., are facing fewer counts, including two felony charges for willful destruction of wildlife.

The trio will appear in District Court in Glenwood Springs on Wednesday for a bond hearing.

Jaegers allegedly admitted to the Colorado Division of Wildlife that he operated his Renegade Guide Service - based in Missouri - north of Parachute without a license for nearly a decade before being licensed in 2005, according to an affidavit filed in district court.

Jaegers allegedly told undercover CDOW and Missouri Department of Conservation agents during a hunt last year that he was going to advertise his guiding service more frequently and would need to "get legal."

His hunting guides were supposed to have first aid certification to work for him legally, but they were "moonlighting" off of Jaegers' certification, according to court documents.

Jaegers also admitted to a slate of other violations, including:

• Killing a black bear and having someone else tag it

• Illegally baiting a bear that was killed by another hunter

• Illegally killing another bear that had been trespassing into a hunting cabin

• Illegally killing a mule deer with a scoped muzzleloader and having Schroeder tag it

• Illegally allowing Schroeder to kill a mule deer buck with a rifle and then tagging it with Jaegers' muzzleloader license

• Illegally being present when Schweiss allegedly killed a mountain lion with a scoped muzzleloader and instructing Schweiss to abandon the carcass

• Instructing another man to abandon the carcass of a cow elk that the man allegedly illegally shot with a scoped muzzleloader.

Schweiss allegedly admitted to killing the mountain lion with a scoped muzzleloader and abandoning the carcass, paying Jaegers, who did not have a guiding license, up to $2,000 each year for hunts in Colorado for six years between 1996 and 2004, and acting as a hunting guide for Jaegers in 2005.

Schroeder allegedly admitted to several violations, including serving as a hunting guide for Jaegers in 2004 and illegally killing and abandoning a black bear. As of Monday, no charges for Schroeder had been filed in District Court.

Schweiss, who said he works for the maintenance department at the Genevieve, Mo., school district, said Monday he has no comment on the charges. Calls to Jaegers did not go through because of phone network problems, and Schroeder did not return a call seeking comment.

In a press release, CDOW's lead investigator said the further the department investigated Jaegers, Schroeder and Schweiss, the larger the case became.

Four of Jaegers' hunting clients were also charged with wildlife violations, to which they pleaded guilty and paid fines over $5,000.

Miller said he expects others will be charged in the case.

·
Under appreciated
91,780 Posts
gawd.... I'm speechless on this deal.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.