Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
And still, they have yet to produce the first Missouri deer that has died from the disease.

Just an observation.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
And still, they have yet to produce the first Missouri deer that has died from the disease.

Just an observation.
CWD is fatal to all deer that contract it, though the compromised immune systems of its victims may allow other infections to actually kill them. Or, the holes in their brains may allow predators to catch them easily, since the deer lose their fear or ability to recognize danger. According to necropsy results, the Mississippi buck died of pneumonia, but make no mistake: CWD killed it. To say otherwise is to argue John Wilkes Booth was an innocent bystander because the bullet killed Abraham Lincoln.

https://www.qdma.com/yes-cwd-kills-deer-a-mississippi-hunter-watched-it-happen/

rather like Alzheimer's as well, in many cases something else kills them, like pneumonia and or things, but's it's the Alzheimer's that killed them...

Re-Evidence for human transmission of amyloid-β pathology and cerebral amyloid angiopathy

>>> The only tenable public line will be that "more research is required'' <<<

>>> possibility on a transmissible prion remains open<<<

O.K., so it's about 23 years later, so somebody please tell me, when is "more research is required'' enough time for evaluation ?

Re-Evidence for human transmission of amyloid-β pathology and cerebral amyloid angiopathy

Nature 525, 247?250 (10 September 2015) doi:10.1038/nature15369 Received 26 April 2015 Accepted 14 August 2015 Published online 09 September 2015 Updated online 11 September 2015 Erratum (October, 2015)

snip...see full Singeltary Nature comment here;

Alzheimer's disease

let's not forget the elephant in the room. curing Alzheimer's would be a great and wonderful thing, but for starters, why not start with the obvious, lets prove the cause or causes, and then start to stop that. think iatrogenic, friendly fire, or the pass it forward mode of transmission. think medical, surgical, dental, tissue, blood, related transmission. think transmissible spongiform encephalopathy aka tse prion disease aka mad cow type disease...

Commentary: Evidence for human transmission of amyloid-β pathology and cerebral amyloid angiopathy

http://journals.plos.org/plosone/ar...notation/933cc83a-a384-45c3-b3b2-336882c30f9d

http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article/comments?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0111492

http://journals.plos.org/plosone/ar...notation/933cc83a-a384-45c3-b3b2-336882c30f9d

https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fnagi.2016.00005/full

Self-Propagative Replication of Ab Oligomers Suggests Potential Transmissibility in Alzheimer Disease

*** Singeltary comment PLoS ***

Alzheimer's disease and Transmissible Spongiform Encephalopathy prion disease, Iatrogenic, what if ?

Posted by flounder on 05 Nov 2014 at 21:27 GMT

http://www.plosone.org/annotation/listThread.action?root=82860

IN CONFIDENCE

5 NOVEMBER 1992

TRANSMISSION OF ALZHEIMER TYPE PLAQUES TO PRIMATES
[9. Whilst this matter is not at the moment directly concerned with the iatrogenic CJD cases from hgH, there remains a possibility of litigation here, and this presents an added complication.
There are also results to be made available shortly
(1) concerning a farmer with CJD who had BSE animals,
(2) on the possible transmissibility of Alzheimer's and
(3) a CMO letter on prevention of iatrogenic CJD transmission in neurosurgery, all of which will serve to increase media interest.]
https://web.archive.org/web/2017012...einquiry.gov.uk/files/yb/1992/11/04001001.pdf

https://web.archive.org/web/2004031...einquiry.gov.uk/files/yb/1992/12/16005001.pdf

https://web.archive.org/web/20040315075058/www.bseinquiry.gov.uk/files/yb/1992/12/16005001.pdf

just saying...

kind regards, terry

·
Biology nit wit exposer
81,122 Posts
That "they haven't documented a deer dying of cwd" argument has got to be the dumbest argument to date.

·
1,212 Posts
So 33 positive CWD deer out of almost 25000 deer? Should that ration as a good estimate to how many deer in Missouri actually have that disease? That would make it roughly 1600 deer in Missouri with CWD. The 24500 is only a 2% sampling of the deer population in Missouri. I like collecting data on the disease but not sure the disease is anything to worry about at the moment or at all. Keep a eye on it but not a whole lot we can do either beside wipe em all out.

·
Registered
32,178 Posts
I heard one of the infected came from the property the borders my brother's. 1

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
That "they haven't documented a deer dying of cwd" argument has got to be the dumbest argument to date.
Yeah, sure, and you would still be arguing the world is flat if this were the 15th century. Maybe you still do, your thought process is that archaic.

·
Biology nit wit exposer
81,122 Posts
Just curious. Have they documented one yet?
Just as many as they have of deer dying of old age. How many people besides Lazarus do you think are running around incenuating that deer don't die of old age ?

·
Registered
18,867 Posts
I think Terry covered it. Liken it to the AIDS virus. The majority of individuals stricken with HIV virus that progresses to AIDS usually perish due to pneumonia or some other secondary illness. Etiology is CWD.

·
Biology nit wit exposer
81,122 Posts
I think Terry covered it. Liken it to the AIDS virus. The majority of individuals stricken with HIV virus that progresses to AIDS usually perish due to pneumonia or some other secondary illness. Etiology is CWD.
Exactly. It's like saying "the train wreck didn't kill him the blood loss did". :rolleyes:

Or the old favorite. It wasn't the fall it was the sudden stop. :D

Reactions: WBF

·
Under appreciated
88,056 Posts
I dont think anyone is disputing that CWD is always fatal if allowed to progress, unless there are people who simply dont understand the disease.
The reason I’m not a fan is that I dont want to eat CWD infected venison. The CDC recommends that you dont. There is some remote evidence that humans can contract it from eating infected venison, which is the basis for the CDC recommendation.
To me, this isnt any different than the mad cow scare we had years ago. That was solved because it manifested itself in a wholly captive and domesticated species that we could manage and control. Something like this in a free-ranging wild resource is not easily or even possibly 100% controlled. All you can do is limit the spread to the degree possible by some techniques that have proven effective in other states such as culling.
The culling that the MDC is doing isn’t being done willy-nilly. The scientific method is being applied and we are learning valuable things that can help in the future fight against CWD. To me, I’d rather (as a science-based organization) that the MDC do what they can to stem the tide, limit the spread AND collect valuable data. It’s not going to meet with everyone’s approval obviously, but there are upsides that sometimes get overlooked... especially when you look at it from the most simple viewpoint only, which is the old “they are killing all the deer before they die” attitude.

·
Registered
22,019 Posts
And these infected deer perish to bullets

·
Vendor
64,802 Posts
I dont think anyone is disputing that CWD is always fatal if allowed to progress, unless there are people who simply dont understand the disease.
The reason I'm not a fan is that I dont want to eat CWD infected venison. The CDC recommends that you dont. There is some remote evidence that humans can contract it from eating infected venison, which is the basis for the CDC recommendation.
To me, this isnt any different than the mad cow scare we had years ago. That was solved because it manifested itself in a wholly captive and domesticated species that we could manage and control. Something like this in a free-ranging wild resource is not easily or even possibly 100% controlled. All you can do is limit the spread to the degree possible by some techniques that have proven effective in other states such as culling.
The culling that the MDC is doing isn't being done willy-nilly. The scientific method is being applied and we are learning valuable things that can help in the future fight against CWD. To me, I'd rather (as a SOMETIMES science-based organization) that the MDC do what they can to stem the tide, limit the spread AND collect valuable data. It's not going to meet with everyone's approval obviously, but there are upsides that sometimes get overlooked... especially when you look at it from the most simple viewpoint only, which is the old "they are killing all the deer before they die" attitude.
Fixed it for you....:tup::tup:

·
Under appreciated
88,056 Posts
I will agree that the MDC is not always a science-based organization but the part that is, I would rather the approach to CWD be science-based. And my point is that the scientific method IS being applied, even though folks sometimes cant recognize it as such.

We can all agree that we would rather not have CWD here I think. We can all probably agree also that the chance of contracting something from eating infected venison is remote. But it isnt impossible...

·
1,584 Posts
Is he south of 44 ? I'm trying to figure out where the 1 new one from culling efforts in SW Franklin came from . The map on the MDC website shows the block area with the interstate thru the middle . I live on the road north of the interstate .
I heard one of the infected came from the property the borders my brother's. 1

·
Registered
32,178 Posts
Yes, it was on the south side.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts