Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
221 Posts
If I understand the proposed change right, you either have to process the deer yourself on the spot, or take it to a permitted processor, right?

Problems I personally have with that is,

1. I like to get my deer tested. I most likely can’t get it tested if I harvest it outside of opening weekend, if I can’t legally take out parts of it I need for testing, out of the county of harvest.

2.If I suspect my deer to have been healthy before harvest, and I can’t process it on the spot, why would I want to take it to a processor, when the prion is real difficult to disinfect from knives and the like. If anyone brings an infected deer in before me, I just upped my chances of eating cwd tainted meat a lot more than I’d like.

3. Im already not efficient/quick at processing the deer, and that’s someplace with good lighting, a solid place to hang up the deer, keep it relatively clean and the like. Having to do it on the spot, without help, and such just seems like a logistical nightmare, for people that can’t invest a ton for a truck winch and all that other good stuff, like me.

If they’d figure out reasonable solutions to those kind of problems I’d be all ears but as it is I think it’s poorly thought out, as far as making it affordable in money and time for public land hunters, to keep to those regulations.

· Banned
81,617 Posts
If you hunt in a containment county you should have options to get deer tested in the county.

· Registered
221 Posts
If you hunt in a containment county you should have options to get deer tested in the county.
You mean that's the case already? Cause I feel like I asked about this and what I was told is go to a regional conservation office (Busch in my case) if I want one tested that I harvested outside of opening weekend. So each time I harvested one whether it was out of Pea Ridge or Weldon CA's I had to call up there and take it there on a day they'd be available. The last one I got at Weldon, which is less than 10 minute drive from Busch, I couldn't even just take straight there the same day cause they had no one available to test it that day. I had to go back home then drive back up another day just to get it tested. I got the deer out kind of late cause it was in rough terrain but still, I had it on the truck by about 5-5:30 pm 2nd weekend of rifle season (during a managed hunt nonetheless) and I couldn't just drive 10 minutes down the road to get ut tested the same day.

· Registered
221 Posts
Wonder if that was the case before this year. I feel like before, if you harvested one outside of opening weekend you’d have to take it to the regional office if you were not getting it processed or taxidermied by someone. If you were you could go to participating processors and the like but if you were doing it yourself I didn’t think they’d sample it for you (again I’m talking outside of opening weekend). I might be wrong but that’s the impression I had.

· Banned
81,617 Posts
I should also say that these participants get paid $15 by the Mdc for taking a sample

· Banned
7,215 Posts
If I understand the proposed change right, you either have to process the deer yourself on the spot, or take it to a permitted processor, right?

Problems I personally have with that is,

1. I like to get my deer tested. I most likely can't get it tested if I harvest it outside of opening weekend, if I can't legally take out parts of it I need for testing, out of the county of harvest.

2.If I suspect my deer to have been healthy before harvest, and I can't process it on the spot, why would I want to take it to a processor, when the prion is real difficult to disinfect from knives and the like. If anyone brings an infected deer in before me, I just upped my chances of eating cwd tainted meat a lot more than I'd like.

3. Im already not efficient/quick at processing the deer, and that's someplace with good lighting, a solid place to hang up the deer, keep it relatively clean and the like. Having to do it on the spot, without help, and such just seems like a logistical nightmare, for people that can't invest a ton for a truck winch and all that other good stuff, like me.

If they'd figure out reasonable solutions to those kind of problems I'd be all ears but as it is I think it's poorly thought out, as far as making it affordable in money and time for public land hunters, to keep to those regulations.
It doesn't say anything about "on the spot". It says you can't take bones out of a containment county. They should set up butchering stations with tables, lights, gambrel, and winch along with an approved receptacle for bones, in each containment county. Kill a deer, head to the station and bone it out if you need the equipment, and head home. But in all honesty, all they are asking of Mo sportsman is to be as proficient as every Western hunter is. Learning to bone out a little whitetail should be part of learning to hunt, just like cleaning a fish is part of fishing. What kinda sissyman pays another man to handle his meat??!!

· Registered
6,911 Posts
No explanation of how cwd jumps 60 miles. Might help to look at this years rainfall, the floods . So prions bond to soil. Have you ever heard of erosion.
The only thing that will defeat cwd is for mdc to do the constitutionally mandated scientific inquiry we are all paying for.

· Banned
81,617 Posts
I believe this whole proposal is to reduce the risk of some of the possible sources of the new areas .

· Registered
6,911 Posts
I believe this whole proposal is to reduce the risk of some of the possible sources of the new areas .
SO I HAVE A FARM IN knox county that has had no positives but i can not bring a harvested deer into Adair county which has many positives unless it is going to a taxidermist or a approved meet processor. But i will not feed a deer to my family unless it is tested and the test is negative. A small problem is that said deer would need to be brought to the headquarters to get testing done in a orderly manner.
Say ONE KILLS A BUCK ON SEPTEMBER 15TH and has a taxidermist pull the gland to be tested because even thou the deer is being given to share the harvest one does not want to see anyone consume a deer without at least that test done.What good is that test going to be if the sample to be picked up is not picked up until after Jan the 15th.
What i would like to see instead of a doubling down on stupid and pissing off everyone waiting to see mdc be heroes is for mdc to do the science promised in the contract design for conservation. iN STEAD OF CONSTANT BULL **** WORRYING ABOUT WHAT IF , AND SUCH WE NEED A SOLUTION BASED PLAN GETTING REAL ANSWERS AND MAKING SURE REAL SCIENCE IS BEING PURSUED AND THE FRAUD OF EVERYTHING PRION IS ON IGNORE.

· Banned
81,617 Posts
I dont think this will keep you from moving a deer from a non management county into a management county ,, only the reverse .

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.