Missouri Beef Referendum

Discussion in 'Missouri Outdoor News' started by WBF, Mar 1, 2016.

1. bluecan

bluecan Long time listener, first time caller

It should cost a little something, after all, everybody is dying to get in there!

2. WBF

WBF Wolf Brook Farms

Oct 25, 2013

3. henry

henry Fan Boy aka Mr Twisty and

I was under the impression that the original $1 beef check off went to the beef industry to promote the beef market. Is this additional dollar going elsewhere ?

4. cy912

cy912 Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2011
    This REALLY gets me p**ssed off. When will it end?. They are driving us cattle farmers out of business by nickel and diming us for every little thing. I already pay my taxes on every cattle I sell when I do taxes, and now they want an extra $1 for every single cattle. Get out of here!

5. WBF

WBF Wolf Brook Farms

Oct 25, 2013
    Tomorrow is the deadline to get registered to recieve a ballot for the referendum vote.

6. likinmo

likinmo Senior Member

Dec 5, 2004
    texas co
    they use this money not only to promote USA cattle but foreign beef as well...think about that also if a foreign beef provider has a business partner in mo he has a vote on this as well. Its flat out taxation without representation...U can get a refund on this tax but it sits in the coffers until u file for a refund and at that time you have to disclose ALOT more info...so they make money off your interest and not you

7. WBF

WBF Wolf Brook Farms

Oct 25, 2013
    Something I learned concerning foreign beef: Beef that hits our shores that is still alive only has to be in the states for 7 days. After those 7 days the beef can be marked as a product of the U.S.A.

8. OutbackBio

OutbackBio Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2009
    Kansas City
    Probably going to mda to manage deer:what:

9. sharps4590

sharps4590 Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2010
    Northern Ozarks
    "In general, the ART of government is to take as much money as possible from one class of citizens and give it to another class of citizens". Voltaire....in the 1760's. It will never change but the politicians of today have taken the ART to a new low.....

If I were to offer my honest opinion on our govenrments, state and federal, jack booted thugs of Obama or Nixon or a petty bureaucrat from some state or federal agency would probably be knocking on my door....and I suspect that holds true for most of us.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2016
  10. WBF

WBF Wolf Brook Farms

Oct 25, 2013
    The Beef Referendum Was Deafeated By A Landslide. A member from the cattle assoc. was giving a radio interview that my Dad caught. Apparently the no voters are uneducated and have no idea that a NO vote will be detrimental to their herd/business.

I want to thank everyone here that took the time to vote and get the word out. I have a feeling that we will see this "referendum" in the near future. There was talk of possibly trying to push it through against the voters wishes. Guess we will wait and see!

11. flatlander_

flatlander_ Really? Show me. .

Thanks for the update, I hadn't heard how it went and had been wondering. Several of us in my neighborhood had voted against it.

Sounds like we will have to stay vigilante on the issue though.

12. WBF

WBF Wolf Brook Farms

Oct 25, 2013
    Absolutely... The rep from the beef council was hinting that there might be an "end around" by the council. I'll be sure to keep everyone updated on MWT if I here any info one way or the other. Thank You for your vote and getting the information out to your neighbors. Greatly Appreciated!!:eek::

13. cy912

cy912 Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2011
    That's GREAT news!!!

Detrimental to our business??? Really? And just how long have we been farming without it? :boohoo::boohoo::boohoo:

14. WBF

WBF Wolf Brook Farms

Oct 25, 2013
    Director of Agriculture Richard Fordyce announced that the state will not establish a new beef checkoff. This announcement comes after the director approved a petition to conduct a referendum of Missouri cattle producers, at the request of the Missouri Beef Industry Council and pursuant to section 275.352 RSMo as amended, to establish a $1.00 per head state beef checkoff assessment on Dec. 23, 2015.

On April 4, 2016, ballots were mailed to the 8,480 Missouri beef producers who registered during the registration period. Of those, 6,568 valid ballots were returned to the Missouri Department of Agriculture postmarked no later than April 15. 1,663 producers (25.33%) voted for the checkoff and 4,903 producers (74.67%) voted against it.

Department staff counted the ballots and Williams Keepers, LLC, a CPA firm, reviewed the tabulation of ballots for third party verification.

Cattle producers were required to register in order to vote and were able to do so online or by visiting their county USDA-FSA office.

Strong Work Cattle Producers!!!!!!!!!

15. Sports cars for their kids, college, country club memberships, Nordstroms
    parties, etc. Same as most states