Missouri Beef Referendum

Discussion in 'Missouri Outdoor News' started by WBF, Mar 1, 2016.

1. WBF

WBF Wolf Brook Farms

Oct 25, 2013
    On Dec. 23, 2015, Missouri Director of Agriculture Richard Fordyce approved a petition to conduct a referendum of Missouri cattle producers, pursuant to section 275.352 RSMo as amended, to establish a $1.00 per head state beef checkoff assessment. Cattle producers will now vote for or against the establishment of the state checkoff.

Cattle producers will be required to register in order to vote.

Beginning Jan. 4, 2016, producers can register online or by visiting their county USDA-FSA to fill out the voter registration form. Producers can also request a form by phone at (573) 751-5633 or by e-mail atvoter.registration@mda.mo.gov.

Voter registration will end March 4, 2016.

2. Hawk

Hawk Well-Known Member Sponsor

Oct 15, 2009
    What is a checkoff assessment?

3. WBF

WBF Wolf Brook Farms

Oct 25, 2013
    The Beef Checkoff is presently in place to collect or (assess) $1.00 per every head of cattle that is sold in the state of MO

It is mandatory and is taken out of every check at the sale barn prior to you receiving payment for the sale of your cattle.

Now the state wants a dollar for their coffers from every farmer that sells cattle.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2016
  4. Hawk

Oct 15, 2009
    So its $1 now, and would be $2 if this passes?

Does the same agency get the first dollar as gets the second dollar?

What is the money need for or what will it be used for? Is it earmarked?

Whats the avg price of a cow?

Is there sales tax charge on the sale of cattle?

5. WBF

WBF Wolf Brook Farms

Oct 25, 2013
    Yes, the total will be $2.00. This extra program will go to the state of MO. If passed it will total 2 million dollars given to these two entities. 1 million per entity.

What is the money being used for? Thats a good question. A lot of farmers believe it is a redundancy and not needed. Beef check off hasnt been transparent with a lot of their spending. Many farmers believe that there is very little to no benefit for the smaller farmers. Also there isn't a sunset clause on this new referendum. So if it is passed it's more than likely that it will never be removed.

The money is going to two seperate entity's.

The avg. price of beef is market driven .

There's no sales tax on the sale of cattle.

6. Hawk

Oct 15, 2009
    What is "other entity" and what is it s purpose?

Is state sales tax charged on cattle sales?

7. WBF

WBF Wolf Brook Farms

Oct 25, 2013
    The other entity is the state of MO. It's an additional 1.00. Tax

There's no sales tax on cattle sales.

8. Muleskinner

Muleskinner Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2006
    Osage County
    No sales tax on cattle but is income on April 15 so your taxes are paid then.
    The controversy is where the money goes .
    But they want more .
    The only thing I have seen they have done is a little booth at the state fair.

9. WBF

WBF Wolf Brook Farms

Oct 25, 2013
  10. Muleskinner

Nov 24, 2006
    Osage County
    I'm registered but did not like disclosing a lot of the information . What are they going to do with that information? This could have been gathered at the sale barn saying John Doe sold a cow so he gets to vote.

11. Muleskinner

Nov 24, 2006
    Osage County
    I do not believe it is a good thing the way it is now.

It could be a good thing that I would support for promoting and educating about the beef industry . But at present I do not see much .
    But a pea in a bucket .lol

12. WBF

WBF Wolf Brook Farms

Oct 25, 2013
    You only have to provide your name, mailing address and that you sold at least 1 head of cattle over the time frame of 2013, 2014, 2015.

You could have sold any amount of cattle spread over those 3 yrs. But you only have to claim one on the registration form to qualify for a ballot. So ultimately you don't have to provide a total amount of cattle sales for those 3 yrs.

I get what your saying though. I don't believe the intention was to make it easy to get registered to vote. Fairly short registration window imho.

13. WBF

WBF Wolf Brook Farms

Oct 25, 2013
    The state sees it as a money grab plain and simple. If one group is getting it then why can't the state (MO). I believe there was talk of the state dropping it to 50 cents. But they wouldn't budge. I personally would like to see a sunset clause on all of these referendums. We all know that once a tax is allocated then it's there forever. The salaries that some of these officials make are mind boggling and the majority don't own cattle .

14. h_callahan

h_callahan Senior Member

Nov 14, 2008
    warren county

in total agreement with you WBF. thanks for posting this. I will passing this info on to some cattle sellers asap:eek::

15. WBF

WBF Wolf Brook Farms

Oct 25, 2013
    I appreciate that callahan. With the deadline approaching this Friday to get registered to recieve a ballot the fastest/easiest way is to go on line and register for the ballot there. Once you are registered you will recieve a Voter Registration Reference Number. You should recieve the ballot in the mail.

Go to*agriculture.mo.gov*and register online or print a form; or
     Call the Missouri Department of Ag at (573) 751-5633 and ask to have a registration form mailed to you; or
     Pick up a registration form at your county FSA office.
    If you need additional registration forms or have any questions:
     Call the Missouri Rural Crisis Center at (573) 449-1336.
     We can email, mail or fax you a registration form(s).
    All Registration Forms Must Be Postmarked by March 4th.
    Paid for by the Missouri Rural Crisis Center, Roger Allison, Executive Director, 1108 Rangeline Street, Columbia, MO 65201

16. WBF

WBF Wolf Brook Farms

Oct 25, 2013
    Anyone that shares interest in your cattle sales are eligible to vote!!!!

Department of Agriculture,anyone who has a shared interest in your cattle sales—including your spouse, son, daughter or business partner—can register to vote in this referendum.*Each person can fill out separate registration forms and list the number of cattle sales that represent each person’s share in the business. For example, a husband and wife who marketed 50 head of cattle could each register and report 25 head of cattle marketed.

17. flatlander_

flatlander_ Really? Show me. .

Thanks for this post and the reminder, a buddy of mine told me about this last week but didn't have all the details at the time and then I forgot about it. I'm going to get registered and first thing in the morning I'm going to contact my neighbor and make sure he's heard about this too. Pretty sure he won't want to give the state another dollar any more than I do.

18. WBF

WBF Wolf Brook Farms

Oct 25, 2013
    Thanks Flatlander. Other than a booth being present at the state fair I haven't seen much info on it.

Per usual it's just another tax that they are going to try to push through. I knew there were some cattle farmers on the site so I went ahead and posted the info. I should have done it sooner but there's still time to get "registered" to have a voice on the referendum. Appreciate it!

19. henry

henry Fan Boy aka Mr Twisty and

Does Sam Elliot or Mathew Machonahey need a raise ??

20. gravedigger

gravedigger Senior Member

Oct 20, 2013
    Bland mo
    This has nothing to do with the BEEF REFERENDUM, ,, BUT,,, I own and operated a cemetery.. I have to pay the STATE OF MISSOURI $1.00 for every person I bury in my cemetery. It has been like that or a number of years..
    Seems like the STATE has their hands in everyones pockets.