minimum powder charge

Discussion in 'Muzzleloaders' started by Brian_J_BT_MO, Nov 9, 2010.

1. Brian_J_BT_MO

Brian_J_BT_MO Active Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Bonne Terre, MO
    What is the minimum powder charge that you can shoot and still effectively harvest deer say out to 70 yards or so? I am looking for a youth friendly set up for muzzleloader season. We will be shooting 240 grain saboted XTP bullets.

Thanks

Brian

2. Curtis

Curtis Active Member

Mar 1, 2005
    St. Peters, MO
    Certain guns and bullets don't kick that hard so it's difficult to judge recoil. I assume you've shot the gun with the xtp's though and they were too much.

I probably wouldn't shoot anything less than 75grains and I'd much prefer 80 as the minimum. For full power loads, most shoot 90-100.

3. Trad-hunter

Trad-hunter Active Member

Oct 22, 2007
    S W Mo.
    Depends on what powder.

4. kevthebassman

kevthebassman New Member

Jul 26, 2008
    Eureka
    If you don't want to monkey with the load, you could always add weight to the rifle. If it's got a skeleton stock, like most inline muzzleloaders, it isn't hard to take some lead ingots and cut them to fit in the dead space in the stock. You'd be surprised how compact a pound of lead is, and the difference an extra pound can make in felt recoil.

5. yankee

yankee Senior Member

i would think 50 to 60 grains of triple se7en would have enough jazz to get it done at the 75 yard line and closer, i know trackercasey has killed with 85gr of 777 at the 200yd line, we download our guns for the kiddos, the shoot 40gr of 777 but im not sure of the fps, i have never chrono'd 40 grains, 85 grains if i recall correctly was right at about 1750

6. Jeremy

Jeremy REGULAR MEMBER

Dec 22, 2006
    my son shot his first deer with my .45cal with 1 pellet of treple seven at 75 yards

7. hun10

hun10 Senior Member

Nov 29, 2006
    Up A Creek
    2 pellets of 777 pushing a bullet of your choice doesn't kick hardly at all. Should be fine. I wouldn't sacrifice effective kill just for less recoil. When they are aiming and shoot that deer they won't even feel recoil even if it was a bolt action .30-06. They will be too pumped. Just my thoughts tho.

8. Curtis

Curtis Active Member

Mar 1, 2005
    St. Peters, MO
    [rquote=1889311&tid=131506&author=hun10]2 pellets of 777 pushing a bullet of your choice doesn't kick hardly at all. Should be fine. [/rquote]

Unless it's a Hornady Greats Plains bullet :eek::D

9. oneshot 1

oneshot 1 Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2003
    Ozarks
    [rquote=1889322&tid=131506&author=curtism1234][rquote=1889311&tid=131506&author=hun10]2 pellets of 777 pushing a bullet of your choice doesn't kick hardly at all. Should be fine. [/rquote]

Unless it's a Hornady Greats Plains bullet :eek::D[/rquote]

Tell you what on the Great Plains Bullets with Newer Rifles with Shallow rifling,make sure the Bullet is on the Power every so often it will work its way off.I had one work all the way up the Barrel :eek:

oneshot
    :D Don't matter on the Big Grins Pea Shooter.

10. FiremanBrad

FiremanBrad New Member

Give 80 or90 gr a try with some lighter sabots, 185-200 gr. They kick less and still kill deer!!!

11. Judah

Judah Crossbow supporter

Oct 19, 2007
    Warren County
    Havem practice with one pellet and sneak a second in on em for the hunt? :shrug:

12. chuck88

chuck88 Active Member

Jun 29, 2005
    Fulton MO
    ya know the mountain men who "tamed the rockies" only shot about 35-45 grains of black powder :eek: of course they did it to conserve powder but they relied on their rifles to keep them alive.
    I shoot 75 grains of pyrodex to push a 275 grain round ball. dropped a yearling last season in her tracks at 50 yds.

13. Curtis

Curtis Active Member

Mar 1, 2005
    St. Peters, MO
    [rquote=1893770&tid=131506&author=oneshot 1][rquote=1889322&tid=131506&author=curtism1234][rquote=1889311&tid=131506&author=hun10]2 pellets of 777 pushing a bullet of your choice doesn't kick hardly at all. Should be fine. [/rquote]

Unless it's a Hornady Greats Plains bullet :eek::D[/rquote]

Tell you what on the Great Plains Bullets with Newer Rifles with Shallow rifling,make sure the Bullet is on the Power every so often it will work its way off.I had one work all the way up the Barrel :eek:

oneshot
    :D Don't matter on the Big Grins Pea Shooter.[/rquote]

Those bullets sure like to scoot up that barrel don't they :eek:

When I get out of the truck, I always ram any projectile back down again. With the great plains bullet, it could be an inch off the powder. But man, they can hit a deer like a bulldozer :D

14. Longbow26

Longbow26 New Member

Feb 5, 2005
    Farmington, MO
    Well for my 9 year old son when he shots the 50cal ML we put in 80gr FFF and put a patched roundball on it. He handes the recoild fine and more inportantly he can put all 3 shots touching each other at 50 yards.

BUt for our gun i know the minimum safe powder charge is 50gr But for acuracy min and max charge is 80gr

15. Brian_J_BT_MO

Brian_J_BT_MO Active Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Bonne Terre, MO
    Thanks for the info guys. I think that I am going to shoot 80 grains (1-50 and 1-30) of Triple 7. For firearms season, she shoots my encore with a .243 barrel and isn't bothered too much by the recoil. The muzzleloader that she would be shooting has a little more recoil than the .243 when loaded with 100 grains of triple 7 so I think that dropping it back to 80 will work for her. I am going to shoot some Thanksgiving weekend and see how it goes.

Once again Thanks

Brian