mineral recipe

Discussion in 'Deer Management, Habitat & Conservation' started by jnil, Feb 8, 2006.

1. jnil

jnil Member

Nov 3, 2004
    Franklin County, MO
    ok guys, what was that mineral recipe again. thank you very much.

2. Mailman

Mailman Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Blue Springs Mo
    This is what I jotted down on a piece of scrap paper and put in my bilfold........#1 Di-calcium Phosphate---50 lbs (one bag) #2 Trace Mineral Salt (red) no medications---100 lbs (2 bags) #3 Stock Salt---50 lbs (1 bag) Note to self.....replenish every 6 months and be sure to MIX ON LOCATION................I hope that is the one you were asking for. I got it from this site. I'm not putting mine out until mid-April.

3. Redonthehead

Redonthehead Active Member

May 2, 2005
    Springfield
    That's the stuff! I replenished mine last weekend - cost me $23.80 this year.

Mailman - why wait till April? I think they need it now.

4. Thayer

Thayer New Member

Dec 17, 2005
    Imperial, Mo
    You might want to add a bit of soda ash to new sites, kinda gets their attention! Get it out now...the deer will need the boost for lactation, muscle regeneration, and overall nutritional supplement. It can't hurt to get it out their now.

5. Rebel2

Rebel2 Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2003
    Ozark, MO
    So, do you use the entire amount above every 6 months? or is it rationed out? or?

6. Mailman

Feb 2, 2005
    Blue Springs Mo
    I haven't used this recipe yet. I have only put out the stock salt (50lbs) three times a year. I have a spot picked out for the application of the entire amount very soon and around the last of July put out another full recipe amount. If by chance there is an enormous amount left over in July I may cut back on the dosage to refreshen the lick. I can't remember just who on this site that originally posted the recipe but maybe he could enlighted us on the amount we can expect to use in the future.

7. Goldtip

Goldtip New Member

Aug 29, 2005
    Santa Fe MO
    Can you get all that at your local MFA?

8. henry

henry Fan Boy aka Mr Twisty and

most coop's or farm stores will have it.

:cheers::cheers:

9. Mecheng

Mecheng New Member

Jul 15, 2003
    STL/Macon Co
    Di - cal is the hardest thing to get. Not all farm store carry it. Even some MFAs.

10. Redonthehead

Redonthehead Active Member

May 2, 2005
    Springfield
    I have five licks spread out over a big farm. Want the deer to have access to a lick as much as they can (over just one big lick). I also made sure there was a suitable tree for a deercam by each one. A mineral lick is the best place to get photos of bucks in the summer.

11. Chase635

Chase635 New Member

Feb 16, 2005
    The MFA in rolla has tons of di-cal

I would also add a bag of super 10 to the mix & i use a bag of dired molassas as a attractant or dump a bottle of vanalia extract there!

12. Mailman

Feb 2, 2005
    Blue Springs Mo
    I totally agree with Red. I get all kinds of photos of does and their young at my grain feeders but if I want buck photos I'll set it up on my lick. See attached photo for proof.

13. TOBRYAN

TOBRYAN Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2002
    Liberty, Mo
    I bought double that amount yesterday and replenished 11 mineral sites on 2 farms. It made about 3/4 of a 5 gallon bucket full for the 11 sites. After the last rain, I noticed they were hitting it..ofcourse its 10+/- this morning.
    We started putting out our antler max last week and there are nose holes in the feeders already.
    "Big, fat and slow" is our motto!!

14. jnil

jnil Member

Nov 3, 2004
    Franklin County, MO
    what kind of parts do you use. is it 1 part di cal 2 parts trace and 1 part stock salt?

15. Mailman

Feb 2, 2005
    Blue Springs Mo
  16. doublelung

doublelung New Member

Nov 29, 2004
    I made this combination for the first time last year and the deer didn't pay much attention to it.

17. huntforfunnfood

huntforfunnfood New Member

Jun 30, 2003
    new bloomfield mo
    man i gotta get my but to the feed store

18. jksoper1

jksoper1 Member

Dec 6, 2005
    Columbia
    I use Super 10 and a bag of rock salt. I also make a homemade salt recipe, using 6 lbs salt, molasses, potassium, magnesium, baking soda and baking powder. Boil these together and pour on top of the other mixture!!

19. Bowkil

Bowkil New Member

Aug 4, 2005
    Ozark Plateau
    damn Mailman that some great looking property!

i put this out last year and they hammered it. when i bought the di-cal. they first said he didnt have any, then i said o man i was gonna use it for a salt lick. then he said yeah we have some. i asked why he first said no, he said people buy it to make drugs. the guy took my adress down and everything. i didnt mind i just wanted to complete the recipe.
    WARNING: dont put deer cocain in the lick! i did and they stayed away from it! they came back when i threw another 50lb of salt down.
    o yah thanks for reminding me ill guess ill caugh up 20 bucks and redo my lick.

20. mrmurph

mrmurph Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2005
    NW Missouri
    Please educate me...

I assume that we apply this dry to a relatively grass free spot and allow mother nature to supply the moisture. Is it a good idea to make a bowl like depression in the soil? I'm guessing a good loamy soil is the best bet?