Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
70,043 Posts
This is what I jotted down on a piece of scrap paper and put in my bilfold........#1 Di-calcium Phosphate---50 lbs (one bag) #2 Trace Mineral Salt (red) no medications---100 lbs (2 bags) #3 Stock Salt---50 lbs (1 bag) Note to self.....replenish every 6 months and be sure to MIX ON LOCATION................I hope that is the one you were asking for. I got it from this site. I'm not putting mine out until mid-April.

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
That's the stuff! I replenished mine last weekend - cost me $23.80 this year.

Mailman - why wait till April? I think they need it now.

·
Registered
3,898 Posts
You might want to add a bit of soda ash to new sites, kinda gets their attention! Get it out now...the deer will need the boost for lactation, muscle regeneration, and overall nutritional supplement. It can't hurt to get it out their now.

·
Registered
42,108 Posts
Originally posted by Mailman
This is what I jotted down on a piece of scrap paper and put in my bilfold........#1 Di-calcium Phosphate---50 lbs (one bag) #2 Trace Mineral Salt (red) no medications---100 lbs (2 bags) #3 Stock Salt---50 lbs (1 bag) Note to self.....replenish every 6 months and be sure to MIX ON LOCATION................I hope that is the one you were asking for. I got it from this site. I'm not putting mine out until mid-April.
So, do you use the entire amount above every 6 months? or is it rationed out? or?

·
Registered
70,043 Posts
I haven't used this recipe yet. I have only put out the stock salt (50lbs) three times a year. I have a spot picked out for the application of the entire amount very soon and around the last of July put out another full recipe amount. If by chance there is an enormous amount left over in July I may cut back on the dosage to refreshen the lick. I can't remember just who on this site that originally posted the recipe but maybe he could enlighted us on the amount we can expect to use in the future.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Can you get all that at your local MFA?

·
Banned
81,616 Posts
most coop's or farm stores will have it.

:cheers::cheers:

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
I have five licks spread out over a big farm. Want the deer to have access to a lick as much as they can (over just one big lick). I also made sure there was a suitable tree for a deercam by each one. A mineral lick is the best place to get photos of bucks in the summer.

·
Registered
178 Posts
The MFA in rolla has tons of di-cal

I would also add a bag of super 10 to the mix & i use a bag of dired molassas as a attractant or dump a bottle of vanalia extract there!

·
Registered
70,043 Posts
I totally agree with Red. I get all kinds of photos of does and their young at my grain feeders but if I want buck photos I'll set it up on my lick. See attached photo for proof.

·
Registered
7,522 Posts
I bought double that amount yesterday and replenished 11 mineral sites on 2 farms. It made about 3/4 of a 5 gallon bucket full for the 11 sites. After the last rain, I noticed they were hitting it..ofcourse its 10+/- this morning.
We started putting out our antler max last week and there are nose holes in the feeders already.
"Big, fat and slow" is our motto!!

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
what kind of parts do you use. is it 1 part di cal 2 parts trace and 1 part stock salt?

·
Registered
6,027 Posts
man i gotta get my but to the feed store

·
Registered
97 Posts
I use Super 10 and a bag of rock salt. I also make a homemade salt recipe, using 6 lbs salt, molasses, potassium, magnesium, baking soda and baking powder. Boil these together and pour on top of the other mixture!!

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
damn Mailman that some great looking property!

i put this out last year and they hammered it. when i bought the di-cal. they first said he didnt have any, then i said o man i was gonna use it for a salt lick. then he said yeah we have some. i asked why he first said no, he said people buy it to make drugs. the guy took my adress down and everything. i didnt mind i just wanted to complete the recipe.
WARNING: dont put deer cocain in the lick! i did and they stayed away from it! they came back when i threw another 50lb of salt down.
o yah thanks for reminding me ill guess ill caugh up 20 bucks and redo my lick.

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Please educate me...

I assume that we apply this dry to a relatively grass free spot and allow mother nature to supply the moisture. Is it a good idea to make a bowl like depression in the soil? I'm guessing a good loamy soil is the best bet?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts