milo

Discussion in 'Deer Management, Habitat & Conservation' started by Copeman, Jun 5, 2009.

1. Copeman

Copeman New Member

Oct 20, 2008
    Missouri
    For all u food plotters when is the latest i can sow milo for fall huntin. Wantin somethin i can bowhunt :confused:

2. TOBRYAN

TOBRYAN Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2002
    Liberty, Mo
    This month is fine, thats when we are planting ours.

3. Refuze2falo

Refuze2falo Plain White Cracker

Aug 13, 2008
    We are neighbors
    Yeah late June planting will have the milo changing from the milky stage at the first of bow season and the will be a week in there that will really be good for the deer showing up to graze

I'm thinking around the 20th for mine

4. pinwheel

pinwheel Jenny's Lackey

Jun 17, 2006
    middle of nowhere
    June 6-July 1 is what the MDC wildlife management book shows.

5. Heart shot

Heart shot Active Member

Jul 19, 2008
    St. Louis
    I would hesitate to plant Milo, unless you really want to feed the turkeys and quail more than deer. I have found that deer like to bed in Milo, but do not eat it as much as other grains such as beans, wheat, or corn. IMO :cheers:

6. TOBRYAN

TOBRYAN Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2002
    Liberty, Mo
    I've watched alot of deer graze our forage sorghum( another variety , milo like ,just taller...) during rifle season. Maybe it was the only game in town, but they grazed the heads pretty well.

7. Copeman

Copeman New Member

Oct 20, 2008
    Missouri
    Has anybody had any luck by broadcasting milo. Thinkin bout mixin milo apeas, and oats.

8. Refuze2falo

Refuze2falo Plain White Cracker

Aug 13, 2008
    We are neighbors
    Just don't over seed or the heads will be really tiny

9. buxNdux

buxNdux New Member

Oct 1, 2007
    KC
    i'll be broadcasting some tomorrow. it's a first for me so not sure what to expect as far as germination goes

10. HabitatMD

HabitatMD Active Member

Jan 4, 2007
    St. Louis, Mo
    [rquote=1288164&tid=90058&author=Copeman]Has anybody had any luck by broadcasting milo. Thinkin bout mixin milo apeas, and oats.[/rquote]

You are mixing cool season stuff with warm season stuff. Save the oats for planting in Sept. If anything, throw in some soybeans.

11. jmbuckhunter

jmbuckhunter New Member

[rquote=1288342&tid=90058&author=HabitatMD][rquote=1288164&tid=90058&author=Copeman]Has anybody had any luck by broadcasting milo. Thinkin bout mixin milo apeas, and oats.[/rquote]

You are mixing cool season stuff with warm season stuff. Save the oats for planting in Sept. If anything, throw in some soybeans.[/rquote]

Or maybe some sunflowers, that's what I did.:dancin: