milo emergence ?

Discussion in 'Deer Management, Habitat & Conservation' started by marshallgrn, Jun 2, 2009.

1. marshallgrn

marshallgrn New Member

Apr 20, 2008
    in hiding
    i planted 10 days ago, corn is 3 to 4 inches tall, soybeans are 2 to 3 inches tall but milo has not hardly emerged and what has is only about a inch tall, i fertilized this field the same rate i did the corn fields is this normal emergence and i am paranoid? or do i need to mayby replant some beans?

2. pinwheel

pinwheel Jenny's Lackey

Jun 17, 2006
    middle of nowhere
    I'd give it more time. Milo can be planted pretty late. Soil temps may have been on the low side for germination.

3. marshallgrn

marshallgrn New Member

Apr 20, 2008
    in hiding
    pin will the seed rot in the ground the way beans will?

4. pinwheel

pinwheel Jenny's Lackey

Jun 17, 2006
    middle of nowhere
    [rquote=1284414&tid=89840&author=marshallgrn] pin will the seed rot in the ground the way beans will?[/rquote]

:shrug: My book shows not planting milo till June 15th at the earliest.

5. marshallgrn

marshallgrn New Member

Apr 20, 2008
    in hiding
    [rquote=1284418&tid=89840&author=pinwheel][rquote=1284414&tid=89840&author=marshallgrn] pin will the seed rot in the ground the way beans will?[/rquote]

:shrug: My book shows not planting milo till June 15th at the earliest.[/rquote]

o crap then, guess if nothing in another week i will redo it, got lots of milo seed left over, thanks for the knowledge :cheers:

6. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    Did you drill it?

7. nastyjack63

nastyjack63 Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2006
    osage county
    I'd give it another week to see what happens, plenty of time to replant w/either milo or beans if it doesn't come in. I've planted a lot of milo but never this early.

8. marshallgrn

marshallgrn New Member

Apr 20, 2008
    in hiding
    [rquote=1284422&tid=89840&author=rat]Did you drill it?[/rquote]

yep i drilled it, i actually planted milo april 1st last year and had a decent stand minus the weeds, thought i was doing good this year holding off till may 23

9. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    How deep do you think the seeds were sewn?

Did you work the ground first? Is there significant crust?

10. marshallgrn

marshallgrn New Member

Apr 20, 2008
    in hiding
    i disced then drug a spike tooth harrow, a heavy one over the fields had them looking like a ball field, seeds were not very deep maybe half inch at most, and lots of crust, we got rain tonight so i guess we will see, the crust was bothering me too

11. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    I think you'll do fine... give it some time.
    If not, yer not too late to drag it again and broadcast if yer not happy with the stand.
    As pinwheel said, you can go a bit later with milo than you do with corn.

We arent harvesting after all. :D

12. marshallgrn

marshallgrn New Member

Apr 20, 2008
    in hiding
    thought about drilling and then running a cultipacker over it, would that bury seed to deep? never used a cultipacker just purchased it last week

13. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    I'd think you could broadcast and roll it myself.

I must admit, I dont have a lot of experience with it as a food plot but its about twice to three times the size of like barnyardgrass or millet so it dont need to be too deep.

Fertility program should be similar to corn I'd think.... IF you need a kickarse stand.

14. marshallgrn

marshallgrn New Member

Apr 20, 2008
    in hiding
    cool thanks, might just hook the cultipacker behind the drill from here on out for the corn n beans to, i did notice a good amount of seed on top of the ground after drilling all my seeds so i know they werent all buried, crows ate good for a few days