Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Under appreciated
91,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A claims support study was requested of me last fall.
I directed the study, put all the protocols together and did what I was told.
Today, we reviewed the data and what was requested wasnt what they now wanted.... different formulation.
I had no idea and our new marketing manager (came from a different company to us late last fall) made me look stupid for it today. He comes from a company that didnt do the due diligence that our company does so I think there is a corporate ethics dissasociation between what we do and what his company did.
Anyway, our meeting went long and someone else was waiting for the meeting room... when I opened the door, he said "its pauls fault that the meeting went long".
So, the dumb thing I did was scowled at him.
Anyway, I got a ton of other responsibilities that were added early this year and I was feeling the pressure I guess.

·
Under appreciated
91,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
What I did was unprofessional I kinow.. but whats done is done.
Our federal registrations manager was in the meeting and she was the one who requested these particular forumulations be tested.
I had an email attesting to that fact but I couldnt say that in the meeting because I didnt want to throw her under the bus along with me so I had to eat crow.
Frustrating.
Anyway, I'm thinking about looking elsewhere within the seeds and traits, or perhaps trait development team and get the f out of chemistry where I have been for 21 years next week.
Wish me luck... the next move beyond that would be retiring early and consulting I guess....
This will pass but this marketing manager will remain and I know I dont have a good relationship with this dude and knew that within 5 minutes of meeting him.

GRRR... just venting.

·
Jenny's Lackey
47,468 Posts
Keep your chin up Paul, you are hopefully reading more into it than there actually is. Keep on venting here, it's a safe place & you're among friends.:cheers:

·
Registered
21,399 Posts
If its any consolation, I probably would have done much worse than scowled given the circumstances. :eek: :wave:

·
Under appreciated
91,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Whats frustrating to me is that I provided research for this company that supported formulation claims, changes, innovations,etc etc for a product that makes the company several hundred million dollars each year.
I've done this at the expense of a lot of personal things in my life... I've foregone family, weekends personal time, everything through the years and this joker comes in and treats me like I'm a kid that crashed the car on a friday nite.

He's a marketing guy... he has no idea how the product works from technical perspective.

We go through struggles with marketing people wanting to make claims that we cant support technically and the data is directly linked to me.
We make a claim and get challenged on it, I'm the one that gets deposed and has to sit on the hotseat in front of some judge that may or may not be inclined to judge in our favor because we are this big bad monopolistic company.
I'm not going to leave my arse hanging out there because he is all hot and heavy to sell more product.
The data stands on its own, and I wont make any effort to stretch anything beyond what the data says on its face because he has some lofty sales goal connected to his bonus at the end of the year... even at the expense of my own compensation.
Arghhh.... Why cant I have my own company. :D

·
Under appreciated
91,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
[rquote=1578931&tid=109652&author=1FastCam]Vent away bro.

"Its Paul's fault the meeting went so long."

(you)

"Sorry, I had to correct so and so."[/rquote]
Hey Zen.. I think he was half a zzed joking at that point but I was most definately not in the joking mood at this point.
If he wants to run the research program this spring, have at it. HE can deal with the freakin complaining I get from academics, agronomists or anyone else complaining that my treatment lists are too long, whether or not to take to yield, whther or not the herbicide program is pertinent to their geography... on and on and on.
I'm inviting him to as many plot tours in central and northern Illinois that I can cause I know he'll wear some fancy shoes and I'd love to see a 6% organic matter soil at field capacity moisture all over them fancy shoes and socks. :D
I've been known to do it.... I had a highbrow marketing guy on a plot tour in Texas hill country looking at dryland cotton acres one year. He was standing there talking about how we should market the product, this and that.... he WAS standing directly on a fireant mound.
We all just let him talk and it was one of the shortest talks I ever got outta him. :D:D

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
47,218 Posts
Say, don't you know a few folks in security. Just sayin........:whistle:

Don't leave just yet, I may need you as a reference if I try for a job out there.

·
Registered
38,393 Posts
You wants me to send a couple of me boys out dat way with a short piece of lead pipe and break his kneecaps?:D:wave:

Hang in there, vent all ya want!!!:cheers:

·
Registered
8,772 Posts
Paul I worked as a manager for the same large corporation for 30 years. And I too pretty much had the same problem with Marketing all those years. They are what I call SIMFs. Self-Important-Mo-Fos. Don't really know a damn thing about the business but act like they know more than anyone else and the company couldn't survive without them. There are times when you just can't keep quiet or keep that look to yourself..:cheers:

·
Under appreciated
91,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for letting me vent a bit.
I had a much better day today... the d oosh in question came by and asked for some assistance on another matter which I kindly obliged.
He'll have to learn the diff between technical folks bound by ethics and marketing folks desperate to prop up the bottom line.
I'll help him to see the difference. :D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.