Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you guys know anyone who is a member of the MID AMERICA HUNTING ASSOCIATION? They offer self guided hunts on over 200,000 acres over a span of Kansas, Iowa and Missouri. They have almost 90,000 acres in Missouri. I am thinking about joining, is there any of you that know anything about them? Its a yearly membership and I would be traveling from Georgia. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
18,518 Posts
I have heard both pros and cons, from what I gather it depends on what you are looking for and what your expectations are. I know the farm next to my grandma's place is a great piece (700-900 acres) and I believe that the MAHA is who leases it. If not one of the other Associations do.

·
17,685 Posts
hEARD GOOD AND BAD, MORE BAD THAN GOOD. The owners hunt it first and shoot the big ones off and lease it to us

·
Preferred pronoun-Stud Muffin
10,590 Posts
Have a brother who's a member. Duck hunter, fisherman. He's content. I didn't join, cause I wasn't interested in their deer properties (at that time, some 8-10 years ago?).

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
I was a member for a number of years until about 8 years ago, my boys got busy with sports and my weekends were spoken for...couldn't justify the money for the few trips out I could make...

that said, the club was good to me while I was in it...land was decent to hunt, lots in northern MoMo...had to call in early for reservations, no walkins...pretty well regulated with about one hunter per 75 acres leased...if others were hunting the same land, the club provided phone numbers so you could find out where everyone was hunting...spots were taking up quick...land turnover was a problem, scout one place and next year the lease might be lost (probably no different from other clubs)...other club memebers I met were decent, good guys. some were jerks...no different from real life...

scouting is the key, if you have the opportunity to come up and scout, talk to the secretaries and see how much pressure the land had past seasons, would be well worth the effort...if you can't scout, don't waste your time...

rumors run around that the club leases other land and guide on it, members never see it...exclusive land one might say...

I enjoyed my time in it and if the boys weren't still keeping me busy, I might considered re-joining...
Dan

·
Registered
12,590 Posts
My parent's are members and have been for several years now. They are thinking about dropping their memberships though because of how expensive it's getting to travel around. With that said, the deer hunting in Kansas and Iowa has been pretty good for them on MAHA ground, but not so hot for the Missouri grounds. That's about all that I know of.

·
Registered
680 Posts
I've been a member for about five years now. The properties very widely in habitat type, so it's a good value if you plan to hunt (or fish) multiple types of wildlife and seasons. Like DanF said, it's best if you have time to scout. The staff is good about suggesting properties you might be interested in (they REALLY know their Kansas properties), but it's still an unguided operation. I've been happy with them...but I live in the area and only do about half of my hunting on them. If you're ONLY interested in deer hunting in the midwest, you may want to drop the extra coin on a guided trip...HOWEVER, if you plan to make two or more trips from Georgia each year, the club's not a bad way to go.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Neighbor was a member when his boy was in his teens. He loved it as the two would make their reservations, leave after school let out on Friday, and camp/hunt the property they had that weekend. He said he saw more deer this way, but part of that was how much more time he went. Sounded like a great way to spend with your kid. I like figuring out new places...so someday I might join to do just that.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts