Metal Detectors

Discussion in 'Social Club' started by HabitatMD, Jun 1, 2009.

1. HabitatMD

HabitatMD Active Member

Jan 4, 2007
    St. Louis, Mo
    So...I did it...lost my wedding ring while working in the back yard this weekend.

So now my questions that stem from this are....will titanium carbide set off a metal detector?

And if so, anybody got one I can borrow in the N/E St. Charles Co. area?

2. fish

fish I love work. I can watch it all day.

Iffin you can't find one to borrow, places like US Rents It usually have em:cheers:

3. Kickers288

Kickers288 Active Member

workin in the back yard my ass................what bar where ya at dano???:peepwall:

4. HabitatMD

HabitatMD Active Member

Jan 4, 2007
    St. Louis, Mo
    Shut it Scott...but that would be a little more exciting of a story I guess.

Yeah, I may call some rental places to see what I can come up with. Thanks fish. The kicker of this whole thing is I believe the lots at my home were built on an old armory. Should make things real fun. :stickfight:

5. HabitatMD

HabitatMD Active Member

Jan 4, 2007
    St. Louis, Mo
    So a place off 5th street rents them. Got a make and model of the one they rent and called the manufacturer. The manufacturer said it would be best if I had a piece of sample metal to see how the detector behaves. So I may be running to pick up the detector, then go to the jewelry store to see if they will let me "play" with a ring. Should be an adventure.

6. SHEDHEAD

SHEDHEAD Active Member

Feb 15, 2008
    Sure hope you can find it.And hope momma aint too mad.

Lost mine several years ago and still don't live it down.

7. HabitatMD

HabitatMD Active Member

Jan 4, 2007
    St. Louis, Mo
    I didn't notice it til several hours later. The Mrs is optimistic I will find it. I don't share her optimism. She didn't seem too angry thank goodness. :)

8. JustBob

JustBob New Member

i would email Roger who is president of the STL Metal Detector Club, talk to him at www.midwestcoinshooters.com - he can get people to help I am sure!

9. tometusns

tometusns New Member

Jan 13, 2007
    swmo.
    [rquote=1282073&tid=89713&author=HabitatMD]So a place off 5th street rents them. Got a make and model of the one they rent and called the manufacturer. The manufacturer said it would be best if I had a piece of sample metal to see how the detector behaves. So I may be running to pick up the detector, then go to the jewelry store to see if they will let me "play" with a ring. Should be an adventure.[/rquote]

That`s a good idea...cause a ring in similar size and material should give you very close to the same numeric reading as your ring will...and that could cut down on your search time...looking for a particular reading than just digging all the signals...good luck

10. TAB

TAB Active Member

Jun 18, 2007
    Southern Illinois
    Good luck. Once I grabbed a pallet holding on the boards with my fingers in between. I threw the pallet and my ring went with it. Luckily it was stuck between the boards. I couldn't believe it.

11. Chairman

Chairman Senior Member

Dec 2, 2002
    Henry County
    I had to buy a metal detector, once...for the exact same reason. Except it was the wife who lost her wedding band.

It was just plain ol' gold, though...and, yes...we finally found it.

Good luck...

12. HabitatMD

HabitatMD Active Member

Jan 4, 2007
    St. Louis, Mo
    Unfortunately I didn't have time to give it a look this evening. I think I may try to take off work just a little early tomorrow to get her done. I was working on getting the garden in. For some reason, I don't want to just till under the sod, so I've been digging it up and transplanting it to some common area by the pond so it isn't so darn sloppy when its wet. At any rate, started watering, and decided to put some sod in the mud. I think when I was either trying to flip the mud off my hands or when I was washing my hands, I flung it off my finger. I've got lots of clay and you get a thin layer on your layer on your hands, it gets slick.

Fortunately, I had a funny feeling I'd lose it eventually, so I didn't spend a whole bunch in the first place. I would like to have my original wedding ring though. And $150 or whatever is cost is still $150. Almost made it two years. :stickfight: