Merriams in central kansas

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting General' started by henry, Mar 29, 2006.

1. henry

henry Fan Boy aka Mr Twisty and

I drove most of the way to Concordia Kansas yesterday evening and then finished the trip this morning. I was amazed at the number of birds I saw this morning,,but was even more surprised when a flock of jakes crossed the road in front of me and probably 5 of the 8 or 10 birds were merriams. This was on 36 between 148 and 81. I thought you had to go way out in western Kansas to find merriams.

(their kinda pretty)

:cheers::cheers:

2. Chairman

Chairman Senior Member

Dec 2, 2002
    Henry County
    I sho' would like to tag one of those Merriam's... :dancin:

Maybe someday ~ which brings about the question:

What were YOU up to, henry?! :rotfl:

3. JackJr

JackJr New Member

Nov 30, 2002
    Land Of BLAHS
    Todd probably what you saw were Rio-Eastern hybrids. They have amazingly light colored tail feather tips. If there are Merriams there they are keeping it a secret and somebody stocked them.

Jack

4. chuck88

chuck88 Active Member

Jun 29, 2005
    Fulton MO
    we have a few rio's around here but mainly easterns
    I'm hoping for a nice rio this year, but so far I've just been seein alot of easterns.

5. Vector

Vector VECtor Custom Calls

Feb 11, 2003
    N/C MO
    I've got to agree with Jack on this one. While Nebraska has quite a good Merriam's population, the birds in western Kansas are rio's, with quite an expansive area of hybrids in central KS.

Parker

6. henry

Well that splains that. They are kinda pretty whatever they are. Since I was so close to the Nebraska border, I figured they was merriams.

(Rick,,I'm driven for my company now)

7. FiremanBrad

FiremanBrad New Member

Hunted around Clay Center, several years back, and chased these hybrids around all week....really pretty birds!!!

8. Chairman

Chairman Senior Member

Dec 2, 2002
    Henry County
    "I see", said the blind man, to the deaf boy... :pop:

9. BigJake

BigJake New Member

Dec 27, 2005
    Dang. I was hoping for a chance at 3/4 of a grand slam without leaving Kansas.

10. henry

Well,,,the next day I went to Ord Nebraska. I saw similar looking turkey up there that the locals say are Merriams. I belive the Merriams have a lighter white on them. I also saw the famous Sand hill cranes by the thousands. I figured somthing out,,,,,,,1000 sand hill cranes are 1000 times as ugly as one:D

Heres what I can't believe. I traveled about 1500 miles thru Kansas, Nebraska, South Dakota and Iowa and never saw one single pheasant,,,,,,,,,,,whats up with that????

11. clansey

clansey New Member

Feb 6, 2005
    Bozeman, MT
    Kansas has Easterns, Rios and hybrid birds across the state. Generally, Easterns predominate in the eastern 1/3 of the state next to Missouri. The true Rios are limited to the south-central, south-west and north-west parts of the state. KDWP put together some maps showing the general ranges of the different subspecies. I think there were some Merriams transplanted to Northern Nebraska.

12. henry

I saw these turkey about where the red circle is. I saw more easterns than the other.

13. clansey

clansey New Member

Feb 6, 2005
    Bozeman, MT
    I can’t believe you didn’t see any pheasants, especially in South Dakota.

14. FiremanBrad

FiremanBrad New Member

Well, according to thier map there, what we saw were Rio's then...whatever they were, they sho was purty!!!

15. JackJr

JackJr New Member

Nov 30, 2002
    Land Of BLAHS
    The Rios and Hybrids keep getting farther east every year. My son and I have shot Easterns, Hybrids and Rios just south of Garnett. We did a double on two birds last year and one was a Hybrid and the other an Eastern. I wouldn't be surprised to see Hybrids and maybe Rios in SW Missouri one of these days.

Jack

16. Vector

Vector VECtor Custom Calls

Feb 11, 2003
    N/C MO
    Yeah, I agree that they must be moving further east is KWP says that is an accurate map. The NWTF shows the line much further west, and the hybrid line is much wider if I recall correctly.

Parker

17. FiremanBrad

FiremanBrad New Member

Must be the same map I saw Parker!!! Either way, I've hunted there, I wanna go north!!!!!