Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are yalls recommendations for deer processing in the st charles county area? I been going to G and W meats but I dont feel like going to the city.

·
Registered
344 Posts
G and W is the best place to go. I’d stick with it.
I've been taking my deer to them for several years, but I think I'll need to find another place of figure out a way to do I myself. Apparently they are under new ownership and the new owner(s) apparently don't know anything about customer service. The first year I took my deer there, I got the scraps back as a huge block or three of frozen meat, which is pretty much impossible to use. Subsequent years, I asked them to pack the scraps in roughly 1lb vacuum packed packages. No weighing, just if you have a size package that usually holds a pound or two of meat, grab a handful of meat that seems to be about a pound, stick it in the package, seal it up and done. The reason I ask for it this way is it makes the meat usable. The scraps are great for things like stew, or if we wanted to make ground meat, but in a giant frozen block, that's impossible because you can't just get a small amount of meat from it without thawing it, and re freezing it is no bueno. About all the giant frozen blocks are good for is bringing them back to make sausage and what not. Anyway, when we picked the meat up this year, giant frozen blocks. When I called them about it, I was told the new owners say no way, won't do it. That's unacceptable. I don't think the request is unreasonable, and I'm not sure if we got changed for it in the past, but if they had said OK, but it'll cost a little more, I would have been OK with that. But to tell a paying customer that they won't do something reasonable that they've been doing for years is not good business practice.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've been taking my deer to them for several years, but I think I'll need to find another place of figure out a way to do I myself. Apparently they are under new ownership and the new owner(s) apparently don't know anything about customer service. The first year I took my deer there, I got the scraps back as a huge block or three of frozen meat, which is pretty much impossible to use. Subsequent years, I asked them to pack the scraps in roughly 1lb vacuum packed packages. No weighing, just if you have a size package that usually holds a pound or two of meat, grab a handful of meat that seems to be about a pound, stick it in the package, seal it up and done. The reason I ask for it this way is it makes the meat usable. The scraps are great for things like stew, or if we wanted to make ground meat, but in a giant frozen block, that's impossible because you can't just get a small amount of meat from it without thawing it, and re freezing it is no bueno. About all the giant frozen blocks are good for is bringing them back to make sausage and what not. Anyway, when we picked the meat up this year, giant frozen blocks. When I called them about it, I was told the new owners say no way, won't do it. That's unacceptable. I don't think the request is unreasonable, and I'm not sure if we got changed for it in the past, but if they had said OK, but it'll cost a little more, I would have been OK with that. But to tell a paying customer that they won't do something reasonable that they've been doing for years is not good business practice.
I took a deer there to G and W back in October. I am not impressed with the new owners either. I brought them 4 quarters with the bone in. Charged me 40 bucks to bone out. All their prices are probably up 10-15% from last year... I know prices on everything have gone up, but there is no working with with then at all. I got a free long sleeve shirt out of it though.

·
Registered
4,106 Posts

·
Crossbow supporter
32,098 Posts
No better time to buy your own grinder and stuffer

·
Registered
14,341 Posts
Used G&W several times. Always took in boned meat. They are a little pricey, but have a great product. Usually have mine done in less than a week.

·
Under appreciated
90,840 Posts
I prefer my knife and my grinder and other gear.Nothing more rewarding than going 100%from field to freezer to the dinner plate.
I agree And I enjoy the process really.

I will say though that some folks just don’t like to mess with it and I am way beyond trying to convince those people otherwise. People pay for conveniences in life all the time, I do that a lot as well in lots of other situations.

Reactions: 20'
1 - 17 of 17 Posts