Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know of where I can get a cheap used meat grinder that is in working condition?

Or

I can find grinders on ebay, but what size motor does a person need? This will be mostly for deer processing.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
835 Posts
I am in the same hunt. used is hard to find. They are either giant industrial grinders, or small little junky ones. The horsepower is a tricky issue. Some of the little ones claim to be 1.35hp, while the huge one from Cabelas claims that it is 1hp. I think I am just going to buy what I can afford and hoep it lasts.

·
White Board Man
14,380 Posts
Hey guys I don't know how you feel about a manual grinder, but I picked one at Orschelins on sale for like 25$ that does a great job for the couple deer I take a year.

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
I GOT A MANUAL ONE MYSELF, i hate it, but i think i will just add a pulley and motor and get after it.

look at northern tools . com for them and the motors

·
Registered
38,393 Posts
Originally posted by WhiteTailer
I GOT A MANUAL ONE MYSELF, i hate it, but i think i will just add a pulley and motor and get after it.

Exactly what I did...bought one at Orcheln's years ago, was like 85 bucks, and put a motor, belt, and idler pulley on it, all mounted on a 2' square piece of plywood. Bolted it all down using wingnuts, so it would come apart for cleaning.

Deer meat grinds easier if you freeze it first...we bone, trim, and chunk it all up, laying it flat in beer boxes, with wax paper between, then lay it in the freezer overnite, and grind the next day....AMAZING difference!!!!

·
Registered
4,462 Posts
I bought a grinder fron Northern Tool several years ago for about $100 that has done a verry good job. It is larger than most others I checked in the same price range. In the current catalog it is item no 168620-1605. It's the best deal out there.

·
Registered
835 Posts
I have seen that one for sale withthe big pully, and I have thought of getting one and adding a motor. I am just nervous abou the proximity of the pully wheen to the tube to stuff the meat. I would sure hate to run my finger through that pulley while grinding meat.

·
Registered
38,393 Posts
Originally posted by novicehunter
I have seen that one for sale withthe big pully, and I have thought of getting one and adding a motor. I am just nervous abou the proximity of the pully wheen to the tube to stuff the meat. I would sure hate to run my finger through that pulley while grinding meat.
That is the one I have...the pulley is not a problem!!!

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
47,284 Posts
Originally posted by Poor Valley
I bought a grinder fron Northern Tool several years ago for about $100 that has done a verry good job. It is larger than most others I checked in the same price range. In the current catalog it is item no 168620-1605. It's the best deal out there.
We just got their catalog, and they had it on sale for $99.99, but online it's going for $89.99. I might be buying a grinder.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Originally posted by fireman_3311

Exactly what I did...bought one at Orcheln's years ago, was like 85 bucks, and put a motor, belt, and idler pulley on it, all mounted on a 2' square piece of plywood. Bolted it all down using wingnuts, so it would come apart for cleaning.

Deer meat grinds easier if you freeze it first...we bone, trim, and chunk it all up, laying it flat in beer boxes, with wax paper between, then lay it in the freezer overnite, and grind the next day....AMAZING difference!!!!
What size motor do you recommend getting?

·
Under appreciated
92,120 Posts
Originally posted by jpeters79
Originally posted by fireman_3311

What size motor do you recommend getting?
We have a similar setup and use a 1/3hp I think..
Dont wear a necktie when yer usin it. :D

·
Senior Member Team 19
3,491 Posts
Mine is something like 800watts and Ive been using it to process all my deer for the last 5 years... it grinds about 2 pounds a minute and I also use it to stuff casings for making snack sticks and summer sausage. its made by OSTER. And that is 3 to 5 deer a year for me too. I got it for X-mas but you cna find similar ones for about 50/60$ here and there.... but buy extra plastes and blades for it ... i have 3 of each.

·
Registered
835 Posts
I am glad to here that some of these smaller grinders work good. I had a Rival that I blew apart the plastic auger. I want to buy a $100 one to replace it, but needed to here a few people endorse them.

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
Go to a few of them farm auctions around the area, there are always griders on them. I've gotten a couple like that. Sometimes they have a motor on them. Otherwise yeah just need a 1/2 or 3/4 hrs electric motor. Mount it on a board and your ready to go.

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
when you guys talk about 1/2 or 3/4 hp motors, at what RPM is good.

heck i got a 1/2 hp Fan motor from a big cooler... will that work?

·
Registered
835 Posts
I just got done making venison snack sticks. I used a hand crank meat grinder to press out the sticks. That was horrible. I was sweating up a storm. No manual grinders for me, give me the electric juice.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.