Meade Capture View Binocs techie ??

Discussion in 'Social Club' started by atdalake, May 26, 2009.

1. atdalake

atdalake New Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Missouri
    Was going to post this in the technical forum, but it said it was for issues related to this site...so putting my question here.

I have an older set of Meade CaptureView binocs that have the integrated digital camera. They work good and I had no issue with getting pictures off them, until I upgraded my computer and it has Vista Home Basic.
    I put the software on the new computer and can access it, but when I try to pull the pictures off the camera it says "no camera". Found a new camera driver supposedly for XP and Vista and loaded that....but still getting the same error.

Any suggestions on how to get the computer to recognize the binocs?

2. venatic

venatic ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Did you try it without loading the software?

3. atdalake

atdalake New Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Missouri
    I believe I have Venatic...I have tried it so many ways I can't remember for sure, but I think I have. Will try that tonight.

I'm wondering if the camera driver that SAID it would work for XP and Vista was really only designed for XP. Because I'm getting same error as I did with driver that came with binocs software.

4. yankee

yankee Senior Member

id contact meade, see what they have to say, might just be a patch you need to download from them

5. igor

igor Active Member

Mar 8, 2006
    can you change the settings on the camera to a disk drive?

6. mrb

mrb New Member

Jun 6, 2002
    Moberly, Mo
    Did you try to plug the camera into the computer and see if Vista would recognize it and then install the software by itself? I have found that to be the best way of installing plug and play devices ...

Just askin':cheers:
    :cheers:

7. atdalake

atdalake New Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Missouri
    Okay...I'll hit the questions as asked...

*Looked for a contact for Meade, but only one they have is phone, no email contact (not a good sign :D )

*My binocs are old, there are no settings that can be changed.

*I tried plugging the camera in to see if would be reconized like a flash drive so I could pull it up from my computer....nothing....and the computer didn't attempt to install driver or anything. When I try to acquire images via the photo software it just says "no camera".

I can still get the pics off using an old computer that runs on Windows '98 so I know there's not a technical issue with the binocs.

I'm wondering about trying to acquire the pictures through a different photo program and see what happens. If that doesn't work guess I'm left with 2 options.....call Meade by phone.....or just buy me a new pair of binocs w/camera and use these as just binocs.

8. venatic

venatic ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Another option would be to contact the computer goddess Kim Komando at http://komando.com/ and see if she has some suggestions. You can search her website too, to see if there is a solution.

9. atdalake

atdalake New Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Missouri
    Thanks Venatic, I think I'll give that a try. Maybe this will be something that will require a house call from her! :D

10. Ghost Hunter

Ghost Hunter Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2003
    Tell Vista to run in XP mode.

Thats what I do

:woot:

11. atdalake

atdalake New Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Missouri
    Ghost - do huh??

I think that may be the issue. The new driver I installed SUPPOSEDLY was good for XP or Vista....however, the fine name is CV-XP. My best guess is that this CaptureView driver really isn't compatible with Vista, only XP.

12. mrb

mrb New Member

Jun 6, 2002
    Moberly, Mo
    Now I think about it doesn't Vista run 64 bit and XP 32 bit? I have not used Vista but it sticks in my mind that is one of the big changes they made to it....

13. venatic

venatic ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

[rquote=1276707&tid=89264&author=mrb]Now I think about it doesn't Vista run 64 bit and XP 32 bit? I have not used Vista but it sticks in my mind that is one of the big changes they made to it....[/rquote]
    That is correct, but it should be backwards compatible. (To a point)

14. atdalake

atdalake New Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Missouri
    I googled it and dang if Ghost hunter isn't correct. I can set a compatibility mode all the way back to Windows 95.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/using-windows-vista-compatibility-mode/

However, that brings up a question.....what does that do to the other programs.

edit: It appears this can be set for each application(program). So I'm going to give it a whirl tonight or tomorrow and see what happens. Sheesh, all the folks and places I've asked....you'd have thunk someone would have mentioned this before now. Leave it to MWT to come through! :cheers: