ME vs. ME law suit???

Discussion in 'Social Club' started by Ginger, Mar 16, 2006.

1. Ginger

Ginger Administrator Staff Member

Nov 23, 2003
    Chariton County
    Man Hits Own Car, Then Sues Himself
    Claim Denied, Now His Wife Gives It a Shot

LODI, Calif. (March 16) - When a dump truck backed into Curtis Gokey's car, he decided to sue the city for damages. Only thing is, he was the one driving the dump truck. But that minor detail didn't stop Gokey, a Lodi city employee, from filing a $3,600 claim for the December accident, even after admitting the crash was his fault.

After the city denied that claim because Gokey was, in essence, suing himself, he and his wife, Rhonda, decided to file a new claim under her name.

City Attorney Steve Schwabauer said this one also lacks merit because Rhonda Gokey can't sue her own husband.

"You can sue your spouse for divorce, but you can't sue your spouse for negligence," Schwabauer said. "They're a married couple under California law. They're one entity. It's damage to community property."

But Rhonda Gokey insisted she has "the right to sue the city because a city's vehicle damaged my private vehicle."

In fact, her claim, currently pending at Lodi City Hall, is for an even larger amount -- $4,800.

"I'm not as nice as my husband is," she said.

3/16/2006 07:17:06

:bangin: :bangin: :bangin: :bangin:
  2. membergone

membergone New Member

Jan 17, 2004
    Only in Queerlafornia! :bangin:

3. Keith

Keith New Member

Dec 13, 2002
    Springfield, MO.
    Oh boy.........:ass:
  4. Chairman

Chairman Senior Member

Dec 2, 2002
    Henry County
    He'll probably act as his own attorney, too ~ if the case ever gets that far... :roll2:

Reminds me of an old saying ~ "An attorney who represents himself, has a fool for a client..."
  5. semohuntingguy

semohuntingguy New Member

Nov 2, 2005
    southeast mo.
    thats whole differant world out there
  6. Woods

Woods Cooyon, Back from NOLA

I think they need to fire the guy for being a poor driver and damaging private property.

Can't fix stupid.:bangin:
  7. igor

igor Active Member

Mar 8, 2006
    things that make you go hmmmmm.
  8. Lefty

Lefty New Member

Jun 29, 2004
    Yup....! :stickfight: