Me and 4# test line are parting company

Discussion in 'Fishing General' started by brushpile, Jun 1, 2009.

1. brushpile

brushpile New Member

Feb 23, 2008
    Springfield, MO
    I liked 4# test line because it casts further, and gives better lure action. However, I just lost three monster Smallmouths today, no contest, just snap!

Yes my drag was set to give line, but when a big fish heads for a downed tree, you have to be able to turn it. The untra light with 4# test was fun for catching the little guys, but when a trophy breaks you off, it ain't worth it.

I'm thinking 8#, but hate to lose the casting distance with small lures.

2. dookie

dookie New Member

Nov 27, 2004
    imperial,mo
    Don't blame you brushpile. Seems that's the first place those big fish will head!:mad2: I used to use 6# test, but lost a lunker the same way. Very disheartening!!:whinging:

Just curious as to what brand line you use, and how often you change your line?:cheers:

3. tometusns

tometusns New Member

Jan 13, 2007
    swmo.
    I use 4 lb. as well....and yes, broke off a few times too...but I just keep on using it...I haven`t convinced myself that I can catch as many fish on a heavier lb. test....I also have landed several over 4lb.... but sometimes it sure is aggravating...good luck on what ever you decide

4. 90acres

90acres The good ole days

Mar 4, 2003
    Wardsville
    May be the brand. I use P line and very rarely bust the line. I've landed several fish over 5 lbs, including channel, stripers, and carp. Most times when I get hung crappie fishing I straighten the hook before the line busts. Give it a try.

5. SEMObuckin

SEMObuckin New Member

Oct 2, 2006
    Chaffee MO
    6lb Seagar, its expensive but its worth it. super clear and super strong.:cheers:

6. brushpile

brushpile New Member

Feb 23, 2008
    Springfield, MO
    dookie, it would have been Trilene or Stren, from last year. Yeah, I know I should have bought new line!!!

In open water, #4 test might add to the sport... Don't we all fancy ourselves sportsman??? But in a river, current, boulders, trees, brush, and snags, make light line fool hardy. I lost three monsters today. The kind that churn the water, and I even thought one was a snag!

I'll get new line in the morning, but sure as God made little green apples, I won't hook another fish like the ones that got away today. Three opportunities missed. I could tell many other stories about good fish lost on light line, from Muskies to Ocean fish. Being a Midwesterner, I thought 20# was plenty big enough to fish in the Ocean... It wasn't..........neither was 50# test.

7. tometusns

tometusns New Member

Jan 13, 2007
    swmo.
    well... brushpile you`re right!!! what were you thinking using 4lb test....man... three trophy brownies in one day...and you lost them all...yikes!!!you just oughta quite fishin...I don`t think 20 lb test will fit through the eye of a small jig...or maybe you could just take me fishin with ya....:2thumbsup:...I might even dive in after one for ya...

8. Gamegetter

Gamegetter Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2004
    6 lb. green maxima is pretty good line. Gives you a little strength to keep a fish away from trouble, but light enough to cast good.

9. tometusns

tometusns New Member

Jan 13, 2007
    swmo.
    I just keep waiting to see if you`re gonna take me fishin:D

10. brushpile

brushpile New Member

Feb 23, 2008
    Springfield, MO
    tometusns, I do have a good place. It requires lots of effort to get there, which makes it even worse to lose a fish. P line and Seagar... Does Walmart sell it, or do I have to go to Bass Pro? Which one is best?

11. dookie

dookie New Member

Nov 27, 2004
    imperial,mo
    Brushpile,

Sorry about you loosing the lunkers today.Man that sucks!! I do know how it feels. I was just curious if you were using Stren line? I know some guys swear by it, but I have not had good results with Stren.:shrug: I will never buy it again, just not a fan. I prefer Trilene brand of lines but that's just me.:D

Getting new line is a good move though. I change mine a couple times a season.:cheers:

12. tometusns

tometusns New Member

Jan 13, 2007
    swmo.
    if it requires alot of effort to get there, that`s probably why the big ones are there....and I do feel for ya too buddy...but!!!those fish are still there and they will bite again...good luck catchin one of em...and of course we will all like to see some pics when ya do:2thumbsup:

13. SEMObuckin

SEMObuckin New Member

Oct 2, 2006
    Chaffee MO
    [rquote=1283273&tid=89771&author=brushpile]tometusns, I do have a good place. It requires lots of effort to get there, which makes it even worse to lose a fish. P line and Seagar... Does Walmart sell it, or do I have to go to Bass Pro? Which one is best? [/rquote]

I have used both and IMO Seagar is better. One of my main fishing buds turned me onto it. In crystal clear water around here i absolutely cannot see my line in the water. Its 100% florocarbon. I think u can get P line at wally world but not seagar. I'll buy you some seagar if u take me where you losing these biguns!!! :rof2: :cheers:

14. brushpile

brushpile New Member

Feb 23, 2008
    Springfield, MO
    If my secret spot had a never ending supply of fish, I'd be glad to take you guys:cheers:...................................................................................... but it doesn't.:rof2: Getting to it is a chore that envolves getting down a very long very steep river bank, and wet wading over a mile. I don't think it ever gets fished, and that's why there are some nice Smallmouth Bass in there.

I need to get to Bass Pro, and get some new line. I'm still thinking 8# test, because these fish are in boulders and snags, so they need to be horsed into open water.

15. PMan

PMan Retired

Dec 3, 2002
    I switched to 4 lb spider wire about 10 years ago----Never looked back and have still lost a few fish---but when I do its usually my fault for not doing a re-tie!!!:cheers:

16. brushpile

brushpile New Member

Feb 23, 2008
    Springfield, MO
    Plasticman, do you retie after every fish?

I thought 4# test was 4# test, meaning 4 pounds is the breaking point. Are you guys saying that some 4 pound test line is stronger than others?

17. knockemdeadd

knockemdeadd Active Member

Feb 3, 2007
    Arnold(St Louis)
    they ALL have different breaking points.

go with the Seagar (flourocarbon ). Its so invisible, that you can use heavier line, and it wont be seen.

you might consider 8# or 10 #, it'll save you some nice fish...

18. Rebel2

Rebel2 Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2003
    Ozark, MO
    do a lil shock and awe

shock the water

sit back and awe at the fish floating to the surface :D

pretty sure that will solve your line problems ;)

19. brushpile

brushpile New Member

Feb 23, 2008
    Springfield, MO
    Rebel, I've actually done that when I worked a Summer for the DNR in WI. Talk about a blast!!!

It looks like 8# Seagar and a medium weight rod is what I will be using. I hope to catch some nice ones and be able to post a few pics. All of my Biggens get stocked in my pond, to fatten up and get even bigger. Talk about a honey hole!!!

20. Rebel2

Rebel2 Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2003
    Ozark, MO