Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

· just a no body
16,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
let the bickering begin
MDC seeking comments on changes to landowner permits
Changes include acreage requirements, registry, and discounts for nonresident landowners.

JEFFERSON CITY, Mo. - The Missouri Department of Conservation (MDC) is proposing three changes to its free permits for landowners and wants public input. First, MDC is proposing adjusting acreage requirements for its definition of resident landowners from 5 to 20 acres. Second, MDC is proposing the implementation of a landowner registry to qualify for landowner permits. Third, MDC is proposing discounted deer and turkey hunting permits for nonresident landowners with 75 acres or more in a contiguous tract.

Change in acreage for free landowner permits
MDC issues free landowner permits for deer and turkey hunting to qualifying Missouri landowners with at least five acres and members of their immediate households. MDC also does not require resident landowners with at least five acres and members of their immediate households to have permits for hunting small game, fishing on waters of the state, and trapping on their qualifying properties.

MDC held an initial public comment period in March for input on acreage requirements needed to receive free landowner deer and turkey hunting permits and free small-game hunting and trapping landowner privileges. Of the more than 14,000 comments received, a minimum of 21 acres was the most common preference. Based on this initial public feedback, MDC is proposing changing the minimum acreage for landowner permits and privileges from 5 to 20 acres. This change will impact no-cost landowner deer and turkey hunting permits as well as permit requirements for small-game hunting, fishing, and trapping on qualifying properties.

Adding a landowner registry
The proposed landowner registry is needed by both MDC and vendors who issue permits to help eliminate misuse of the free permits. According to MDC, conservation agents around the state find several hundred violations each year related to the misuse of landowner permits.

"While most hunters properly use their free landowner permits from MDC, we find several hundred cases each season where folks do not play by the rules - intentionally or by mistake," said MDC Protection Division Chief Randy Doman. "Many of the violations involve people fraudulently obtaining and using the free permits when they do not qualify for them, such as claiming to be a resident landowner when they are not or misrepresenting the number of acres they have. We also find folks who share their permits with others - which is illegal -- and who use the permits on land other than the property for which the permits were issued, which is also not allowed."

The online registry would provide secure records of landowners and members of their households who qualify for the free permits. The electronic registry would also provide proof of land ownership and boundaries of the properties for which the free permits apply. Individuals would be required to provide their information online through a secure MDC webpage, or in paper form.

Discounts for nonresident landowners
According to MDC, many nonresident landowners provide wildlife habitat work on their properties and those efforts can provide significant benefits to state wildlife resources. MDC is proposing the following price increases for nonresident permits and the following discounted permits for nonresident (NR) landowners with a minimum of 75 acres:

NR PERMIT CURRENT NR PRICE PROPOSED NR PRICE NR LANDOWNER PRICE
Spring Turkey $190 $224 $165
Fall Turkey $110 $130 $96
Archery $225 $265 $195
Firearm Deer $225 $265 $195

Offering discounted deer and turkey permits to nonresident landowners with 75 acres or more in a contiguous tract is similar to a past regulation that was in effect until 2009. MDC eliminated the offering during its last round of permit changes in 2008.

Public comments wanted
The proposed changes were given initial approval by the Missouri Conservation Commission at its May 23 meeting.

As part of the rulemaking process, MDC is asking for public comment on the changes during July and early August at short.mdc.mo.gov/Z49. To comment on landowner acreage requirements, refer to "3 CSR 10-20.805 Definitions." To comment on the landowner registry, refer to "3 CSR 10-7.434 Deer: Landowner Privileges" or "3 CSR 10-7.455 Turkeys: Seasons, Methods, Limits."

The Commission will consider input received and make a final decision to move forward, modify, or withdraw the changes during its Aug. 23 meeting. If approved, the anticipated effective date of the changes would be Feb. 29, 2020.

· just a no body
16,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
MDC proposes changes to nonresident permits
Proposed changes include price increases and discounts for nonresident landowners.

JEFFERSON CITY, Mo. - The Missouri Department of Conservation (MDC) is proposing price increases for some nonresident hunting and fishing permits. According to MDC, permit prices have not been raised in over a decade and adjustments are needed to help keep up with increasing costs of providing conservation work and services around the state.

MDC is also proposing offering discounted deer and turkey permits for nonresident landowners with 75 acres or more to show appreciation for wildlife habitat work completed on their Missouri properties. The discount for nonresident landowners is similar to a past regulation that was in effect until 2009. MDC eliminated the offering during its last round of permit changes in 2008.

"We commonly hear from many Missourians that our nonresident permit prices are too low compared to other states," said MDC Director Sara Parker Pauley. "Increasing prices for nonresident hunting and fishing permits will address this. It will also add needed revenue to help with our ever-rising costs of managing the fish, forests, and wildlife of Missouri."

While some MDC permit prices have remained the same since 1999 and others for about a decade, MDC's costs for goods and services have increased. According to the Federal Bureau of Labor Statistics' Consumer Price Index, consumers are paying 37% more today for goods and services compared to 2003.

MDC is proposing price increases for the nonresident permits listed below. The listing shows current MDC prices for the permits, proposed increased permit prices, and the average prices of similar permits from surrounding states. MDC based its permit price increases on information from the Federal Bureau of Labor Statistics' Consumer Price Index related to cost-of-living increases from 2008 to 2018.

NONRESIDENT PERMIT CURRENT $ PROPOSED $ $ NEIGHBOR STATES

Daily Fishing (1 Day) $7 $8 $15

Daily Fishing (3 Days) $21 $24 $27

NR Annual Fishing $42 $49 $49

NR Furbearer Hunting/Trapping $130 $192 $257

NR Annual Small Game Hunting $80 $94 $111

Daily Small Game (1 Day) $11 $14 $59

Daily Small Game (3 Days) $33 $42 $74

NR Conservation Order $40 $47 Not Applicable

NR Spring Turkey Hunting $190 $224 $206

NR Fall Turkey Hunting $110 $130 $177

NR Firearm Deer Hunting $225 $265 $361

NR Archery Hunting $225 $265 $398

NR Managed Deer Hunting $225 $265 Not Applicable

Nonresidents account for nearly 100% of daily fishing permit purchases and daily small-game hunting permit purchases. As part of the changes, MDC will also limit daily fishing permits and daily hunting permits to 1 and 3 days and eliminate daily fishing permits and daily hunting permits for other numbers of days (2, 4, 5, 6, and 7 days).

MDC is proposing increasing prices for the following nonresident (NR) permits and proposing permit discounts for nonresident (NR) landowners with a minimum of 75 acres:

NR PERMIT CURRENT PRICE PROPOSED PRICE PROPOSED NR LANDOWNER PRICE

Spring Turkey $190 $224 $165

Fall Turkey $110 $130 $96

Archery $225 $265 $195

Firearm Deer $225 $265 $195

The proposed changes were given initial approval by the Missouri Conservation Commission at its May 23 meeting. As part of the rulemaking process, MDC is asking for public comment on the changes during July and early August at short.mdc.mo.gov/Z49. The Commission will consider input received and make a final decision to move forward, modify, or withdraw the changes during its Aug. 23 meeting. If approved, the anticipated effective date of the changes would be Feb. 29, 2020.

MDC permit sales account for about 17 percent of the agency's annual revenue and help fund numerous conservation efforts around the state. Other significant revenue sources include the Conservation Sales Tax at about 61 percent and federal reimbursements at about 16 percent. Sales and rentals, interest, and other sources make up the remaining 6 percent of MDC revenue.

According to MDC, the average Missourian pays about $19 annually for conservation efforts through the Department's dedicated sales tax revenue. MDC receives no funding from property taxes, tickets or citations (which go to local school districts), or the state's general revenue budget. For more information on MDC revenue, expenses, and key conservation efforts, read the MDC Annual Review in the January 2019 issue of the Missouri Conservationist, or online at mdc.mo.gov/conmag.

· Máistir an pointe hocht.
75,067 Posts
Personally, this does not bother me.....

But seriously would not have had a problem if they just did away with free landowner tags. Just my opinion though, I understand most landowners probably don't agree with this.....

As for NR prices, anything short of reciprocal is not going far enough. To me, that's about the only thing MO can do to fight the ridiculous price of NR tags in other states.

· just a no body
16,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

But seriously would not have had a problem if they just did away with free landowner tags. Just my opinion though, I understand most landowners probably don't agree with this.....

As for NR prices, anything short of reciprocal is not going far enough. To me, that's about the only thing MO can do to fight the ridiculous price of NR tags in other states.
agreed

· Super Moderator
28,539 Posts

unfortunately, you need a product that warrants that type of price. MO turkey hunting would be an area they could charge reciprocal fees, but the deer wise would be a farce!

· just a no body
16,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So does that mean no managed hunt tags???
3 CSR 10- 5.559: Nonresident Managed Deer Hunting Permit
Read the existing regulation
Summary:
This amendment increases the fee for a Nonresident Managed Deer Hunting Permit to reflect a more current cost based on changes in the Consumer Price Index.

Read and comment on the proposed changes
Title 3 - Department of Conservation
Division 10 - Conservation Commission

Proposed Amendment

3 CSR 10- 5.559: Nonresident Managed Deer Hunting Permit
To pursue, take, possess, and transport deer during a prescribed managed deer hunt. Fee: [two hundred twenty-five dollars ($225)]two hundred sixty-five dollars ($265).

AUTHORITY: sections 40 and 45 of Art. IV, Mo. Const. Original rule filed July 8, 1998, effective March 1, 1999. For intervening history, please consult the Code of State Regulations. Amended: Filed May 23, 2019.

PUBLIC ENTITY COST: This proposed amendment will not cost state agencies or political subdivisions more than five hundred dollars ($500) in the aggregate.

PRIVATE ENTITY COST: This proposed amendment will cost private entities an estimate eight hundred dollars ($800) annually in the aggregate.

NOTICE TO SUBMIT COMMENTS: Anyone may file a statement in support of or in opposition to this proposed amendment with Regulations Committee Chairman, Department of Conservation, P.O. Box 180, Jefferson City, MO 65102-0180, or via the department's website at http://short.mdc.mo.gov/Z49. To be considered, comments must be received within thirty (30) days after publication of this notice in the Missouri Register. No public hearing is scheduled.

FISCAL NOTE

PRIVATE ENTITY COST

I. Department Title: Department of Conservation

Division Title: Division 10 - Conservation Commission

Chapter Title: Chapter 5-Wildlife Code: Permits

Rule Number and Name:

3 CSR 10-5.559 Nonresident Managed Deer Hunting Permit

Type of Rulemaking:

Proposed Amendment

II. SUMMARY OF FISCAL IMPACT

Estimate of the number of entities by class which would likely be affected by the adoption of the proposed rule:

Classification by types of the business entities which would likely be affected:

Estimate in the aggregate as to the cost of compliance with the rule by the affected entities:

Approximately 20 individuals

Nonresidents purchasing a Nonresident Managed Deer Hunting Permit

$800 annual aggregate

III. WORKSHEET

[20 (nonresidents purchasing a Nonresident Managed Deer Hunting Permit) X $40.00 (increase in Nonresident Managed Deer Hunting Permit price based on 100% CPI) = $800

1. ASSUMPTIONS
For the permit year 2020, we estimate 20 individuals acquiring a Nonresident Managed Deer Hunting Permit. We used a 100% of Consumer Price Index (CPI) to adjust the permit price from price initiation or last adjustment to current year. This would increase a Nonresident Managed Deer Hunting Permit by $40.00.

In economic terms, permit pricing can be monitored in relation to the general cost of living as expressed through the Consumer Price Index (CPI). Instead of evaluating prices only in terms of revenue, a more logical choice for triggering consideration of price adjustments is the relationship of price to inflation as reflected in the CPI. The CPI is a widely used economic statistic and commonly used as the basis of making adjustments to everything from salaries to contract terms and prices.

Comment on this proposed regulation
Official public comment period:
July 02, 2019 to July 31, 2019

· Quack
5,521 Posts
I dont like the land registry ..JMO its seems to be a slippery slope to other things being registered. They have plat books
Shouldn't be too hard... apps like hunstand have parcel information. MDC can tie this information into the MDC app and verify that you are using landowner tags correctly...

what else are you worried about being registered? You allready have your information of owning the property with the county. MDC can pull this data. What is wrong with MDC using public information to verify landowner tags?

· Registered
32,993 Posts
Shouldn't be too hard... apps like hunstand have parcel information. MDC can tie this information into the MDC app and verify that you are using landowner tags correctly...

what else are you worried about being registered? You allready have your information of owning the property with the county. MDC can pull this data. What is wrong with MDC using public information to verify landowner tags?
The word registration........lol

· Registered
2,658 Posts
I am completely for the NR tag price increase, but like CJ said it nearly isn't enough but a good start in the right direction. I would also support a lottery type system as well, instead of OTC. But that's another thread for another day.

· Banned
66,381 Posts

I bet what they will do is require you to register your ground in the system and they will double check and approve. No problems with that from me. All of your land ownership info is already easily accessible to anyone. Of course that wont include children and all multi owner properties...

· Registered
1,772 Posts

What's wrong is they don't always get it right. I filed my deeds with the county and and they still have not got it right! :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

15,013 Posts
I think the registering might have to do with LLC's, maybe not
example. I worked with a guy who's friends dad owned some land near Madison. He had it listed as an LLC and 8 of them were listed on the LLC and all got free tags.

· Registered
32,087 Posts
Best way to fight "ridiculous price" is not to buy it. I bet they would drop pretty quick if nobody bought them.
Otherwise they might not be ridiculous after all.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.